Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hawaiihealthconnector.com
Anybody having much luck with the site? What sort of premiums are you getting? Seems expensive given that I would have to pay 30% of the costs myself. Thinking it would be cheaper to just pay the fine or the catastrophic plan(lucky I qualify) though I don't understand it. I keep my healthcare costs under $1000 a year out of pocket, so that plus the fine would still be a lot cheaper. It is very confusing though.

Anyone else have much luck understanding it? How are your costs looking?
Insurance is a scam, if it wasn't they wouldn't be making it mandatory. Manage your money wisely and don't live in fear. Insurance is an unconcious addmitance of living in fear - most often fear of something that will never happen.

I wish I could convince people X calamity would befall them if they don't pay me Y amount of dollars. What a scam.
But you have to pay 2.5% of your income to the IRS if you don't get it. I am trying to figure out the most cost effective option, which may in fact be paying the fine. Looks like the average premium is about 10% of income plus 30% of the medical costs which honestly seems very expensive to me.
"Insurance is a scam, if it wasn't they wouldn't be making it mandatory"
The reason it's mandatory is so that it's cheaper for everyone on average, and everyone gets to be insured.
The rest of the world figured this out long ago.

Paying a 2.5% fine does seem cheaper than 10%, but what if someone gets really sick one year?
I cant afford to.
Insurance is, in fact, a scam, not to be confused with "healthcare".

Per my read of the regulations, you are exempt from both the coverage requirement and the fine if the insurance would cost more than 8% of your MAGI. (For most people, this is the same as your AGI; the modifications involve passive activity income that the "average" taxpayer will never experience.)

HMSA quoted me $500/month; my AGI is nowhere near $75K/year, presto, I'm exempt ... and guess what? I still don't have insurance.
I guess they get better or die Paul. Just like if they saw a doctor. How many people die each year from infections they got in hospitals? Wait ? Oh yeah. Lets pay for that kind of quality care. ' just in case '
quote:
Originally posted by rainyjim

Insurance is a scam, if it wasn't they wouldn't be making it mandatory. Manage your money wisely and don't live in fear. Insurance is an unconcious addmitance of living in fear - most often fear of something that will never happen.

I wish I could convince people X calamity would befall them if they don't pay me Y amount of dollars. What a scam.

Obviously, you are either very young, or have been lucky and never been sick or both.

That's how I know how you feel justified in saying what you just said.

Until the day you have a heart attack. Life will cost you or insurance 150 to 300K.

Guess you are just a dead man!
So you don't have any insurance (car, house, life, travel, medical - it's all a "scam") and you think hospitals are where you go to get sick. You're going to have an interesting though possibly short life.
DP