Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone been keeping track of the lava flow?
I just looked and the new flow seems to be advancing really fast, and I think it may be even further now than K2. Is that right? Why is it doing this? Is it headed to Pahoa, or will it turn and go down to the ocean through Royal Gardens? (Does anyone know the topography?)
It's concerning because it went further than K2 did in over a year in only 6 weeks, and is now further east than the summer 2007 flow that people were having meetings about. It's location seems to be on the north side of the rift zone so unless it can magically flow uphill, it has no way to get to the ocean in the Kalapana direction.
But it can still run out of gas from the source ... things can shift there again.
Thanks for the update.
There is a fun trifle in that little gift shop in Pahoa that I really wanted. I think I will go by there and get it sooner, rather than later.

In the meantime, I would like to start the prayer circle (please feel free to add your own).....

Dear Universe which immediately stops whatever it is doing and gives me whatever I want in the way that I want it as soon as I make my wishes known unless my wish is directly contrary to the wish of another in which case a star goes supernova: Please make the lava flow uphill and then harmlessly back down to the ocean. Thank you!
From the HVO update:

"The June 27th flow continued to advance into forest east-northeast of Pu#699;u #699;#332;#699;#333;. The tube-fed flow slowed and widened over the past several days, and its distal tip was 9.0 km from the vent (straight-line distance) on August 15. The flow also hosted a broad area of breakouts mid-way along its length that reached the forest about 5 km northeast of the vent, on the north side of the current flow."

The mentioned breakouts may be the saving grace. If they continue to divert flow feeding the advancement of the distal tip, the easterly flow may cease. Or not...
Now it's gone 9.4 km, with breakouts. It would seem the breakouts thus far are not affecting the rate of flow. So, that's .4km in just a few days. I am waiting to look at a new map to see how big the breakouts are...
quote:
Dear Universe which immediately stops whatever it is doing and gives me whatever I want in the way that I want it as soon as I make my wishes known unless my wish is directly contrary to the wish of another in which case a star goes supernova: Please make the lava flow uphill and then harmlessly back down to the ocean. Thank you!

Love it Kelena!! Just to paraphrase: I want it ALL! and I want it NOW!![Big Grin] Hmmm sounds like a song in there somewhere.... [Wink]

It is advancing quicker than the last flow because it is being channeled along the side of a past flow, according to the website.
It isn't very wide, so it appears to have less actual volume than the older flow did. .4km is only about 435 yards, a quarter mile.
From the looks of the maps and photo's,she is on the same flows from the 1960 eruption which is where steam vents are and on north side of Black Sands subdivision where the green water tank is.
Less vegetation to block her down hill progress .
Smaller channelized flow it appears on the maps and photo's and live cams.
Life is a Blessing
I wonder what the digital elevation models show. I guess only the crew at HVO would know.

For talk about elevation models and the "lava shed", skip to 43 minutes into this video: http://www.nps.gov/havo/photosmultimedia...r_dark.htm

Arthur Wierzchos
-VolcanoDiscovery Hawai'i
-Certified Permaculture Designer
“What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson