Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone been keeping track of the lava flow?
They are following the progress of the flow in the crack from the steam it sends up, that was how they determined how far it traveled since yesterday. The usual methods of over flights and infrared photography won't work, but the steam signature is pretty distinctive.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
" The farthest point of steaming on the crack yesterday morning was 11.0 km from the vent on Pu'u 'O'o; this farthest steaming was 3.5 km from the eastern boundary of the Wao Kele o Puna Forest Reserve. A helicopter pilot report from this morning confirmed that the steaming crack has not changed significantly from yesterday. "
Yes, I know. So, the lava is still flowing into the crack, but the edge has not advanced. So, the lava is either pooling in there somewhere, or went deeper, or something else. I guess we'll find out tomorrow when another report comes out.
My guess is that the crack is a very, very deep one. They can be more than a half mile deep afterall. I wonder what quantity of lava is pouring in there also. A deep crack with low supply perhaps?

“What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
“What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
The news at 5 on HNN had an update and some good close up aerial, will likely repeat at 10 or may be on the website or the HNN Facebook.

The one pic of the crack shows hot lava that looks to be right below the surface, so that part of the crack can't be terribly deep, right? But that's just one spot.
Yes, that video is off of the HVO website and was there a couple days ago. I guess tomorrow morning we'll know more. The lava does appear to be right underneath the surface.
WEll, it sounds from the report this morning that they really cannot see what's going on, and have to rely upon flights. Another one is scheduled for today. They've been having the helicopters go up every day now. There aren't any new measurements- as of now.
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireSto...s-25117086
seems to have started flowing out of the crack now.
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/maps/uploads/image-97.jpg
anyone that can read topographical maps can see the general direction it will take.
Did anyone go to the meeting tonight about all of this?