Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Washer Dryer Recommendations
We're looking to install a compact washer/dryer in our bathroom (which is quite large). Currently there are hookups under the house. Would appreciate advice on:

1. Are there reasons to not put a washer/dryer in the house here in Hawaii? (I've always enjoyed the convenience.)
2. Use propane gas or electric dryer?
3. Any recommendations on models or brands that work well here.

Thanks!
Mary
micro. our stacking wash/dryer is also in bathroom which is so easy as you take your clothes off there to bathe, towels etc are generated there. also i see so many rusty washers outside and also with all the theft problems lately, seems like it is advertising. ours is a whirlpool. i am not big on the front loaders they seem to have so much problems with mold etc.
Buy a good one from Home Depot and buy the 5 year warranty. (all the new washers are electric with computers in them). We don't have the best power here and the salt air + water can cause the circuit board to go sooner.

Dryer? I love solar dryers. Hang em up... Brings me to another point make sure the washer you buy (front loader) SPINS really fast. Most do and your clothes will be practically dry by the time you take them out of the washer.

Solar Dryers don't get more compact or CHEAPER than that! Smile

Personally? I spent 399 on a maytag centennial (the one that doesn't have an agitator) with a stainless steel drum. It's like a front loader but spins super fast. Cost another benjamin for 5 years of knowing it will be fixed if need be. Normally I don't recommend buying insurance but parts are very expensive here. Everything must be shipped out and it's not like you're gonna just run down to some appliance store and buy parts for XYZ machine.

Second choice? This thought also crossed my mind. Go to Smiths downtown hilo by walmart. Check out their OLD washing machines with mechanical timers in them (no computers). Washer probably won't spin out too fast but... If something breaks you can fix it cheaply and easily. Smiths does a great job of reconditioning these to look new. So... I almost bought one. Normally older machines are built like a tank and will outlast the second coming of....

I guess if HD wasn't having a sale on them with free delivery ... I'd probably gone with Smith. So far so good I really like my machine it's been about a year and no problems yet. There is a small learning curve oh how to load it. It takes an hour per load but the clothes come out clean and almost dry. Can't complain too much about that!
I give this thread 3 more posts before it turns into a debate about guns.
It's getting old.
OK, I'll give it a shot....

I keep a top-loader filled with several gallons of solvent. That way, after a morning pig hunt and several hours target practice at the range, I can just throw the guns into the washing machine for a quick spin, so they're cleaned up and ready in case I'm carjacked later.

Eventually the machine broke down, so I traded it in at Smith's. They sure did look at me funny, asked what I'd been using it for, especially after they saw the hole I'd cut in the top so I could loop the discharge hose through. I explained the need for proper recirculation when using the machine as a, ahem, "parts washer" and they seemed to understand.
All the new washing machines suck. Seriously, they are all utter crap. Either buy and or repair and older machine, or buy a speed queen. Washboard and wringer really does not seem that bad compared to that crap performance of the washing machines being sold today. I know some of the new front loaders are nice, however they are unreliable and extremely expensive.
I have a Bosch front loader in Eden Roc. I don't have any mold problems. I keep the door open between uses. Obviously mold can be an issue. I expected it to be in Puna but have had no problems so far.
We bought the most basic set yet sturdy set because they will rust. Not a question of if, but only when.

We dont need all the fancy stuff to get our clothes clean. Just energy efficient and simple. Same with the dryer.

Bought them from a garage sale from a little old lady who had died and barely used them and she had all the manuals and the family apologized that they let the warranty lapse the year before.

ditto Home Depot. Not Sears, not Sears!! And I have learned that 3-yr. or 5 yr. warranties are good, good here on the island.

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
Maybe similar to cooking pans, they all do the same thing .. and who cares if they rust ? The inside still clean.
You need hot / cold, gentle and regular das it. ... IMO.

6 years on outdoor, Fern acres raised, 399.00 washer and still going strong.

Inside vs. outside ........ Hawaii ?????? I guess it depends if you are the type of person who drives with windows up or down on what would be considered a beautiful 'laundry day'