Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What have we learned from this storm. (Iselle)
that BK in Pahoa NOW HAS FREE INTERNET !!!! Smile

-------------------------
To email me click on Link http://is.gd/QMfVEX
Fortunately I have water because in on county. As such, I've learned that a cold bath is much more tolerable than a cold shower.
Oink,

"I ***HATE*** hurricanes and have had enough of them. Personally I think one per lifetime is sufficient as I'm sure most of you will currently agree."

Whether this was a hurricane or a strong tropical storm (there's only a 1-mph difference between the two), I couldn't agree more. In a strange way I'm glad I have experienced this, because now I really understand what people have to go through with these storms, but now I hope never to have to experience another.

I guess one good thing now is that I and many others will be a little more prepared for the next one, at least I hope that happens. Personally, I had supplies to last several days alone, but have had a reality check on what it's like to be without power, running water or communications. And some are still in that situation. Maybe this will turn out to be a blessing in disguise.
I learned that a warm fridge, when connected to a generator and turned on, may start to develop frost on the coils and, if not on long enough to go through defrost cycles, may continue to freeze up to the point where the fridge no longer gets cold and then you have to empty the fridge and freezer completely into coolers filled with ice brought to your neighborhood by good Samaritans until you can completely thaw the thing by opening the doors!
I learned that I'm glad I didn't waste my money on a generator. This would've been the first time I might have used it and I survived just fine without it.
Nothing.

After the power is back on, it will be back to obsessions with chemtrails, GMO labels, whatever the next phobia fad is. Somebody should do a psychological study of Puna, where phobias are contagious and untreatable.

"We come in peace!" - First thing said by missionaries and extraterrestrials
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
I'm one that is glad that I've had a little 2k Honda generator. I'll have had it running for week as of 7:00 tonight. It has kept me in touch with the outside world both TV and internet for the whole time. The best part, I didn't have to stand in lines to get any ice to keep my food cold. This little wonder will run the fridge and the small freezer while doing the fore mentioned chores. It will sip a gallon of gas a day which is just about a dollar more than my daily electric cost. Only down side, it isn't big enough to run the catchment pump. No biggy there either, just added a spigot to the pipe coming out of the tank and fill my bucket there. Yes, VERY glad I had a generator!

I learned that as Iselle stormed over the island, we nearly lost 10% of the population of Puna to falling trees. Myself included. The albezias that practically crushed us were all "10 or 15 or 20 feet in diameter" and landed just a few feet away from where we were sleeping.

Whether or not the size of the falling trees was exact, or whether or not the storyteller paused to take an accurate measurement from the tree to their home or bed, the stories are all true. The important fact is, had those trees landed any closer, the outcome would have been the same no matter how big or how far.

We should all consider a trip to Las Vegas soon, if that happens to be your thing. Because honestly, we are the luckiest people on earth this week.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Well we learned again what great neighbors we have in this wonderful subdivision of Leilani. Family and friends are great to see during such trying times and can really help find or share a little humor even through the worst of times. We learned a full moon is very nice to have when the power goes out for a week. We learned where our safe room was in the house, and not to leave the propane on during the storm.

We are amazed no one was hurt or killed during the storm and feel very blessed not to have had a tree fall on our house. No matter how much we are prepared, the worst dangers of the storm were from geothermal and the county raised albezia trees. We have learned to have no faith in the department's of Hawaiian homes land, dlnr, Epa, or businesses like helco or geothermal. Maybe we don't have enough county workers getting paid enough pensions to handle the Albezia?. In my view the only problems or inconvienances iselle left behind were county and helco caused?.

We learned our votes here in Puna really don't matter or count in the big picture politics. We could not get out to vote and had no news to the transpiring events caused from the storm. Maybe Hanabusa did not need our votes anyway?. We learned that the schools could care less if your child falls behind due to missed classes from the storm? We have learned that the schools here are more like large baby sitting sessions so the parents can have a break and go to one of their 3 jobs to make sure they can pay Helco?.

We also learned that having plenty of coolers can be very useful at times, we learned that having access to a place to do laundry was vital. We learned not to go wait in long lines to get ice at noon at places like fire stations?. We learned the helicopters and military vehicles with national gaurdsman were there to help, not steal from the community for a change?. Many more things we are about to learn in the coming weeks and months especially if we have more bad weather on its way.
Just a reminder for those using generators. The oil change schedule on most is fairly frequent. Many or most don't have oil filters. Most should have been changed several times since the storm if they have been running most of the time.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.