Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broadband and Wireless Access
What ever became of Joy SB's Housebill 131 regarding broadband and wireless services for rural areas?

I see that Oceanic is advertising download speeds of up to 100 mbps! Most other locales could get at least 30mbps.

In Puna, most (non-oceanic accessible) areas receive between 7 and 15 mbps at best. Hawaiian Tel offers 7 mbps, and can be "upgraded" to 11. Aloha broadband offers up to 15. I can't speak about direct tv or other satellite internet services.

If you are a person living by yourself, perhaps these download speeds are ok. But for most others, these speeds are deplorable.

I know that this topic has been batted around before. Sorry. Needed a place to vent. I want to utilize the sling live tv app to my apple tv, but can't do so without severely impacting the download speeds of devices being used by others in my home. Delays are absolutely assured.

Vent vent vent. Ok, I'm done.
I'm venting right along with you.

I have HTs 7mbps service, is the 11 option a new thing? Last I checked we were on the fastest available plan. Since a year ago we had no service at all, our slow DSL is a huge improvement over nothing.

We've made the most out of our meager connection by upgrading to a smart router. The wifi modem that HT provides will allow one device to swamp the 1mbps outbound which will kill all the downloads, even if there is only one of them: http://punaweb.org/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=3.73333333333333&TOPIC_ID=21333&
Actually, Oceanic, aka Charter, is advertising download speeds of up to 300 Mb!
I have aloha broadband in lower hpp and the fastest speed I can purchase now is 4 down for $87.00 a month. Most of the time it's less than 2 down. Cant stream anything without constant buffering including Youtube. Its the new dialup eqivilant. Streaming on my smartphone using att is faster than this.
In Hilo through time Warner we pay 85 a month for
300 mbps..although any speed test I've done always shows half that speed.

I can still stream videos on two computers and have another computer and a tablet online with no lag whatsoever.
(We don't have cable, so YouTube and Netflix is our entertainment.)

..Bad boys,Bad boys what we gonna do...let ya out on bail for a buck or two...
What's the data cap for HT and Oceanic?
I've had both HT and Oceanic and never encountered a data cap on either with constant movie-heavy usage. Oceanic is far, far better, and we never looked back after switching from HT.
If you do a speedtest via wireless, you will never get anywhere near the advertised speed. A wired connection to your router is always faster.

There are no data caps for DSL or cable at this point.
I too have oceanic. Soon to be called something else. I just got the basic 33 dollar rate, and it's pumping out about 160 Mbps down. and 6Mbps Up. Thinking about getting the upgrade, but would have to upgrade my router, and cable modem. since my router only has 100Mbps. Would need to get the gigabit ports.

It's one reason why I would never buy a lot without cable in hood. Look for Hawaiian Beaches, parks, shores, HPP (only half way down) and Leilani estates. I think same places in Volcano at the top have it.

Would be good to probably get a list of all the subdivisions that have cable. I forgot, I heard that fern acres in front of the subdivision now has cable. Smile
Terracore, my .02 is to stick with HT vs. 50/whatever as it is from Oceanic is SLOWER!!! than 7HT DSl. Speedtest ALWAYS show true #s like they should but practical use has DSL better for business and personal at these speed levels. YES, uploads ARE faster with Cable but DSL @ this level is faster and more reliable and I'm in town. Never tried faster.

Hope that helps.

Eric, 33 is no phone yeah ? Where RU ?