Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am being bumped off shifts by a retiree
The retiree has a big house and you have three kids.....bored retiree vs. hungry kids.....
Not enough information supplied to make an intelligent observation.
On the surface, it looks like you're saying you're not getting what you're entitled to?
Puna: Our roosters crow first
No, on the surface and deeper also, it looks like I'm sitting here wondering why I'm not working, when it's supposed to be my "prime earning years", and also- what on earth is going to happen to all of us individually in this boat and to the nation as a whole?
It may be that the retiree didn't feel like sharing their financial situation with a coworker when you asked why they worked, so they used the bored excuse to end the conversation. I know a number of people whose retirements where virtually wiped out several years ago during the economic melt down who had to return to work. None of them would have been comfortable sharing that fact with a relative stranger.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
I wonder if that government subsidized private insurance company payment you call healthcare could have anything to do with why there aren't enough jobs? Our your entitled attitude in general. I'm younger, have student loan payments with no degree and trouble even paying the base obamacare fee and I just work harder, at harder jobs. I plan on getting mine in-spite of you and everyone else's efforts to completely destroy our economy.

You know how you win at nature? Hard work and avoiding violence. You can't win by taking someone else's. If you want to blame the retires, blame them for theirs and yours ****ty politics, because you are your own worst very violent enemy.
unknownjulie, first I would like to say Happy valentines day. I am sorry for your working inconvenience. This happens all the time now, where the retired are still working or wanting to work. It seems to me the folks who have better paying jobs tend to stick around longer than they have too. Retired cops flag traffic, retired fireman are security officers at schools, Athletic directors continue to cut programs and create more cracks for money to fall, teachers continue to teach. ect. I love your working spirit, You seem like a wonderful mother who is always at work within your own home. Maybe these extra shifts your retired friend is getting will be short lived, or you may find a part time job doing something else you may enjoy or learn?. I hope this turns around for you, and you find some positives from this hardship. As for the retired bored person wanting to work an old job again, he may stay bored doing the same ole, same ole. " it can be fun to learn new trades".
in my shop we reward the best employees with a good pay scale and first shot at hours ......

poor workers and those on the cell phone all day - get fewer and fewer until weeded out

for years was responsible for 25k every two weeks in payroll - while personally taking out a grand a month for 80 hr weeks
Gypsy, Happy Valentines Day! Thank you for the kind words, and observations.
Bull winkle you sound like one of those horrible business owners who needs to pay more of their "fair share"! Let's make it 73%, that will help Hawaii get more jobs. You should pay that and all the big businesses in bed with the government should pay nothing and get special laws written to help wipe out their competition. We will call them healthcare providers or utilities. They should not have to compete, they are to big to fail. Competition is bad, better to take from people that have more by force, this will increase the efficiency of our economy so everyone has less. Horray for the brave new world of Hawaii!
Having managed people in the past, I would advise anyone who is having shifts "bumped" to look at 'why does my manager want someone else to work this shift?"

Most likely you are all earning much the same hourly wages, so there is not significant hourly wage difference to choose one worker over the other worker.

Is the other worker able/willing to work many different shifts?

Does the other worker have fewer outside work time commitments?

If you are both fairly equal on wage and time availability, then you will have to look closely at the differences in how staff/clients interact with each of you. Is there any difference?

Even a small difference in how others interact can create different team dynamics. These differences may be noted by your manager.
there is a special place in hell for capitalists I hear - grin

as far as small biz - it gets worse we had a employee with a coke problem that made a mess and got tangled up with the authorities - alligator tears as he was forced to pee in a bottle......

two guesses who wrote the 35k$ check for thirty days at camp snoopy.....

Hawaii or anywhere else small biz takes it in the shorts ....

especially tough out here because of the monopolies on commercial store fronts - priced Maui on front street - a outdoor kiosk goes for 5k a month - thats a lot of trinkets.......