Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Infrastructure improvements
I may be mistaken about railroad avenues full length of public right away but the beach roads right of way I looked into several years ago. Regardless of its present condition or undermining, the right of way still exists. With the common rules of eminent domain suspended by the governors proclamation and the remainder contained therein, there are no obstacles to great for the county to overcome now.
As per the notion of Waa Waa residence losing property, that's not true, the easement already exist at 40' wide as planned when the subdivision was created. Even where the easement runs through HPP the roads directions change reflect the presence of the beach road easement. That's why the blocks in that area are skewed. Same applies to the shores/beaches though there was no alteration in subdivision roadway uniformity needed to accommodate the right of way. I've driven from the shores to hpp on the beach road a few times a couple years ago via 4wd, its present condition is irrelevant. As per heading through shipmans, I've never been on that route as rocks were blocking the road.
Something else to keep in mind about this. This situation creates many possible back scratching ventures to go forward. Ie... only as an example, I'm not saying this will or has happened. With the proclamation in place its really easy to provide a paved roadway for that subdivision created just south of the shipmans house on the coast. There are several lots that were created along that stretch that have no road service... yet. Read through all the laws that were suspended by the governors proclamation. There's no stopping anything with regard to those two roads being punched all the way through to Hilo should the County elect to do so, not terrain, not money, nor object by legal challenges. The only thing that will restrain it are the choices the County makes from this point forward. ALL is appropriate now.
"I've always tried to turn every disaster into an opportunity." - J. D. Rockefeller
Place your quote here _______.
I just looked up Beach road and Railroad going through HPP on the County Real Property tax website and found this; Beach road is owned by the Paradise Hui Hanalike and Railroad is owned partially by HPP Corp. and the rest of it by various owners. All private roads.
The easements are still notated on the county plat maps, and are on record at the county planning office. Additionally, the consolidated railroad rights of way were turned over to the Territorial Government at the time that the railroads ceased operation. In fact. Many of those rights of way were reused to create some of the roads that now exist.

Additionally, the beach road is built on the old puna trail; a Na Ala Hele trail right of way.
YES I AGREE, FORGET THE TOLL. TAKE THE MONEY ALREADY SET ASIDE FOR THE NO LONGER APPROPRIATE ROUND ABOUT AND DIVERT IT TO FIX UP BEACH ROAD.
Should not all construction activity on the new park be stopped?
the easement already exist at 40' wide as planned when the subdivision was created

Under current rules, 40' is inadequate for most types of "County Road".

beach road is built on the old puna trail; a Na Ala Hele trail right of way

If this can be authenticated, and recognized by DLNR, the right-of-way would revert to its original status, and as a "trail", no vehicular traffic would be permitted.
A friend with some old maps showed me that Rail Road Avenue goes all the way to the upper side of WaaWaa. Pretty much ending by, Pakaka road. So coming from four corners, turning left onto Pakaka rd, would take you straight onto RR ave. All the way into town.
I believe this route to be the best, since, the coastal road is prone to tsunamis and rough ocean seas, particularly during winter months. I have seen the Honolulu Landing area blocked sometimes during winter months due to debris, rocks and water, cause of the rough winter waves. And winter is almost here..

punalvr
punalvr
Several years ago OGR from HPP north was designated as part of the Na Ala Hele trail system. In any case, if lava were to cut off 130 near Pahoa the issue is getting from one side of the cutoff to the other from which point 130 continues as the major route unobstructed to Keaau, Volcano, Hilo, etc.