Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another HPP rip off
I heard the new systems now use cell phone towers to communicate to the alarm system ... Good luck cutting the wire on that. Plus the systems have battery backup in case of power outrage or the thief finding out where the central alarm box is.

Most of the alarm systems (brain) are connected to sensors (door/window/motion detectors) Even the siren is powered to the homes AC, but it is remotely turned on or off wireless just like the sensors. There are no codes to remember or keypads. Basically you get a key fob, just like in your car alarm system you turn it on and off with a wireless switch.

One reason they do this is so thieves can't just bust in and follow the wires to the brains of the system. They have to get lucky and search for it. By the time they find it the brains will have called the central alarm system and the cops will be on the way.

That's all fine and dandy... But this ain't the mainland.

1) cell service is "IFFY" in many parts of puna.
2) even when the cops are called it's gonna be awhile before they show up (unless you live on county roads) private roads in a subdivision. Your guess is as good as mine.

So... You could hook the unit up to regular dial up (pots land line). But, if you do that just make sure you put the junction box, where the service comes in (hidden or up high where a thug would need a ladder). Make it hard for them to cut the land line. Or if you got high speed internet like cable or wireless (microwave) you could hook up magic jack to your alarm system and have it call your cell phone... Then it would be up to your to race home or call the cops.

Most thieves are stupid and lazy. I've not seen a home with bars on the windows yet. Hope it doesn't get that bad! Sad

There is a system that will call you first & Police, than your spouse and also your neighbors.
Having your neighbors alerted by phone takes the guess work out of mistaken auto alarms going off in
the hood. No one will get there faster than a few concerned neighbors. Remember in Frankenstein, angry town folks with pitch forks and torches....Paints a good picture doesn't it. Of course I'm NOT saying vigilantism is ever a good idea but, your "Trusted" neighbors are your best security.
Look into HPP Neighborhood Watch. Get involved!
quote:
Originally posted by rainshadow

Anyone have any specifics on the security companies here? Personal experiences? Do you use ADT? How was the installation performed? What are the installers like? How is their customer service? Do you see weaknesses in the system itself, that would allow bypassing? (Beyond the aforementioned "I used to work for them..." scenario.)

Please share, if you have info.
Mahalo.

-- rainshadow

I am interested in this as well. I wonder what the response time is from the time the security company gets the alarm trigger to the time cops actually show up. For the home that was broke into on A street, the alarm company didn't send the police out there?
Security System = D O G

Cagary ... I've know about these for a while but never saw one ... Do you know someone here who has this breed ?

aloha,
pog
quote:
Originally posted by Sue Nomie

There is a system that will call you first & Police, than your spouse and also your neighbors.
Having your neighbors alerted by phone takes the guess work out of mistaken auto alarms going off in
the hood. No one will get there faster than a few concerned neighbors. Remember in Frankenstein, angry town folks with pitch forks and torches....Paints a good picture doesn't it. Of course I'm NOT saying vigilantism is ever a good idea but, your "Trusted" neighbors are your best security.
Look into HPP Neighborhood Watch. Get involved!

Who sells and monitors this kind of system? Names? My only choice for an alarm company would be Alert Alarm because ADT does not service Nanawale

quote:
Originally posted by pog

Security System = D O G

Cagary ... I've know about these for a while but never saw one ... Do you know someone here who has this breed ?

aloha,
pog

Pretty sure I saw puppies for sale on Hilo craigslist, but it was some time ago.

The breed is apparently great for keeping neighborhood dogs away from your sheep, too. You might ask at the animal shelter if they know of any island breeders. I know pups can be sent in from California and Oregon. This site from the Big Island appears to be dead.(anatoliansinparadise@yahoo.com)
-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".
"...
If you do use ADT or some other alarm company, don't "advertise" it with one of their little signs. ..."

Wouldn't they go to another house that didn't have a sign? Seems like they'd want the easiest target.

To the OP: Was this at the dead-end of the street or at the corner on Kaloli?

Puna: Our roosters crow first
EightFingers - near the end side, not Kaloli side.

Great thread - thanks everyone. Exercising all options. I have a short fuse with this kind of scumbag lameness.

One last note: friends have switched their gate to using Krypto bike locks instead of chains and locks, because bolt cutters don't snap them.
Any feedback or experience re that??

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
HTS sold their system and they pay for monitoring. So it isn't the system calling, it is HTS. If none of them respond to phone calls, the police are dispatched.
They own the system outright, so they'll look into, if they can self monitor the system after they complete the move here.
Hope that helps.

HTS sold their system and they pay for monitoring. So it isn't the system calling them, it is HTS. If they don't respond to phone calls, the police are dispatched.
They own the system outright, so they'll into if they can self monitor the system after they move full time.