Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiian Acres or Leilani, HPP
Look at the history and fees charged by the homeowner's association of any subdivision you are planning to buy into. HPP has a burden of debt to pay for paving that only covered about a third of the roads, but doubled the road fees for everyone. You can do a search here on Punaweb and see lots of questioning of the HPP leadership and management, but others have had issues, too.
Aloha, we too explored numerous locations on the B.I. before we finally settled on Leilani Estates. I absolutely LOVE it here. It is lava zone 1 so look into insurance before you purchase. There are still lenders that loan in LZ 1 but you do pay higher premiums. Most of the rain comes of the evenings and nights and you can grow pretty much anything here your heart desires.

The CC&R's keep you from worrying about whether your neighbor will be raising fighting cocks and it is a very friendly subdivision. We get mail delivery to our home and all of our streets in section II are paved which is a huge deal in my personal opinion. You don't have to wait to get a P.O. box and you can walk and ride your bike all you like. We also have a nice community center, small library inside and a nice park as well with exercise equipment and a separate section for children to play. In addition to the park exercise equipment we also have a baseball diamond, volleyball net, soccer goals, pickleball and basketball courts and a running/walking path.

I would add that I would HIGHLY recommend that you spend time in each area to get your personal thoughts and feelings. Spend time in both the days and nights. Maybe rent a vacation rental at each area and stay there for a few days at minimum at each location. Then you can explore and get a true feel for the area and see what goes on during the day as well as at night.
Orchidland - 100-130"
Leilani - this is a guess, probably a little more than Orchidland as it's a higher elevation
Aloha Rattle: We too are in Leilani, only last 7 years though. We are in the 'lower third' of the subdivision and totaled 145.80 in 07, 113.14 in 08, 133.13 in 09, 63.07 in 10, 106.14 in 11, and 116.92 in 12. So you can see that amounts are widely variant and will differ from these figures at higher elevations w/in Leilani.
Keep doing your research. Still a great time to buy, though prices in general are rising.

-dwajs
-dwajs
You may want to dig into crime, and helicopters. Both can be a nasty surprise for the un-researched. If you're commuting, making a left is actually an issue for some locations, too.

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
More $$ = better place to live (generally). Buy the most expensive that you can afford.
quote:
Originally posted by birdmove
Never gets cold (we are from the Puget Sound area of Wa. State).
Good luck in your choice, and may it be the right one for you.

Jon in Keaau/HPP

We are coming from central Washington, other side of the cascadesSmile I've seen homes with wood stoves for sale even in the lower areas and although I have been chilly in Volcano area I keep thinking gosh it can't get that chillySmile and If it does I want a lower elevation as we've had enough frigid cold and snow to last a lifetimeSmile
Wood stoves are mostly used to dry out living spaces, although the higher elevations around Volcano regularly drop into the upper forties and can have the occasional morning frost.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
If you want agriculture, why don't you look north of Hilo?
Beautiful country, nice acreage.

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.