Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would it wise for PGV at this time to prepare?
So I spent about some time trying to talk with a live person at pgv , after having to deal with recorded messages for that amount of time I did manage to leave a message with administration & possibly the control room, but apparently no one was available to talk with me live. As well, I did talk to one live person at a reference # which I believe was Oromat headquarters - I tried to explain that I was seeking an answer to the question" does pgv have any emergency procedure established for this event - not necessarly an evacution scenario as that seemed unlikely in an all out hurricane.which as of this writing @ 2:50 HST seems unlikely as the eye has disapated at this time.
Perhaps you might have better luck. The tel numbers are:
PGV BEST # 965 6233
PGV 2ND BEST 9658843 given by FD who didn't have a tel# on hand and had to go online to give me this # which didn't work for me other than refer me to the Oromat # below.
Oromat 866 517 1610
So looks like their was cause to be concerned for anyone within 10 miles, except all that blowing definitly thinned out the poison gases - for those of you who don't live near PGV -NO WORRIES - , but when you are 5 mi away, you always have cause for concern
As I am sitting here writing these reports, I just learned that ON Thursday night during the storm as many were listening to the radio about island reports, Sherry Bracken and several other broadcast personalities, reported that "PGV" , was having an un-controlled release of TOXIC GASES. In the process of writing this missive, a woman who lives in Lani Puna Gardens (extremely close) was fearing for her life as the sound of the of the uncontrolled venting was louder than the Hurricane.She also reported no sounds of thunder. Fearing for their families they first called 911 and were chastised by the operator for using 911 for what she said was a non emergency. Then , since they knew the PGV plant manager Mike Kalakini, they called his # , and apparently he sounded like he was being woken up - not clear if that was the case, none the less PGV grossly under reported the toxic release as this couple and her familiy were afflicted with nausea, and
sickness.
This PGV true story is ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE. we must hold their feet to the fire and do whatever we must to get accountability from our elected and non- elected officals , and enlighten Hawaiin Tel as to their negligence in the 911 awareness of the situation
As well we need to establish the truth of the report that PGV "must have an uncontrolled release of Toxic gases every time their are electrical grid issues (dropped or downed poles or wires).
It wasn't an emergency.It was a controlled shutdown because the storm tore down the transmission lines.
They followed their procedures and notified civil defense.
You took it from there!!
Their abatement systems worked and the total release wasn't even above the alert level.
The rumor mill keeps churning
And strangely none of the workers at PGV were rushed to the hospital? Anxiety can cause nausea. Never heard of stress to the point if vomiting? I'm not concerned at all based on this anecdote which seems to have a rational explanation.
Obie This is incredible !!

The PGV plant is a lot more robust than your house.A hurricane is going to blow your house away and you are worried about PGV.

Apparently not true!
PGV is still there and is undamaged.

The power lines from PGV to Helco were torn down by falling albizia trees.
quote:
Originally posted by Obie

PGV is still there and is undamaged.

The power lines from PGV to Helco were torn down by falling albizia trees.

My house is still there and undamaged, while the only thing (ironically), that saved a 5 mile radius of people from the effects of toxic gases was a hurricane
There were no toxic gasses Bob.It worked as designed.Get over it !!