Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hour and a half from Hilo to HPP
maybe the state should wait to see what the lava flow does

To be perfectly safe, we should simply avoid doing anything, ever. Just in case.
quote:
Originally posted by Seeb

The part that really irks me is that this isn't going to fix the problem. This phase of the project stop before shower drive so it just moves the bottle neck down the road.

The reason the bottleneck is so bad is that you have the light/vehicles where traffic comes from Kea'au AND the two lanes coming from 11, so currently it's really 3 lanes merging into one. Pushing the merge down the road should streamline it because it creates enough distance that it will be 2 lanes merging into 1 instead of 3 (the right lane of 11 doesn't shut down where Kilauea merges into it, and most drivers in the right lane don't move to the left to avoid the merge, people CAN learn how to merge, given enough time... however they will never learn how to decipher the "Slower Traffic Keep Right" enigma).

You are right it's not a fix, but if it's a temporary improvement until they can move onto the next stages, I'll take it.

I don't see how the time spent in traffic on the highway will be reduced after the extra lane to Shower is completed. Almost no cars exit the highway between Kea'au and Shower, so the same amount of cars will merge into a single lane, either at Kea'au or Shower. It may feel less congested though, as there will be two smaller merges instead of one big one.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
That was an awesome hole; All lit up with industrial work fixtures and flashing blue police lights. I stopped for a minute to admire it and all the vehicles around me tooted with joy.

The policemen and workers waved and shouted encouragement. A good time was had by all. Definitely one of the better commutes I've had.
Snorkle is in the running for PW comedian of the year.
It's a puka nui! I think it needs a name.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Where is that alternate route again?
It made me feel like I was back in Miami, and not in a good way at all.
quote:
Originally posted by Seeb

The part that really irks me is that this isn't going to fix the problem. This phase of the project stop before shower drive so it just moves the bottle neck down the road.

So true! We will now have the bottleneck at Shower with people turning left across traffic. So it won't be just as bad as always; it will now be much worse. Apparently DOT says 'cannot fix that' which translates to 'we don't care at all.'
quote:
Originally posted by lavalava

Snorkle is in the running for PW comedian of the year.

Snorkle gets my vote.