Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Think I may have termites. :(
At least I am seeing swarmers landing in the area outside my kitchen window when I have the lights (inside fluorescent) on at night.
Anyone recommend a good company to do an inspection?
Puna: Our roosters crow first
just because you have them flying around OUTSIDE when lights are on doesnt mean you have them eating your house.. If you see the small mounds of dropping and residue from them, thats a different story IMO

this page prob help, hopefully its unbias info

http://www.termites.com/local/hawaii/

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
I've had very good experience with Veteran Termite & Pest Control...

http://veterantermite.com
So can anyone who's had the tenting done tell me what they paid? It would be nice to an idea before I call in some companies.
I think I will do the tenting, but I'm going to wait until the swarming season is over, hopefully around August or September.
I have a smallish 2 bedroom house and I think it was around 8 to 9 hundred dollar range. 870 if I remember correctly.

It is certainly swarm season and termites are coming out of all the dead wood that naturally already exists out there and also from your neighbors old shed in the back of his property etc. So as bananahead said if you're only seeing them outside that is not a definitive sign your house is infested. If you have been keeping the doors and widows closed and your house is relatively mosquito proof and you see large swarms of termites under your lights inside your house then...Well then it's probably time to tent. Termite poop is another sign too unless you have drywall. Then it can be hidden while those bastards munch away.
My 2000 sq. ft. Geodesic Dome cost $1400 to tent. Swarmers are everywhere right now. Home Depot last night was termite central, had to brush them off while shopping. The bright lights & open doors invite them in. Wonder about all that wood . . .
No need to wonder...most of the untreated word comes with "a little something extra!"... we were amazed we we replaced our exterior doors with pre-hung doors from HD...the frame wood is not treated (on exterior doors!) ... so we replaced the frames after a short time... not what we had wanted!
My house is is pretty well mosquito proof. I didn't know my new hobby after moving here was making screens!
I haven't seen any termites inside, but I do have some fear of the "unseen"...