Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southern Cross
It's straight up at around 1130p, at 180 south, 5-12 degrees above the horizon. Download Srellarium, it's kala'ole.

Aloha
It's easy to spot during the summer months. One evening as we were leaving the Imiloa Center, appropriate spot, it was easilly visible from the parking lot. Always reminds me more of a kite than a cross.
Holonalu, thanks for the tip regarding Stellarium, I am an OSS proponent yet had not heard of this application.

Regarding "kala'ole," Hawaiians say manuahi. Kala'ole is one haoleficated word. Wink

"Life is labor, and all that is good in life comes from that labor..."
old school celestial navigation practitioners and cruising sailors start to use the southern cross about lat 20....

thats also about the same latitude the fish become "tropical" in color

Crux: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crux

Crux is easily visible from the southern hemisphere at practically any time of year. It is also visible near the horizon from tropical latitudes of the northern hemisphere for a few hours every night during the northern winter and spring. For instance, it is visible from Cancun or any other place at latitude 25° N or less at around 10 pm at the end of April.[1][2] There are 5 main stars.
"
I used to see it clearly from my yard late at night, and fairly low on the horizon in the summertime, but now their are trees and often it is cloudy most of the night.
Last night was cool as I caught the last fleeting glimpse of the eclipse
at around 11:30.
quote:
Originally posted by Delta9r

Holonalu, thanks for the tip regarding Stellarium, I am an OSS proponent yet had not heard of this application.

Regarding "kala'ole," Hawaiians say manuahi. Kala'ole is one haoleficated word. Wink

I'm not Hawaiian, so I 'ficated' it, but thanks so much for the correction.......