Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you have a dog
Have you been able to document a wound with the police?

“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul
just getting a safe walking route down...Tom, are you Hilo side of Pilikai or Pahoa side? thanks
Tom - I walk between Paradise and Makuu. The fellow with the dogs who have attacked me 3x seems to be keeping them tied or hidden. But I am always super cautious walking near his place. After the third time, which was also the time I was hurt the most, I let him know what happened and that if it happened again I would be calling the cops.

The loose animals are not an everyday occurrance. The issue there is compounded by people dumping dogs. (I have cats now because someone dumped kittens on the sea cliffs and the pound said they would put them to sleep if I turned them in.

Sounds like a nightmare Tom - wish you well.
(AFWJAM)Not sure WHY you have asked 2X about documenting a wound, & 2X about how many bites, but even with a MAJOR attack, the police have not been able to show EFFECTIVE control of dangerous dogs, as many may remember this attack a year 1/2 ago...& even when the dogs were finally taken by animal control, they were re-released to the owner....
past thread on Leilani attack:
http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13996

So, your point on the wound being documented????
So a police documented dangerous dog can be re-released???

Unfortunately, this scene is played out too many times around this island...and the police do not seem to be able to do anything...and the laws are not written for the dangerous nature of a very few neighbors & the way they train their dogs

Although the dogs may be able to be re-trained, as those that know, it is not easy, nor a guarantee... dogs allowed/trained to attack always have to be treated with some degree of suspect.... even our now nice, sweet, speckled one has residual "quirks" that always have to be watched for & corrected PROPERLY - & it is a lot of work to always be on the look out for regressive actions & correct for them...
I don't think pepper spray has been mentioned yet ... Maybe a good defense + 'training' device for the dogs ?

aloha,
pog
It makes perfect sense to document the injuries. There has been much talk about how children are at risk, etc, but when the topic of documentation of wounds is raised, the silence is deafening.
Man, if I had dogs in my yard that made me not enjoy my yard...they would be dead unless I knew they were the neighbors dog (first and last warning)-- They would be dead. How do you do it? Just like you would any other pest in your yard but to me a fresh bowl of hamburger and some antifreeze to wash it down would be good. People in our neighborhood used meat and ground up glass but that is just sad and painful way to go.

Anyway... DEAL with the problem before it deals with you. And you know what, there is no law that for eradicating pests from your own property that I know of.

I had a stray dog on my property once. Shovel in hand. It's lucky it didn't try to lounge out or get too close to me. Because later I learned it was my neighbors prized pit bull that got loose. I decided not to tell him I almost killed it.

I use to have a neighbor with 50 million cats... I got a pit/German Shepard giving to me when I was teaching in waianae from one of my good Samoan students. I trained that dog to kill any cat on the property... I can't begin to tell you how many cats I picked up and throw in the bushes. But the problem was solved.
When my brother used to bicycle tour in rural areas he kept a high powered spray bottle on his bicycle handlebars. It had a dilute ammonia solution, not strong enough to harm or damage the dogs' eyes or other soft tissues, but strong enough to stop a dog in its tracks. Dogs' noses are so acute that a pretty dilute solution will make them sneeze and rub their eyes. I have seen a super soaker used to great effect for pedestrian protection too.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
have agree with Tomk. viscous dogs that are attacking you need to be dealt with at that time. Anyone who poisons a dog should get a bullet behind the ear and a oneway trip to a lava tube. period.

dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"
dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"
I heard of a deputy who responded to several dog calls in a residential neighborhood where the same loose dog killed several restrained or fenced pet dogs over a couple of weeks. In one instance jumping/climbing a 4 " chain link fence to attack the dog inside. The deputy reluctantly capped the injured dog at the pleading of the owner as the dog had a broken neck and was paralyzed. The loose dog would flee whenever a human would approach within 20 yards or so. If human, the dog would have been considered a psycho serial killer. The deputy brought a scoped .22 rifle and late one night had an opportunity and took a shot with a CB-Long. It appears that a properly placed CB-Long is both quiet and effective.

That dog wasn't "dealt with at the time". Even if Animal Control had come out at 3AM they would never have caught that dog. The sad part is it was obviously a very smart dog, just homicidal (canineacidal? I like dogacidal better).

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.