Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lava Boat Tours?
greg you are way out of line I've known Captain Shane since he was born, he is nothing as you describe about anti aloha nor is he greedy. He also has two other boats with licensed captains and fully insured, his boats are regularly inspected by the coast guard and he pays the state a ton of fees to operate out of Pohoiki, which goes towards the maintence of the boat ramps.
aloha
Sorry, but I'm not "out of line" to have an opinion. In fact if you talk to Surfers, Fishermen, Water Safety Officers, and many many others who have used the facility for decades (and pay taxes to support it), you'll find they have an opinion also.

What part of "boat harbor" and "boat ramp". is so hard to understand? There are alot more places to swim,surf,fish on the East side than there are boat ramps. There is a whole lot of ocean out there to discover and being able to access it safely with a boat is necessary. Swimmers should not be swimming in a boat harbor or on a boat ramp, hence the designation. DUH.
Here on the South side there aren't really other places for people to access the water. Particularly if you take out the clothing optional option, down a cliff, that you may not want to take your kids to. Not that I want to do away with the boat ramp but if we can have it why can't we have safe swimming? There are probably many more of us who would get in the ocean here if not for having to share it with power boats. As for the lava tours, some people probably enjoy the combo of tour and thrill ride. Then again, the surfers and swimmers didn't sign up for that.

Jay
Jay
Your attitude is too common. Not unlike people who criticize kids for playing in the street when their are no sidewalks or public spaces available.

The fact of the matter is that Isaak Hale is the only public space with ocean access in Puna(not counting the fecal ponds of Kapoho). People have been using the boat ramp for the 26 years I've been here.

Your concern is valid however; What are we going to do about it?

The surfers and swimmers won't be denied access. Most of the fishing boats help with awareness and careful operation. there's only one 40 footer with no room to maneuver. It's too big for the facility even without swimmers.

Keeping in mind that enforcement won't work; what are your suggestions?
Daniel, would you be willing to accept the job of telling people that at the ramp. Even just for one day ?
Common sense never seems to come into play in Hawaii.Guess when some little kid gets chopped up into fish-bait something will be done.

A link that explains the difficulties for the boaters.

http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/pdf/pohoiki.pdf

Back to Lava Boat tours.It is an extremely rough ride.Especially coming back.You will get wet and probably sick.You will get beat up!
The sights you see will make it worth it!!
Again, all they have to do is blow horn for quick warning coming in ... Common sense right ? Nope, never happens.

A trailer in the water is a good sign too. Yet you will still see some bodys in the water 'till last minute. Or even when boat tied @ dock for a sec ... Also bad.

Some people never gonna show repsect for the other side.

On that note, the guys that run the boats out of there DO have to be good in ever sense of the word.

aloha,
pog
I'm kind of loner !

I would try to bring a boat in and tie up.Go get the truck and back the trailer in.Drive the boat on and go home.

I would probably be too busy turning the corner to honk the horn.

I know that's not the way it happens down there and usually there is a trailer in the water.

It's the only launch ramp I have ever seen in the civilized world where kids are swimming.

The lava bout tours that I have been on left at 5:00AM.Not many kids swimming then.
Aloha,

Interesting to see seven years later the same debates continue. As most businesses we offer services for hire & are seasonal so when its lava season we aim to keep busy. During the past 7 years we've operated the only year round us coast guard licensed & state permitted boats that boat out of Isaac hale/Pohoiki & as of today have the only legal state issued permits. During this time weve maintained the same 3 US coast guard licensed captains who all have knowledge & boating experience out of pohoiki. Since before the new ramp was built we asked for solutions to minimize swimmer/boat contact but as earlier stated in this forum the ramp is one of few swim spots on this coastline. We have no problem sounding a horn before entering the harbor however many beach goers found it obtrusive last time we did so so we stopped. The simbiotic relationship of boaters surfers & swimmers Pohoiki is not tge overal safest works so why fuss about it. With the amount of traffic this area sees I've heard of very few incidents I think an awareness & education of newcomers & keiki is key to allow everyone to enjoy this great slice of paradise known as Pohoiki. At the risk of being flagged i will provide a link to our website & Facebook page where you can find more info & recent lava photo updates from our boats. Mahalo www.seelava.com www.facebook.com/Lavakai

Shane Turpin
Lava Ocean Adventures