Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gluten-free in Hilo and Puna
Does anyone have suggestions of bakeries that make gluten-free items (no wheat, barley or rye)?
Yes, I know about Abundant Life store and Island Naturals stores.

I am asking about bakeries (or bakers at the local markets) who routinely make gluten-free items.
Also, any restaurants you know of who do gluten-free?

Thanks for your help,
Deborah
hawaiideborah
This isnt exactly a bakerly suggestion, so sorry about that, but I've seen lots of japanese stuff made with rice flour and I'm thinking this could be glutenfree? Might want to look into this, since so much asian stuff is readily available. For instance, my kids are always given these cookie/cracker/seaweed things on holidays. They taste like they could have a touch of worstchesier sauce added for seasoning. (just a wild guess) And also, I am assuming they are made with rice flour but cannot verify because the entire ingredient list is in japanese.
Have you checked out the farmer's markets? I think I recall seeing some gluten free baked goods at the Makuu farmer's market.
Yes, there is one woman at Makuu who has a couple gluten-free items. I have checked her out, but thanks for the idea.

Japanese food, like most foods, some is ok, some not.
Soy sauce and Worstchester sauces are from wheat or barley. All tempura is wheat.. No sauces since they have wheat or barley malt.
Rice and seaweed crackers are fine.

I am petty aware of what I can buy in stores (veggie health and Asian sections in stores)

I was just checking to see if anyone knew of bakeries, farmers market vendors or restaurants that specifically have items that are gluten-free.

Thanks for any help.
hawaiideborah
There was a bakery in the little farmers market in Kea'au. She moved her shop behind the gas station that's next to McDonalds; where the Verna's used to be and they once opened the sex shop and there's a barber shop on the corner where the video store was that closed down right by the Pawn shop that's been there forever and has the best deal on Makita circular saws and $1 videos. lol

The name is something like Big Bread or Baked Bread or Bread Box? There's a white sign with the name on it, looks something like a loaf of bread.

Her goodies are yummy, especially the cookies. I don't mind about gluten but, if she doesn't routinely make gluten free, she'd probably do it for you! She's wonderful.
Yeah the Bread Box stuff is good, I'd go in and ask her. She seems very nice and eager to bake what folks want.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
Robert, from the Bread Box in Keaau is a neighbor & does an awesome job, have not noticed gluten free, but no harm in asking!

I do know that most of the sushi ships have mostly gluten free, and we were at the Indian shop on Keawe when a family came in looking for gluten free & they staid & ate... also check with the Thai eateries, as wheat is not a necessity, mainly used as a thickener, and the potential of the noodles...but usually rice...calling to check is an easy way to confirm..

Domino's !!! ... Says right on the box : 0

pog
Thanks for the idea about bread box. I will stop in and ask.

Pog, I thought you were joking about Dominos. I googled it, wow! That is great news for me, a pizza crust that's gluten-free. Thanks very much[Big Grin]
hawaiideborah
A while ago a friend brought me a Buddha Belly bread and I thought it was really good even though I'm not regularly gluten free. I've seen that at Island Naturals.