Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woman's body found off Kalapana
Hi phbratton. [Smile]

The "excluded" is a quote from Lieutenant Esteban (I believe that is his rank) at the press conference, after Tiffany asked for clarification on the number of tents and scenes. It is in the Q&A portion. When asked to elaborate, he says they determined the campsite belonged to another individual who was excluded, meaning ruled not pertinent to the crime in the opinion of the investigators.

The tent and campsite of the orange tent with the cut clothesline and blood was first checked out only a few hours after Brittany was discovered. HPD applied for a warrant, and it was granted, and that search was executed prior to HPD being led to the actual Bo & Brittany campsite. The clotheslines, rope coiled in tent, and blood on clothes and tent are listed in the affidavit for probable cause to get the warrant.
I also found it very odd that the initial campsite had bloodstains, yet the tent described was not Bo or Brittany's. Then, when Esteban said they excluded that tent and its belongings, it blew my mind. I also love how officers couldn't recall if the bottle of liquor was full or empty.

Its not that HPD is understaffed, its the fact that there staff is either incompetent or corrupt. I feel its a mixture of both.

There needs to be another press conference. I think there should be more journalists involved in this press conference also.
Here is the timeline I made from the warrant documents, with one or two other facts concerning phone calls. May as well keep it on the same page as my other post so as to help clarify what I am talking about. For reference, I put all the names of officers in that were on the documents and identify which documents are the source.
-----------

MAY 27
Noon
Time reported by Kathleen Johnson last spoke to Bo Johnson.
Note: HPD confirms at press conference calls from Bo to his family on this date and not after.

May 28
(statement of observations from 5/29 Affidavit of Det. Amuimuia in Warrant Request from Judge Kuwahara)

6:26 AM Fire dispatch notified Body found
Body location is given as GPS coord. N19.19.238, W155.0.769

9:05 AM Detective Grant Todd conduct aerial checks with HFD chopper.

9:10 AM Det Todd locates a campsite at GPS N 19.20.799, Wi55.0.769, 15-20 feet from water.
Orange and gray tent.
Close proximity to where body was found.
No other campsites nearby.

10 AM Det. Todd and Almeida arrive at this campsite.
Orange and gray single vestibule Ozark trail tent appox. 6X6.

Two clotheslines, one tied to tree 5Ô away from tent w/clothing, second tied to tree 20Ô to SE of tent, cut, no clothing.
Possible blood on clothing on first line and on back of tent.

Det Todd (who has viewed body), notes bundle of nylon rope inside tent, consistent with width of marks on her neck, which he had personally viewed.

MAY 28 Boaz Johnson supposed to sign at title company, per his family.

Approx 8 AM
"Kalapana Ed" Elarth states he spoke with Boaz Johnson by phone (Ed initiated the call), after hearing a body had been found.

MAY 29

8:00 AM Autopsy rules homicide by strangulation.

11:23 AM Affidavit by Detective Fetuutuunai Amuimuia requesting search warrant from Judge Kuwahara.

Gives GPS coordinates of N 19.20.799, Wi55.0.769, 15-20 feet from shoreline, location of the "orange and gray" tent with the clotheslines nearby.

Looking for nylon fiber rope among other things.

Search warrant was issued by Judge David Kuwahara

(note from Exhibit A attached to request for Freitas warrant, written by Det. Almeida.)
Warrant executed on "a campsite" in the Kalapana lava field.

7:45 PM Kathleen Johnson reports Bo Johnson missing to Robert Almeida, missing persons report initiated.

MAY 30
(from Exhibit A attached to request for Freitas warrant)

8:30 AM
Sergeant Derr contacts Detective Robert Almeida, saying Neal Davis and Edward Elarth have info as to loaction of Bo and BrittanyÔs campsite.

Office Matsumura goes with Almeida, Davis and Elarth to KaÔawaloa Estate and walk south 10 minutes through lava field.

11:00 AM
Comes to gray and yellow tent 7x7, stated by detective to be GPS 19.21.21 N, 154.58.44 W TMK 3-1-2-42-14

Tent is unzipped by HPD and verified unoccupied but not searched.
Elarth and Davis verify that this is indeed Royal and Johnson campsite (for the last two weeks).

11:10
Almeida observes drag marks, human hair, tissue leading makai, hair resembling victim, approx. 100 yards south of the tent site and proceeding makai towards ocean.

11:30
Officer Brian Markham, walking makai through the forest kipuka proximate to campsite, finds backback, cell phone, knife. Backpack contains Boaz Johnson Alaska State ID.

2:10
Det. Almeida is informed victim has been IDÔd as Brittany Jane Royal by Fingerprint Technician.
Officers cordon off campsite and request search warrant from Judge Harry Freitas.

MAY 30 (contÔd)
Judge Freitas grants warrant for the campsite (the second scene with the yellow tent).

May 30
Per HPD press conference, this is the date they believe Boaz Johnson hanged himself. The note is dated.

BoÔs body was found in a small kipuka 1 1/2-2 miles mauka of the campsite. No personal effects other than the composition book. No sign of a campsite there, no food, tent, anything. No sign other people had been there. per Asst. Chief Tavares.

Tavares states the rope used in hanging was a "similar type of rope" to the rope used to strangle Brittany. When asked about a specific type of rope, this is all he will commit to.

Tavares states that Bo did not call his family after May 27th. He confirms there was a call from Ed Elarth. He states there were some phone calls and messages left (I think he means voicemail) on the 28th and 29th. He does not say whether the voice mail messages showed as listened to or new. (I would like to know.) He would not say the identity of any other callers or persons called.

Tavares states that HPD cannot say with certainty when Brittany died, not the day even. This in response to whether Bo speaking to mother on the 27th was prior to the murder.

ed. to fix formatting.
I wrote this before Bo was found but I'll write it again, I guess. If his family still believes he's innocent, and they do, they should get an Hawaiian lawyer to work in their interests. It would cost some bucks to do it but if they can afford to do so, they should do it.

A family's lawyer could demand, I think, independent inspection of all the evidence. Doesn't America's freedom of information act cover this?
anony_mouse, I agree!

There seemed to be an answer from Esteban from off camera about the liquor bottle, but I canÔt hear what he says.

It is pretty bad. When asked to elaborate on the method that Bo used to carry out his suicide, and Tavares says, "he hung himself" -- looks as if heÔs thinking, I already said that! Then asked if Bo stood on something, he replies "he hung himself from a tree."

If those lines were delivered by someone like, say, Adam Sandler, or Kevin Neelon, it could easily be a comedy bit. IÔm sorry to say that but itÔs true.

I have spoken to Lt. Esteban before, and I consider him highly intelligent and well spoken under normal circumstances.
Adam-I-Am,
I donÔt know what the law allows exactly, but I know there is a recent case where a mother refused to accept the suicide ruling for her daughter who was found hanging, and she hired forensic investigators.

After 5 years, Florida reopened the case and rescinded the suicide ruling. Her death has been reclassified as a homicide.
The Sheena Morris story ran on 20/20 this last October.

Here is an article on it, lots more online including the 20/20 segment.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...icide.html

I donÔt know what to think with this case here. I donÔt feel like it is possible to begin to conclude anything definite until the police share the results of the DNA evidence and the note.

That said, cases such as Sheena Morris and Dawn Gambsky give us reason not to say "oh, then that is that" when the police make a ruling.
quote:
Originally posted by Kelena

If you simply can't move on, perhaps you could at least have the dignity to keep it to yourself. The mother of the victim and of the victim's unborn child has come forth to thank the community for its support and to indicate that she accepts the finding that Boaz Johnson was the murderer. The victim's father and grandfather concur. By what right does someone sitting at a keyboard in a cabin on the arctic tundra announce that Mr. Johnson didn't do this, without citing a scintilla of evidence that would cast a REASONABLE doubt on the findings?

The perpetrator was found hanging from a tree near the site of the crime scene. He wrote a three page confession which an independent forensic expert determined was in Mr. Johnson's hand. The confession describes having killed the victim and having attempted to dispose of her body in a manner consistent with the gloomy and gory trail from the campsite to the ocean and with the place where her body was found. He goes on to say that he is going to kill himself. One looks up, and there he is.

If the mother of the victim can accept the findings, then I think it is incumbent on the rest of us to do the same, or at least to keep our counsel. No one can question the energy and devotion of the family to seek justice in this case. They moved heaven and earth...and our community as well, not to mention thousands and maybe even hundreds of thousands of others. If they are satisfied that justice has been done, then so am I.

This murder cast an unfortunate pall on one of the most uniquely beautiful areas of Earth. There has been a darkness there that you could just feel. Many of us avoided the area for that reason. Boaz Johnson summoned a special brand of evil there. He did it only briefly and he regretted it but the stain was great. The sea is loud there and he could not escape its noise or the darkness of his own thoughts and deeds. That is not to say that only angels walk in Kalapana and that no bad thing has ever happened there before. But those issues are distinct from the question of who killed Brittany-Jane Royal -- a question which has been resolved to the family's satisfaction.

In time we will remember this place for its dynamic and powerful beauty and for the beauty of a young and adventurous feminine soul who saw it as we do and who spent her final days breathing the sweetly-scented salt air, spotting rainbows, and feeling the power of a mountain in motion and perhaps even seeing an Io or two... and feeling one within. I offer my sincere condolences to the family of the victim and her unborn child.

There is a song about Kalapana called "Holei". The lyrics came from a poem that was tacked below a painting of Kalapana. Ledward Kaapana saw the painting and the poem and expanded on those words. Dennis Pavao added as well. The song speaks of how deafening the ocean's roar can be in that area -- kai leo nui....the great voice of the sea...and of how you can hear it all the way up the pali. The sea has spoken and, in this case, you could hear it all the way up the pali and there was no escape.

When I play this song, I start out simply and softly, but with each verse its gets louder, like the ocean itself. And then it roars. I think I can perform this song again now, without a shadow hanging over it. Here is another version of Holei.

Kalapana belongs to us again and to the beautiful spirit of an idealistic young woman who loved it as we do. Aloha.

Worthy of a bump, at this point. Mahalo, Kelena, well stated.

My aloha to both families, as you heal, and remember your na'au (gut feeling; your soul in our culture) will never lead you astray. God be with you all.

The Royal ohana has handled this with the utmost grace and dignity. The Johnson ohana is now dealing with so much, and deserves respect in their loss and disbelief.

All of the rest of us and our opinions don't really matter. The time for healing for these two families is upon us, and some of you are beyond belief right now. Where is common sense to you people who want to dig into each and every detail, when this is an "ongoing investigation", where the facts the police have will not be public knowledge until all evidence is processed (a few months).

Where is the human decency to allow both families to digest all of this before prying into their deceased children's lives? Some of you are downright disgusting.

To the families, God be with you as you find your individual peace. Please forgive those who cannot find the basics of human decency when a loved one is lost.

Good God people, dig deep and be compassionate, for these families have more to deal with than your inquisitive minds. [Sad!]

JMO.
IF you read the earlier posts by ssshjar (Sarah) and Ruth Johnson they are not ready to move on. The Johnson Family has made it clear they believe Bo is innocent and also a victim, and asked Rob to please keep this forum going and not shut it down.

Hi Kathy[Smile] it's been a while, I read some of your posts on BIC and had been hoping you would respond to this Punaweb topic.
Thank you, your insight in putting the timelines together is very helpful. I don't think you misread or got any details wrong, but you sure have raised so many more questions!
nice work Kathy! the tent situation has not made any sense from the beginning .. his backpack and personal items being left where they were in the manner they were, is a HUGE red flag regarding the police "findings" and final outcome. makes absolutely no sense. if he was booking it out of there freely, on his own there is no way he left his pack and everything behind in that manner. the lack of remorse in the note? come on! why even bother writing the note.. read up on the psychology of suicide notes. where is kalapana Ed? the big link to Bo's supposed conversation that in part justified the warrant. actually every justification for the warrant seems not valid at this point.
Have you people taken leave of your senses? Three women are killed every day in this country by husbands/boyfriends.
There is no mystery. This is not TV. There is no twist.

Feel free to waste your time. This is going nowhere.