Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fukushima
I see that link quoted your previous LA Times story but left out the bit about the radiation being so minuscule that it could not possibly harm any living being. Typical alarmist nonsense from another hopeless website.

What bad news has followed us here?

Maybe the tsunami survivors in Japan could get together and start a fund for the poor overstressed people in Hawaii.
Trying again:

After all, what could possibly go wrong?

Everyone get the joke yet?
[Big Grin] One week ago, TECPO admitted that hundreds of tons of highly radioactive water had leaked from a steel tank at the plant and that as much as 300 tons of contaminated water has been escaping into the sea every day since the plant was devastated by a magnitude-9 earthquake and tsunami in March 2011. The Japanese government has finally lost patience with the bungling efforts of Tokyo Electric Power Company to get the crippled reactors at the Fukushima nuclear plant under control.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...actor.html

You can lead a jackass to knowledge, but you can't make him think.
Take the time to read, before you discredit a site. The graphic's where done by the University of Hawaii.

Keep believing our Govt officials who continue to raise the limit of radiation in your food that you consume.

http://www.naturalcuresnotmedicine.com/2...g0QsWR5.99
I did read your link and your naturalcuresnotmedicine website is a criminal waste of bits.
How can you read that nonsense? Don't believe in medicine? Wow, vaccines cause brain damage!

TEPCO have made a mess but there is no evidence of any danger to Hawaii.
There is no safe level of radiation . every exposure no matter how small - raises the organisms chance of cancer

now stocks of salmon and herring are testing positive - while the oceans may disperse radiation - fish re concentrate it last I checked we all live in that ocean environment ....

meanwhile there is more and more concern that the core may have melted into the water table - and again is becoming critical - ie nuclear fission has started again.....

good read on the safety of lack there of radiation

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/08/a...mless.html

"Nuclear apologists pretend that people are exposed to more radiation from bananas than from Fukushima.

But unlike low-levels of radioactive potassium found in bananas – which our bodies have adapted to over many years – cesium-137 and iodine 131 are brand new, extremely dangerous substances.

The EPA explains:

The human body is born with potassium-40 [the type of radiation found in bananas] in its tissues and it is the most common radionuclide in human tissues and in food. We evolved in the presence of potassium-40 and our bodies have well-developed repair mechanisms to respond to its effects. The concentration of potassium-40 in the human body is constant and not affected by concentrations in the environment."
"There is no safe level of radiation"

This is the problem. That statement is absolutely not true. If it was, then bananas would be illegal.
Every risk has a number. You don't worry about getting cancer from bananas if the chance is less than being hit by an asteroid.
Too many people don't have enough of a scientific education.

ETA - the statement that the body has adapted to radiation from bananas but not caesium displays a breathtaking lack of knowledge of nuclear physics. Please read up on the basics before posting about it.

You really should try reading reputable websites. That crock website you quoted from can't even spell common words correctly and you trust it to inform you about radiation?
Here's a handy chart for those who are having trouble with the concept.

http://xkcd.com/radiation/

Note that all radiation is not created equal.

facts is facts ....did you know that according to studies - folks who watch Fox are less informed than folks who watch no news ..... sources are important - so is peer review.....

"Even the very lowest levels of radiation are harmful to life, scientists have concluded in the Cambridge Philosophical Society’s journal Biological Reviews. Reporting the results of a wide-ranging analysis of 46 peer-reviewed studies published over the past 40 years, researchers from the University of South Carolina and the University of Paris-Sud found that variation in low-level, natural background radiation was found to have small, but highly statistically significant, negative effects on DNA as well as several measures of health.

The review is a meta-analysis of studies of locations around the globe …. “Pooling across multiple studies, in multiple areas, and in a rigorous statistical manner provides a tool to really get at these questions about low-level radiation.”

Mousseau and co-author Anders Møller of the University of Paris-Sud combed the scientific literature, examining more than 5,000 papers involving natural background radiation that were narrowed to 46 for quantitative comparison. The selected studies all examined both a control group and a more highly irradiated population and quantified the size of the radiation levels for each. Each paper also reported test statistics that allowed direct comparison between the studies."

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/nov/21/...l-20111121
"Physicians for Social Responsibility notes:

According to the National Academy of Sciences, there are no safe doses of radiation. Decades of research show clearly that any dose of radiation increases an individual’s risk for the development of cancer.

“There is no safe level of radionuclide exposure, whether from food, water or other sources. Period,” said Jeff Patterson, DO, immediate past president of Physicians for Social Responsibility. “Exposure to radionuclides, such as iodine-131 and cesium-137, increases the incidence of cancer. For this reason, every effort must be taken to minimize the radionuclide content in food and water.”

“Consuming food containing radionuclides is particularly dangerous. If an individual ingests or inhales a radioactive particle, it continues to irradiate the body as long as it remains radioactive and stays in the body,”said Alan H. Lockwood, MD, a member of the Board of Physicians for Social Responsibility."

rest my case on low level radiation (and Fox) being bad news.... off to the yard-an early one today
Let's look at the bright side. Humans just aren't working. Maybe the radiation will cause a positive evolutionary effect.
I remember the conspiracy guys a couple of years ago talking about how we will fall apart in six months if Obama is elected. Gas was supposed to go over 6$ a gallon. and we were just plain stupid for not listening. If it's on the Internet, it has to be true.
Not a cloud in the sky here in upper Puna. I'll take today. There's nothing I can do to "prepare" for the levels of nuclear radiation being talked about. I guess if the sky really is falling, I should put on a helmet.