Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How cheaply can you live in Puna?
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

It's better to face reality rather than raise false hopes. It's possible to live here on just social security, EBT and medicare. A lot of retired locals do that. But that isn't to say their life is paradise. A lot of the elderly are struggling and there are some horror stories about what happens to them in some of the homes around here, just like there are the sporadic mysterious murder events. If there is ohana, then there is at least that additional support. Yeah, it can be said, the worst day in paradise still beats a good day on the mainland. But misleading strangers over the internet with false hopes, just for self aggrandizement, is the more reprehensible.

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"

I see both sides of the argument, Puna is described as an insane asylum without fences even in the travel books. You would have to be crazy to want to live there [:p], so I guess that is what draws me back there year after year and makes me plan to move there.

Mike you will do just fine in Puna, perhaps you could get established as a house sitter at first for a few months? I don't know about everything, but just putting it out there.

I played chess in Pahoa, swam in the pool and drank homade sweet tea every day. I saved a lot of money by showering at the pool every day, and time. I cut all my hair off and wore a hat everywhere. Clean underwear was all that was required every day (by me) and clean shorts every couple of days and a pair of reef shoes and a snorkel and a float or boogie board, the more beat up the better because if it is too nice it will soon be somebodys new one and not yours anymore. A good selection of t shirts is mandatory, maybe 12 to 20 is the correct amount for a week. I washed them in the ocean and hung them out to dry. I only used the washer for the "dress" t shirts, shorts and underwear. Everday exploring/swimming atire was washed in the ocean with low phosphate detergent once a week and rinsed in the bathroom sink when I got back to my room.

Just some thoughts, everybody is different. I learned to fish in the tide pools to catch bigger fish, you probably need to ask somebody fishing how to do that, they will usually share if you are patient.

Just random thoughts.....[Wink]

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.
Mahalo
Rick
Mahalo
Rick
quote:
Originally posted by Wuzzerdad
Mike you will do just fine in Puna, perhaps you could get established as a house sitter at first for a few months? I don't know about everything, but just putting it out there.

Thanks Rick -- well, my OP is now moot -- my current employer has just offered me the PT remote contract job I mentioned, with more compensation than I expected. I think I can live fairly well on $3,500/month (including SS) without lowering local property values. Chee hoo!

Big Problem with remote work is that it's difficult-to-impossible to replace, especially if your skill sets aren't relevant to the local market.

Always have a backup plan. Hedge your bets by paying off the mortgage (if any) and planting plenty of food...
Keep posting here Mike and we can get together when your dream comes true. I am rated Master at chess online, and there are games every day in Pahoa if you are into that. I would play tourists from time to time for a dollar a game or $5 if I could find a sucker. I made $45 one day. My landlord paid me to mow her grass and the house next door paid me too. $20 a crack every week or less. Took about 2 hours time and helped me lose weight I really needed to lose.

I also credit Puna and Hawaii for helping me through my bout of lung cancer, I was diagnosed in 2009 and they gave me 6 months to live, I finished my treatments and we left for a month in September of 09, I expected I would probably not see 2010, but when we left in October I was slowly getting better. Is Hawaii Magic? Maybe....

Since then we decieded to move and mostly packed up what we want to take but have been put on hold by the complications of cancer since then. I could go into great detail but I am just about through with all the complications, I have my hopefully last proceedure on July 2nd and if that works out we will be in Hawaii in September.[Big Grin]

Mahalo
Rick
Mahalo
Rick
Glad to hear it Mike, I think remote jobs will be paying an important part in Puna's future.
Be sure to find somewhere with broadband. Don't waste your time with Hawaiian Telcom DSL waiting lists.
Welcome!
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

Big Problem with remote work is that it's difficult-to-impossible to replace, especially if your skill sets aren't relevant to the local market.

I don't know the market there -- I write grant proposals, and I'm very good. I'm into the arts, aging, healthcare, the environment and youth. Is there a need? In the meantime, I have a contract job in California.
quote:
Originally posted by ptrichmondmike

quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

I don't know the market there -- I write grant proposals, and I'm very good. I'm into the arts, aging, healthcare, the environment and youth. Is there a need? In the meantime, I have a contract job in California.

Ahh, could be your paradise - many here thrive on grants.

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
Maybe set up your own foundation, get a grant to study Coqui Frogs, specifically to kill each and every one of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coqu%C3%AD

I actually got to where I didn't hear them most of the time, but you would be a local hero if you figured out how to get rid of them.

Start a non profit 401 to study the effects of Meth on the local population, plenty of test subjects around. There are so many needs and a bunch of old retirees just looking for a purpose in life because you can only spend so much time relaxing in the sun.....Did I really say that? [Wink]

Mahalo
Rick
Mahalo
Rick