Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RJ Hampton files for District 5
Hi RJ
I think you have been very forth-write with your detailed answers to the questions asked of you and would indeed vote for you if I lived in your district, but I don't, however perhaps you might answer this question - who would you endorse for district 4? Hopefully that isn't considered a loaded question because we need more candidates such as yourself and at present I only know who not to vote for.
Rob, I certainly don't want to get in an argument, but just want to say that from a reader's perspective, kjl's comment could have been coming from either knowledge of Len and who gets his support, or knowledge through RJ of backing she accepts. Ditto for whether or not they are buddies.

The wording makes it look more like it comes from Len, but that may have been unintentional. Assuming the best about kjlpahoa's statement.

But kjlpahoa, the reason you might appear to be a spokesperson is you make a statement about financial backing. Perhaps with something in this area it is best to add how you come by this fact, if you are not a spokesman for one of them, then your position in it all won't be misunderstood.

Some people reading here, like myself, don't know all this history and these relationships, or who you are IRL, so the more clarity the better, no?
RJ;
Do you support the efforts of individuals and groups (Graham/hiccup Circus/Belly Acres) that supplement and fund services in your district?
So Kathy, are you speaking for kjlpahoa now?

What is it with people pretending to speak for people they claim to have no personal association with?

I can read.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by snorkle

RJ;
Do you support the efforts of individuals and groups (Graham/hiccup Circus/Belly Acres) that supplement and fund services in your district?

Ever think she will post an answer?

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

So Kathy, are you speaking for kjlpahoa now?

What is it with people pretending to speak for people they claim to have no personal association with?

I can read.

no Rob, I am not speaking for. I was pointing out two ways to read what was said and putting it back to the speaker to clarify.
I know you can read, but you were only going with the one way.
As far as reading goes, that is/was my professional training and background, same as you have your area of expertise, so I'm sorry, when I see people disagreeing over a sentence I might feel the impulse to help sort out the part that is causing the clash.

As to the intentions behind the choice of words, that is for the writer or speaker to clarify.
I'm sorry this is making you so angry. I hear four people in this topic who have said that they have negative feelings towards this person Len, you , RJ, kpahoa, myself. Each person has spoken for himself or herself to make that clear. Yet somehow there is still contention about it.
Speaking of the whole past "anti-vaccination" group - of which RJ and her buddies, and lets not forget, along with what can only be described as one of the most dysfunctional Councils we ever had, check this out:

http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.com/An.../Home.html

And now - there maybe a major breakout of measles in the last 20 years.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/...s.cnn.html

Leadership has consequences.

KathyH - Well said.
I opened up my email and this is what I found. I thought this could be a political exercise for those who want to participate could be fun.

Aloha,

Yes, its another media questionnaire. This one for Big Island Chronicle. Answers will be used for coverage in our special Primary Elections edition and for later articles in the elections season. I hope this one a little more interesting than average. Answer any or all, either briefly or at length; feel free to say why or why not you choose a certain position, or offer an alternative that the question doesn't suggest.
There are two ways to participate. You can write down and e-mail your answers to the questions below. Or you can simply call me for a phone interview at 345-5544. If you can return your answers within the next week, it would be greatly appreciated. We really want to include as many of the candidates as possible. Answers may be edited for space, but we pledge to do our best to report your answers without spin or bias. We just want to get good information to the voters so they can make their own decisions.
Big Island Chronicle, in case you aren't familiar with it, is an independent monthly news publication and daily news Web site founded by Tiffany Edwards Hunt. Our focus is on local news and issues. Our monthly print circulation is about 6,000; Web coverage is higher. Since Ms. Hunt is actually running for office this year (5th District County Council) she has entrusted me to run election coverage in order to avoid any conflict of interest.
Sincerely,
Alan D. McNarie
Contributing Editor

What do you think are the most important issues for your district, and what would you do about them?
What do you think are the most important issues for the Island of Hawaii and what would you do about them?
If not covered above, what are your views on:
Energy
1. Do you believe the island should increase its use of geothermal energy?
2. If so, what can be done at the county level to address community concerns about geothermal safety?
3. Do you believe that Big Island farmland should be used to produce biofuels for local power generation and/or transportation?
4. Do you believe that Big Island farmland should be used to produce biofuels for off-island use?
5. Do you believe an undersea power cable should be built to transport Big Island-generated energy to O`ahu? Why or why not?
6. What can be done to allow the county and its population to use less energy?
Food
1. What can the county do to encourage more local food production for local markets?
2. Do you support the regulation, at the county level, of genetically modified crops? Why or why not?
3. Do you support increased regulation, at the county level, of agricultural pesticides? Why or why not
Housing, employment and homelessness
1. How can the county encourage the building of affordable housing?
2. For decades, economic debates have centered on creating jobs. But what is really needed are livings: means to support oneself and ones family. Livings can include not only jobs, self-employment and even subsistence fishing and farming. What can the county do to promote more livings on this island?
3. Historically, planning for housing and jobs on this island has not been conducted with energy sustainability in mind, as evidenced by the long commute between affordable housing in East Hawaii and jobs at the resort nodes in West Hawaii. What can the county do to put people and livings closer together?
4. How can the county do to get more homeless people into housing without taking their things or putting them in prison?
Crime and prison reform
1. Would you favor the building of a privately-owned prison on the Big Island?
2. What can the county do to reduce domestic violence and promote domestic harmony on the island?
3. Do you favor the legalization of marijuana? Why or why not?
4. What else can the county do to reduce crime and/or lower the number of incarcerated island residents?
Transportation
1. What is the biggest transportation need in your district and what can be done to meet it?
2. How can the county reduce the amount of driving that its citizens must do?

Waste and recycling
1. Do you support Mayor Kenoi's plan to build a waste-to-energy conversion plant in East Hawaii? Why or why not?
2. What can be done to reduce the amount of solid waste created in Hawaii County?
Politics
1. Do you accept campaign contributions from outside your district?
2. Do you support publicly funded elections?
And finally, is there any issue that you feel strongly about but which is not covered above? If so, tell us about it.

So there you go inquiring minds want to know.

RJ - I think the idea is that you answer the questions. I think there are some important ones that have been missed out (e.g., Hwy 130 and an alternative route out of Puna in an emergency), but I think the whole idea is for those running for positions on the council to answer the questions, not the voters.