Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you have a dog
Wow.... timely related dog bite read - a one in a million long shot - One of those learn something (horrible in this case) every day reads:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/thoma...-says.html
Quick update. I was attacked yet again by the neighbour's dog this evening while trying to mow my lawn. Encouraged by its new buddy, a large boxer mix which also joined the attack, I decided discretion was the better part of valor. I can no longer go into my yard and feel safe nor can anyone walk in the street outside without fear of attack.

The good news is the property manager is now aware of these attacks (as are the police and the humane society). The neighbour's lease runs out at the end of March and the property company were not going to renew it, but also said if there was one more incident they would be looking to evict as soon as they possibly could. Today's attack is hopefully that last incident and I have been in contact about it (they also now have stuff in writing about the previous incidents). From what I understand there's a clause in the lease that allows this quick eviction but I'm not entirely sure about that, and am also not sure if Hawaii law allows that. In any case, they may be out soon or at the very least out in a couple of months. Maybe then I can get out into my own yard again and the rest of neighbourhood can enjoy walking in the street without the fear of being torn to pieces.

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
2nd bite is usually ample grounds for legal action as well as enough to put the dog down. Most cities / counties will gas em at the first bite. Breeders (responsible) will put a dog down at any tooth contact with the skin.

a wrist rocket and marbles or paint balls also useful in the meantime
Thanks for the updates, it's an interesting story.
Tom,
I am soo sorry you are having to deal with this on top of everything else right now....

Hopefully they can work to evict, and prayers are with you as you are facing a couple of months that will be pulling at you from all directions...
May there be peace to you from this, at least.
Thank you Carey and everyone else. This evening I emailed a friend in HPP about what happened today and since I'm quickly running out of energy I'll just cut-and-paste the relevant bits as an update for you. I've removed any names in the email.

XXX (a neighbour) and I met with XXX (the property manager) this morning at the Humane Society. He was very sympathetic to the situation and also told us that two other neighbours had called him that morning about the dog situation. We filed a report with the Humane Society and they said they would send someone around today. I don't know if that happened.

[Property manager] is planning to evict the troublesome tenants, but has to give a 45-day notice, so this won't be quick. He said there are other options including going to court, but that could actually take longer. He also gave us a letter he sent to the tenants about the loose dogs which also included notice that he would be inspecting the property on the 18th (this Friday) to make sure they were in compliance about controlling the dogs. In any case, at the very worst, the lease runs out at the end of March and he will not renew the lease, but is trying to evict them before that.

Unfortunately, driving back home this evening on X Road, one of the tenants was just driving off the property, rather recklessly followed by her two dogs running after her car (once again, loose and out of control in the street). I slowed to a crawl and pulled over to give her space to pass and she swerved to avoid me, almost lost control but carried on. She was going like a bat out of hell and far too fast on a narrow dirt road like that. I then continued to drive towards my house and the two loose dogs ran back into the property.

Another neighbour saw this as well and was very angry - she has some small kids who could have been hit by the speeding neighbour (her kids have also been attacked by one of the dogs).

I suspect this behaviour is now deliberate. The tenants have been notified about the loose dogs, several times, yet do nothing about it despite a visit by the police and probably yet another visit by the Humane Society earlier today, although I don't know if the latter actually occurred.

So, hopefully the matter will be resolved soon, but as you can imagine we're all a little tense about the escalation and possible retaliation.

Tom
I hope they end up somewhere where their neighbors are even more of a nightmare.
Literally 5 minutes ago one of the tenants arrived back and announced his arrival with a loud shout of "F**king B*tch* aimed my way, or at least towards my house. The other neighbours have been alerted.

Tom
Sorry Tom 2X,

Ha na Paul, they will prolly find some dead end road, bond with and then 'own' the whole thing WITH other like minded neighbors creating an oasis of hate for whomever put them there ...

Tom, maybe break up your daytime routine ( purposely go and come back right away ) + leave the radio/tv and light on. Possibly go on your own cursing rampage a few times just to show you nutz too ?
Even better you do it out on street in middle of night with machete in one hand and cell in da odda.

Or >>> String up some fishing line all around with whatever you want to hang off it just for the heck of it and keep out of their sight for now.

Stay in touch with neighbors.

Oh and don't forget to "rack" your shotgun every once in a while ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLXkgCH5RIU

aloha,
pog
Really quick update on the situation here:

1) Property manager sent a letter to the neighbouring tenants saying the dogs had to be restrained properly and he'd visit on Friday 18th Jan to inspect the property and make sure tenants were in compliance.

2) Loose dog attacked the property manager while visiting the property on the above date.

3) Dog/s loose again on Saturday, rumours of an attack on someone but not sure who yet.

4) Tenants disappeared on Sunday morning/early afternoon, left dogs but at least they seemed to be tied up. One of the dogs looked to have a serious limp but no way was I going over there to see if it was OK.

5) Tenants arrived back on Monday night, dogs let loose again.

6) Tues 22 Jan - two neighbours attacked in the street at around 5:15pm. Tenant appears and promises to control dogs by putting them on a leash.

7) Tues 22 Jan 10:15pmish I was attacked by dog in my yard 5 yards from front door. Its attack run was silent until within feet of me when it started barking and trying to go for me.

8) The other neighbours and I have an emergency plan for this and 911 were called (although the call was later cancelled after I got to the neighbour's house and said I was OK and hadn't been bitten. All the neighbours were out with weapons (baseball bats, a cricket bat in my instance plus pepper spray).

So for anyone on Beach Road, A or B Road in HPP that heard or were woken up by a very loud air horn going off around 10:15pm on Tuesday night, that was me. Sorry if I woke you but that was the plan if one of us was attacked and we could not get to a phone. It worked very well and I am blessed to have wonderful neighbours who were there in an instant.

The tenants were served with an eviction notice today but still have 45 days before they actually have to leave. That's going to be 45 days of more dangerous dogs attacking eveyone and even then it's no guarantee they will leave. And if they do it'll just be to a neighborhood where the dog can attack a whole new bunch of people.

Tom