Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would it wise for PGV at this time to prepare?
I woke last night at a little after 3 am (a usual occurrence)to a faint but detectable hydrogen - sulfide smell. At this point I had a thought about how totally bad it would be if something happened to PGV as a result of the incoming storm , and wondered what special considerations PGV is taking if any in regards to these approaching storms.
PGV lies on a gradual plane tending upwards from the ocean next to Vacation land, and as a result , the coming storms would have a very easy time coming inland at that little distance (maybe 2 miles + or -)
The havoc that could evolve to an unprepared PGV (NOT SAYING IT IS),
might be considerable ( think above ground well-head plumbing and structures , and possible security equipment fail safes devices) if they had an uncontrolled release of hydrogen - sulfide. Imagine 70+ mph winds with gusts even higher in a blinding rainstorm , with men frantically running around in virtual spacesuits in a haze of toxic gases at night - of course this is seemingly a worst case scenario.
In my opinion, since these storms and the time of their arrival, has been broadcast continually for many days already, their would be no valid excuse to be unprepared, and PGV saying something like, "we never even considered this to be a possibility" would be particularly unacceptable.
Couldn't have wrote my storm/geothermal concerns any better. Must warrant some concern since the current plant or area has not been hit directly by this kind of storm in some time. Does geothermal have any above ground waste holding ponds?. When the worst case scenios start to unfold where does one go here in PUNA?.
When the worst case scenios start to unfold where does one go here in PUNA?.

opihikao referenced these Big Island Shelters on another thread:

Hawaii County designated shelters:

Laupahoehoe

Kohala High & Elementary

Kealakehe High (pet friendly)

Konawaena High (pet friendly)

Hilo High (pet friendly)

Waiakea High (pet friendly)

Keaau High (pet friendly)

Pahoa High & Intermediate (pet friendly)

Honokaa High & Intermediate (pet friendly)

Kau High (pet friendly)

Waikoloa Elementary

On Thursday, Aug. 7, all public schools in Hawaii and Maui Counties (Maui, Molokai, Lanai) will be closed.

The schools in Hawaii and Maui Counties that are designated emergency shelters will remain closed on Friday.

http://punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19107

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
This is incredible !!

The PGV plant is a lot more robust than your house.A hurricane is going to blow your house away and you are worried about PGV.
quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy

Couldn't have wrote my storm/geothermal concerns any better. Must warrant some concern since the current plant or area has not been hit directly by this kind of storm in some time. Does geothermal have any above ground waste holding ponds?. When the worst case scenios start to unfold where does one go here in PUNA?.

Hopefully they have a plan in place , but just in case I am going to check with the Fire Dept - will continue with this thread when I do.
Be well Gypsy
They are a little over 3 miles from the coast. Maybe 3.3?

I have no doubt that they have already been preparing, and will be prepared, for this storm.
I am more worried about neighbor's that may have loosely attached metal roofing and other debris in their yards, that might be flying through the air.
Be thankful the house of cards is gone.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
I'd be more worried about all those high power transmission lines along Hwy 130. The ones that HDOT didn't want to bother to put underground.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Having worked for corporations, they usually have a whole disaster preparedness & recovery team put together that kicked into action probably days ago.

Rob, they may see the storm as a win for them. If it wipes out some of their old infrastructure they will get insurance and Fed help in rebuilding. They get to replace old stuff without eating all of the expense. I was told as much in reference to Florida Power and Light by moderately high ranking employees and that they were waiting for a big storm in some cases before upgrading.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.