Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Infrastructure improvements
Wax is right. 130 is the route. The issue will be how much of it might be compromised. Makes me wonder if the Army has stashed some portable bridgework over at Schofield Barracks.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Punalvr,
Pakaka rd is only 1 mile long from the beach road and there is no old abandon road past the current end of it, in fact there are very big cracks dead ahead in the jungle. The end of Pakaka stops like 2 miles or more away from the remnant railroad avenue. The map you're looking at is severely flawed. There was a very old Hawaiian foot trail like over a 100 years ago that did something similar to what you've described and I've seen it on a late 1800's survey map that was well over 130 years old.
Well kane, as you said eminent domain. I still believe that is the best route since it is on the maps. Crack it open, the best route. JMHO The map is not severely flawed, it is in there. Why worry? It won't affect you.

punalvr
punalvr
Unfortunately for your opinion punalvr the governors proclamation is only valid for the 2 roads indicated within the proclamation but you would have known that had you taken the time to actually read it. It is not applicable beyond that scope. Nice try though.

Eta... why are you talking about a tsunami evacuation route when there is a lava flow that is the threat? Two very different things and two very different scenarios that would not benefit anyone in south Puna if your planning tsunami evacuation for a south Puna threatened cut off of 130 by lava. Have you by chance been smoking that old map? Just curious.
Isn't Railroad one of those? What did I miss? Railroad is one of those, or did I read wrong?

punalvr
punalvr
Yes, railroad avenue is one and the other is old government beach road but Pakaka is not on the list nor would it serve any purpose. Folks can already access railroad avenue right now today from highway 132. 132 is not threatened, it's 130 that is in the cross hairs at this time.
Railroad Avenue, which hits upper WaaWaa, and down thru Pakaka, as a viable route. I think that's the perfect route. Why worry? You live on Pakaka? NIMBY Kane?

punalvr
punalvr
If the county wants to come in and pave Pakaka and extend it to railroad and run railroad to wherever... have at it, it would be a quicker route to Pahoa for us. Smile I still don't see how it helps anyone in south Puna should a tsunami hit let alone lava crossing 130. It would be great for a handful of beach road dwellers on the beach road here in Waa Waa for tsunami evacuation but those are the only folks... about 20 people.
Punalvr, nice try but a paved pakaka to railroad is a neat idea to me, I just fail to see how it helps those in south Puna. I would like to see Pakaka paved. It would cut down on the dust.
Sounds to me like you're trolling up the wrong creek. Lol.
No Kane, I do not smoke the maps. LOL.. These are ancient maps showing RR ALL THE WAY TO WAA WAA. Down Pakaka, is this a NIMBY kind of situation? Are you there? Thought so..

punalvr
punalvr