Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greggor made NYTimes!
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/05/us/on-hawaii-a-lonely-quest-for-facts-about-gmos.html?hp&_r=0
Thanks for posting. I enjoyed reading the article.

That Greggor took the time to investigate GMO claims made by both sides of the issue, shows he's doing his job. It takes a lot of time to read, ask questions, and verify so much information from constituents, scientists, growers, etc. He sounds like a thoughtful person and councilman.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Great article, courageous guy. Thanks.
Definitely one of the better examples of good journalism I've read recently. The article is a good tutorial on pretty much all the standard GMO talking points and the responses from each side. A lot of direct quotes including several from UH scientists.

Kudos to Greggor, not only to listening carefully to what the scientists were telling him, but also to go out into the wider world for more information and then critically and rationally evaluating where the evidence lies. Not feeling very positive about our representative Zendo Kern who seems to pay more attention to a loud crowd then to the facts of the issue and the long term effects of this legislation on agriculture on the Big Island, certainly here in Puna.
Good for him. If only council members bothered to get the facts about anything. Glad he had the courage to vote based on facts.
This is certainly a hot topic. as was said in the article “There’s a saying, ‘If you control the seed, you control the food; if you control the food, you control the people.’ ”

That is what everyone has to worry about. It really has nothing to do with if its long term poison. Almost all grain products are laced with GMO of some sort. Once all organic life has a patent on it, YOU will pay dearly to eat or pay a fine and go to jail for patent infringement.

quote:
Once all organic life has a patent on it, YOU will pay dearly to eat or pay a fine and go to jail for patent infringement.

Related: the megacorps are wrapping their "intellectual property" rights into "free-trade treaties" such that protection of their IP pre-empts national sovereignty.

Of course, these "treaties" are negotiated in secret; the only reason anyone has any idea what's going on is that these "secret" documents are being leaked to the press.
Our U.S. Supreme Court ruled against patenting a natural genome.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Fantastic article and a real profile in courage. Ilagan has certainly earned my respect and my vote should he run for office again. His vote was well-informed. He did the research and acted based on science and not emotion.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

Our U.S. Supreme Court ruled against patenting a natural genome.

Yes, but once heritage seed is contaminated with GMO (patented) its a different ballgame.