Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trash dumping
[Big Grin]
Welcome to Litter-Bug.org
Are you tired of people littering and dumping in your city or neighborhood?
Here at Litter-Bug.org, YOU can post your witness account, description, evidence of Littering and Dumping!
Neighbors, communities, and law enforcement can use Litter-Bug.org data to help prevent and deter future littering and possibly catch perpetrators of illegal dumping activity. http://www.litter-bug.org/report_litteri...NCE=Hawaii
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

It was my suggestion that the problem be viewed from the point of view of a self organizing problem. The county wants to herd all the trash collection to points it prefers... the transfer stations. Obviously, in my POV, the citizenry has it's own ideas and has established dumping locations on it's own. You can accept that fact or reject that fact. The county chooses to reject. My proposal was to place some outlying trash containers in proven "eddies" in the district and see if the problem can be self solving... it would however require the CoH to follow rather than lead.

Interesting concept, and, at the least, addresses the critical matters of where and what is to be done with discards.
The key player is the State Department of Health.
To collect anything considered "garbage", "trash", so forth, anywhere requires a DOH permit for each specific type of material at each specific TMK.

The problem here is that the trash being dumped was construction debris and so is not permitted to be dumped at any of the transfer stations, only at the dump in Hilo. The spoiled brat didn't want to spend up to two hours driving and pay to dump a toilet and some boards. I wouldn't do it personally but I understand the choice he faced.
First he chose to move the toilet and boards out of his yard, because it was garbage and he didn't want to look at garbage in his yard.
Then he chose to load it all into his pickup truck.
Then he chose to drive around for awhile until he found a place where he thought no one was looking, and maybe could hide it behind a tree.
Then he chose to drive to Orchidland Wiki to pick out a six pack of beer cause he was tired making all those choices.

Sounds easier to drive to the Hilo dump.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Yes he/she was faced with a difficult choice of driving to Hilo, so he/she decided to let a new lot owner to deal with his trash. I am sure when the lot owner comes to view his/her newly cleared lot with his/her family this will just make his/her day. Welcome to the neighborhood!!!
Much construction waste, e.g., insulation, anything with cement/mortar, etc. is not combustible and not 'processible' (in the vernacular of WTE).
Likewise for mattresses and other bulk items.
WTE is in fact called "combustion" because that is what it is -- burning materials directly to generate heat.
Ive been noticing a lot of garbage spilled on 130 as well. really sad the people who spilled it didn't turn around and pick it up.

I guess I could do it for them...
I think a lot of that is from heavily overloaded trucks that have just picked up trash from people's houses.
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

First he chose to move the toilet and boards out of his yard, because it was garbage and he didn't want to look at garbage in his yard.
Then he chose to load it all into his pickup truck.
Then he chose to drive around for awhile until he found a place where he thought no one was looking, and maybe could hide it behind a tree.
Then he chose to drive to Orchidland Wiki to pick out a six pack of beer cause he was tired making all those choices.

Sounds easier to drive to the Hilo dump.

There may be a good idea here.

Let's start selling beer at the solid waste transfer stations including the Hilo dump. Maybe even at a 10% discount over the regular beer prices.

Just one less decision for the guy who did this to make.

and if we place the plant on top of Pu'u o'o, we can use volcanic energy to burn the trash, generate additional electricity, AND clean up the vog...

quote:
Originally posted by pahoated
A waste-to-energy plant is going to allow all of this as fuel. The transfer station will just have another dumpster for construction waste and things like mattresses. The income from selling the electricity will help to ensure the transfer stations remain free. Now, this is the point where the somebody with a punatic fixation on the word "incinerator" starts squawking. The word incinerator can't be used in isolation anymore and needs to include scrubber stacks. A waste-to-energy plant is an incinerator with a scrubber stack. And the incineration is more like gasification, a step above simple combustion.

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>