Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about USPS mail
Apparently, two different people have used our mail box before us and even after three years, we’re still getting mail for these people that have moved. So we try and do the right thing by writing “Not at this address.” Or “moved”. Problem is the post office keeps redelivering them to us even with what we had written clearly visible. Some of these are insurance renewal notices, bills, letters and a few junk type mails. I’m thinking after all this time, should I just trash this stuff?
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Try crossing out your address, (the delivery address) so it can't be read. Then write "Return To Sender."
If an insurance company wants to reach them they'll track them down, or at least take that name off the mailing list.

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
crossing out your address

More important to cross out the barcode, because otherwise no human will see the mailpiece.
what about the window envelopes?
Puna: Our roosters crow first
8F- Just cross right over the address window w/a pen. I was told by USPS employee some time back that it's the crossing out of the address that does the job, not the instructions by the current occupant.
If the mail wasn't sent first class (or better), throw it away. That's what the USPS does. If the mail piece has a "bulk rate" or equivalent marking where the postage normally is (aka junk mail), the sender consented (expects) the mail getting trashed if the first delivery attempt fails. The reduced postage rates don't include any "return to sender", address correction, or additional services.

At least, that was the case when I worked there.
Just put UTF on it and put it back in box.
Your mailbox should be internally noted that the two individuals in question no longer receive mail at your box number. Theoretically when the mail is sorted, items for those two should be returned to sender or tossed. If you continually receive the others mail - either the box isn't noted or those boxing mail aren't paying attention. I would take the offending mail to the retail counter and express your frustration to the clerk on duty. Ask them to check to see if your box is properly noted, if it isn't - ask them to do so. After that, the next time you receive mail for the 2 previous tenants either return to the PO - or call - and ask for the Post Master. Complaints to the Post Master are usually resolved to the customer's satisfaction.

Mike in HPP