Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power,internet, and bringing a job with you
I work from home for a company on the mainland. I am a database administrator and I remote desktop into various servers and download and upload very large files every day. I use Time Warner and they have been great other than the 9 days we were down with the storm. I have upgraded bandwidth and have not had any problems with my speed slowing down. I can download a gig in just a few minutes..upload is a little slower but manageable.

During the outage I had to bite the bullet and rent office space in Hilo in order to work. Cost me 150 dollars to work there for a few days (had to pay for a whole month) but it saved my sanity.

The first six months I lived here (in HPP) I had Hawaiian Telcom because they didn't have cable where I lived. It was pure and utter hell. It was like being on dial up. Some people on my street had GREAT speed, some of us didn't. They were never able to resolve that issue. Actually, they never even pretended to CARE about solving that issue.

If I were you, I would still with Time Warner. You will save yourself a lot of headache.

Good luck!
Very good info Guy. Your situation and mine are very close to the same. Would you mind sharing the name of that office rental location?
If they would let us pay a small fee just to test from their location we would both bring our laptops with us in October
I need Time Warner in Orchid Land.
Thanks
Aloha Susan,
For a timeline regarding Orchidland- I called about getting Oceanic Time Warner in there, a couple years ago. I think right down by the main road they may have it, but otherwise it will be years and years. Basically, what I was told was that only 'half" of HPP was on cable- and that it had taken 10 yrs to wire that 'half". So, based on that, I figured "another 10 yrs for HPP and then they "might" get to ORchidland". It is possible they are wiring some main roads in Orchidland simultaneously, but it didn't sound that way when I called them. GL!
quote:
Originally posted by HI_Someday

Leilanidude - I believe you live in Leilani Estates, yes (maybe obvious from your name but don't want to assume)? I thought they have cable and cable internet available there. Yes, no, sort of?

Only about 2/3 of the subdivision has cable. The rest has DSL, but all the ports are full and they have no plans to add additional capacity. I even tried for a while to get a second DSL line to the house - I was going to use a load balancing router to gain some extra bandwidth.
Susan, there is one other possibility, but you will have to call them. If you do, would love to hear the response:

https://www.hibroad.com/

You can also try contacting Aloha and see if they ever plan on adding Orchidland. I sent them an email once to see if there was anything I could do to speed it up (host a tower?) but all I got was a canned response demonstrating that they didn't really read the email, and I lost interest and never called them. http://alohabroadband.com/
I found a way to send a message to the owner of Aloha Broadband. Will let you know if s/he replies.
Dave left a message with Aloha Broadband on Saturday. He's hoping for a cal back too. Thanks for the assist Terracore.
I am bouncing this back up to the top as keeping the mainland job and working from there is going to get real next year. I am interested in how it's going for the tech workers since this post a year ago. The first concession granted is a 6 week trial. If it works he can move and bring his job.
In all likelihood, not much has changed for DSL or cable, but wireless 4G options are probably better.
I worked for a time from a friend's place in Seaview. DSL is ok for email, or even a Skype voice call, but anything involving video is hit or miss. Oh, and almost no cell service, though I hear that Verizon is trying to get more towers into Puna.