Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HVO website says the flow was inactive today!
Got a call from a close friend today who seemed a bit flustered and confused about this june27th flow?.He told me he does not see any indication that the lava stalled, perhaps it is free falling hundreds if not thousands of feet?. Very near the old geothermal site or pad (200 yards), cracks are opening up as I write. Hot steam is coming from these new cracks, while tree's and rocks the size of small cars are falling into these cracks. These cracks are about a half mile from where the front supposedly has stalled?. Very dangerous and bad feelings sitting next to these cracks so he did not stay long, yet stayed long enough to feel a couple small quakes that felt like they were happening a mile below his okole.

Yesterday I did not see the plume of the flow, appeared to stall. Yet today these new cracks, dying and falling trees with plenty of steam and heat rising makes me wonder?. The choppers were monitoring and did seem to notice these cracks today, not sure what they can really see in that thick vegetation though. A volcanologist really should take a look cause its unreal to feel or hear the rumbling from below.
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Got a call from a close friend today who seemed a bit flustered and confused about this june27th flow?.He told me he does not see any indication that the lava stalled, perhaps it is free falling hundreds if not thousands of feet?. Very near the old geothermal site or pad (200 yards), cracks are opening up as I write. Hot steam is coming from these new cracks, while tree's and rocks the size of small cars are falling into these cracks. These cracks are about a half mile from where the front supposedly has stalled?. Very dangerous and bad feelings sitting next to these cracks so he did not stay long, yet stayed long enough to feel a couple small quakes that felt like they were happening a mile below his okole.

Yesterday I did not see the plume of the flow, appeared to stall. Yet today these new cracks, dying and falling trees with plenty of steam and heat rising makes me wonder?. The choppers were monitoring and did seem to notice these cracks today, not sure what they can really see in that thick vegetation though. A volcanologist really should take a look cause its unreal to feel or hear the rumbling from below.

I don't know what you and your buddy smoke, but I want some.
Thanks for sharing your information Gypsy. What a trip. Hopefully at the meeting tonight there will be more info available and someone will share on this board what is found out.
As posted elsewhere, looks like the flow towards Pahoa is not dead and the latest crack it entered is steaming again.
Well, this does suck. I guess somehow possibly this lava was somehow missed yesterday. According to the measurements on the maps from yesterday to today- the lava advanced .3 of a mile.... That is 1584 feet. Wow... Hopefully, someone will update us from the meeting tonight and I hope I have figured this wrong...
One oversight many people seem to make is that wherever you stand on this island, coastline to tops of Mauna Loa, Mauna Kea, Kilauea, etc you are standing on lava that came up out of the earth and out of an active volcano.

Not all of our volcanoes are currently considered active but the take home message is that you are currently on top of what was once molten lava (if you live here) and that nowhere on an active volcano- especially Kilauea (which is Earth's most productive volcano) is safe from lava inundation in the future.
quote:
Originally posted by Mimosa

Tutu Pele is internalizing - not inactive,just contemplating her next move.What is under her skin is still hot and bothered.
Taking a breather ............

Mimosa, mahalo for the eloquence, and being concise. I concur.

We are not to be complacent by any means. So begins another cleansing.

"Inactive"? Au contraire. "Inactive" is inaccurate.

JMO.

ETA: As of this hour, she is moving again.

http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava2.htm

(Live cam at link)

Also, from: Bobby Jean Leithead Todd (46 minutes ago)

https://www.facebook.com/bobbyjean.leitheadtodd

Lava Flow Update.

As we continue monitoring the flow, if it looks likely that it will impact residential areas, Civil Defense will assess where to set up a field Command Post in Puna to provide greater access to updates. This will be determined by the direction of the flow and the best place to set up the Command Post or Posts.

Lava flows are not predictable. We do not know at this time whether the flow will continue, stop, intensify or change direction. Therefore we are keeping in touch with HVNP, state civil defense and other agencies to continually monitor the flow. We will update on a daily basis as we gather more information.

Not a bad time to make sure you have batteries for your radios and make an evacuation plan, just in case. Maybe we'll be lucky and nothing will happen, but we should prepare just in case

FWIW.
Hawaii News Now - Update: (More at link)

Puna's not in the clear yet. Just when experts thought the lava flowing toward homes had stopped, it resurfaced.

Get the latest information tonight on Hawaii News Now at 10 on KGMB/KHNL.

Read more: http://shout.lt/CT4Q
They were relieved this morning to see the pad had solidified into a pad. There is still the flow lobe north of the June 27 flow but it isn't a threat to any residences. As of this evening, it has been observed that steam is coming out of the next crack beyond the pad (further east and even closer to the first residences). They think there is the possibility the first crack is continuing into the second crack underground. Now, to see where this emerges. Seems like somebody was once saying those fissures (cracks) were really old and of no significance to the flow. M'kay.

"We come in peace!" - First thing said by missionaries and extraterrestrials
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
This is where the Puna comedy theater begins. The various reports are falling out of synch. Just when some people need to know daily, the CD message is locked on early yesterday. This is the sequence:

a. Early yesterday, there was a helicopter flyover, the pad was seen to be solidified and both fronts appeared to have slowed or stalled. Imminent threat alert canceled.
b. Another flyover later in the afternoon showed the flow from what was thought to be a solidified pad had moved into another crack and venting steam indicated it had traveled over 1,000 feet in a day.
c. Photos put up on HVO site but report remains un-updated for two days, now updated with no mention of crack flow advancement
d. CD message same as yesterday morning.

Status right now, underground crack flow is going eastward, now passing the old geothermal site.
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/multimedia/upload...le-740.jpg

Crack flow, there has to be a joke in there somewhere.

"We come in peace!" - First thing said by missionaries and extraterrestrials
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*