Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Campaign ethics
quote:
Originally posted by Sativa

Tom K quote:
"How would you know the font is too small if you can't see the BIC?"

TomK, I see your really confused. I don't even know why I have to explain it to you but I will. The printed version of BIC is what I was referring to were the print is too small to read.

The online version of BIC is what I do not have access to. "Gateway timed out. Server not available" is what I get every time I try to go to BIC online. So if someone can help me solve this problem I would be very happy.
Sativa, I don't know if this is the problem, but I gave up looking at BIC regularly some months back because it was my one regular site that would spin and spin and not load. I wasn't patient enough to wait several minutes.

I know that the Tucker blog also has had problems with a slow load, and I think it is WordPress is not designed to handle so many links and ads and all that baggage. It's really a personal blogging host. Anyhow, people who know more about this than I do advised Damon to change the data size of his front page so it would load.

What I'm thinking is that I have a broadband connection, probably the fastest option on this island, and you probably don't. So if the page takes minutes to load with my connection, your connection could easily be timing out. You get errors when the download of a page can't be accomplished in a reasonable amount of time.

I do not know of any way that the owner of a WordPress blog can block an IP from reading it. The blog can be set private and by invitation only, but I don't think it can block selectively. (I have a Word Press blog in progress. I will take a look at my setting options. I don't work with it much.)
I checked. Word Press blogs don't have the option to selectively block a person from reading them, only to make the blog by invitation only, which BIC is obviously not.

You are probably experiencing a technical problem in interfacing with the blog.
quote:
Originally posted by snorkle

kjlpahoa says;
"RJ has been community oriented for many years in her own private way"

I'm going to ask again.....What positive contributions has RJ made to our community?

No No No; I don't care about Tiffany, Tim, or the rest. I'm asking about RJ, and here's your chance to campaign.

Unfortunately RJ does not like to toot her own horn, but she has been very community oriented. Just some of the few things I know about: Organized and ran the Pahoa/Maku'u farmers markets; Operated a sorbet business in Pahoa where she gave away sorbet to the children; Organized and ran the annual Pahoa Parade for a few years; Legislative assistant where she researched many of the local needs and drafted appropriate legislation; re-vitalized the Akebono Theater and hosted a number of performances. Filmed numerous local events and interesting people and places and showed them on Public Access TV; Actively lobby for and against legislation that adversely effects the people of Puna; Taught video for a youth program; tried to set up a community garden at the Maku'u market site; and many more that I am not familiar with. But, her heart is with and for the people of Puna. Even though some things might be controversial, they all were done for what she felt has good and just for the people of Puna.

I ask that RJ please take a moment and add to this list.
quote:
Originally posted by Kapohocat

I agree. And to go on the positive and not negative,,,

I have not seen or heard of Greggor slinging mud.

Lets list the others who are running clean campaigns.

Well, it is NOT Hunt or Hampton.
Hunt roasted Puna residents, other candidates and Puna Web posters on July 18 at her event which included vulgar language, alcohol and making stinging remarks of her opponents, other candidate races, of Puna residents and of Puna Web posters. I don't think the roastees were invited.

Here's the summary of the Puna Pono Alliance forum and the roast.

Interesting night at the Puna Pono Alliance forum and YouTube.
What started out as a standard forum structure with many mahalos and niceties became a heated revelation during the District 5 closing statements.
Candidates were allowed 3 minutes to introduce themselves and their platform. Then each candidate was asked a question specific to them with 90 seconds to respond regarding the numerous issues facing the residents of Puna and the island. Then each candidate had 2 minutes to give their closing statement regarding why people should vote for them.

So here is the back story. On July 18, Ms. Edwards-Hunt and her campaign team held a roast. It appeared on the surface that Ms. Edwards-Hunt was the only roastee. Previous roasts of celebs and political figures are held with the roastee being present to suffer the humiliating statements made about them during the roasting. And the roastee agrees to such an event.

Fact: A roast was held by Ms. Edwards-Hunt and campaign team.
Fact: The roastees were the candidates of District 5 and other candidates in the various campaign races.
Fact: The roastees, candidates of District 5 were not invited, nor were they aware of the event until afterward.

Fact: Based upon an eye-witness who was present in the early part of the roast, said Ms. Edwards-Hunt and the roaster or MC—not too clear exactly of the role, were drinking alcoholic beverages and speaking in foul language. The eye-witness and his guests got up and left because this was not something they wanted to be a part of.
Fact: The roasting comments made about each candidate were “stinging” personal remarks according to some observers.

Fact: Damon Tucker has a recording of the roast. Also there is a YouTube video (audio only) posted by Occupy Hawaii. Here is Part 1. The first 15 minutes are roasting of the candidates with lots of vulgar language by a comedienne. You can hear Ms. Edwards-Hunt say this is going to be X-rated so if you don’t want to hear, there’s the door. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXAxQq1uXNE And folks, there is a Part 2; however, I cannot find the Part 2 in which Damon says that she goes on to insult people she does not know. The Part 2 on YouTube does not reflect that statement, but I did not listen all the way through. However, she does make remarks of posts on Puna Web because they do not agree with her.

What bothers me here, is NOT that someone is have fun and making fun. What really bothers me is that Ms. E-H is making fun of the people of Puna—not just the candidates. She is making fun of the residents, her constituents. If Ms. E-H is going to be believable as a representative of all the people of Puna, then it is not a good look that she would insult her community in this way.

What bothers me also is that her audience (those who stayed) thought all this is humorous also. We have serious issues to deal with here. Ms. Edwards-Hunt could have used her funds and time to bring people together to discuss the issues, to hear what they have to say, to get input from people, rather than have a raucous, vulgar, laugh fest at other people’s expense. Is this how Ms. Edwards-Hunt will use her funding if elected?

Okay, now back to tonight. Ms. Roxanne “RJ” Hampton, in her closing statement, raised the issue to Ms. Edwards-Hunt about the roast and also about the “Voter’s Guide” that Ms. Edwards-Hunt’s newspaper (Big Island Chronicle), as not being Pono. Because Ms. Hampton spoke loudly and passionately, directing her comments and apparent outrage, at Ms. Edwards-Hunt, Ms. Hampton was asked to leave. Leave she did, shouting all the way out.
RJ, I appreciate your courage to bring this up; however, there are other avenues. I get that you believe this is not Pono and that you are outraged at the behavior of Ms. Edwards-Hunt; however, your outburst may have garnered some support in the direction of Ms. Edwards-Hunt because people felt she was the brunt of your outburst. I wonder if anyone in the forum audience thinks that the other candidates were the brunt of Ms. Edwards-Hunts/roaster comments.

Now, it is Ms. Edwards-Hunt’s turn to give her two minutes closing. Yes, she admits it is all true and basically, it was done it fun. And she uses humor and (paraphrasing) too bad if people can’t take a joke.

All I have to say is this, if you want someone like Ms. Edwards-Hunt as your County Council District 5 representative, who will have a roast about you, not tell you or invite you, then say it was all in good fun and a joke, then what will she do in Council?
This is all caught on video which will air soon. Watch for the Puna Pono Alliance forum video posted by Occupy Hawaii.

And late breaking news! Apparently Damon Tucker has a recording of the aforementioned roast and it is posted on youtube. And it sounds nasty! Maybe the joke is on you now, Ms. Edwards-Hunt.
I’ll post the link as soon as I get it.
Notes from Damon Tucker’s FB which he has had to shutdown except to friends:
• Damon Tucker I know for a fact that Frannie Pueo is working to build a shelter for animals neglected or abused... 10:18 of video.
2 hrs • Like
• User: No video, only audio...
2 hrs • Like • 1
• Damon Tucker And her comedian even questions if Daniel K. Paleka Jr. Is from Hawaii at 13:13
2 hrs • Like
• User: I know, I was sitting next to Madie at the comedy/roast...it was a bit over the top at times..
2 hrs • Like • 1
• Damon Tucker Quite insulting and pretty much made me lose what little bit of respect I had for her.

She goes on in Part 2 of the video to insult folks she has no clue who they are and or/where they even live just because she doesn't like what they say about her politics....See More

@pelelani. Please stop posting the same text in multiple threads.
It seems as if the voter registration irregularities and HO exemption info should go here, as more of an ethics concern than eligibility, strictly speaking.

I wish the Trib had asked Tiff a follow-up question after she said she was never cognizant of the rules. For example, wlll she be recycling that phrase as a Council Person, and does she think cognizance of tax rules might be a good thing to learn before running for public office.
quote:
Originally posted by DaVinci

@pelelani. Please stop posting the same text in multiple threads.

Thanks, I got the feedback from Carol and my apologies.