Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Can Puna grow, find ways to cater to tourism?

quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

This leaves visitors free to utilize the more modest and sustainable model of "Bed/Breakfast", or "Camp/Breakfast".

Excellent thought, now how do we get County to issue the required permits? Lodging is a Special Use, and food preparation requires a commercial kitchen...

Tourist dollars would be more evenly spread among residents as these types of venues grow.

Sometimes I think this is exactly what "they" are trying to prevent -- keeping tourists (read: dollars) centralized in a hotel makes everything easier to "manage"...

I have a friend who has a bed and breakfast place.It's on a 5 acre ag lot in Kapoho and it has the proper SUP and commercial kitchen.His idea was to have 4 separate cottages and a breakfast pavilion.The friendly people at planning came up with the idea of the covered walkway to tie it together under one roof to make it legal.

http://www.kapohocottages.com/

Kalakoa, high paying jobs and education for our keiki, more options for our kupuna and the development to provide for that.

dakine has some great ideas. I want my kids to be able to have good careers here on this
island, not have to move to O'ahu or the mainland for a "better life"
like many of my school mates from Ka'u have had to.

Born&Raised Hawai'i Island
quote:
Originally posted by opihikao
Well, the Ali'i landed at Honolulu Landing, so perhaps that's a better area.
Not just the ali'i. Honolulu landing was a busy port, small boats taking goods out to ships anchored offshore. Ruderman is trying to introduce a bill for a harbor along the Puna coastline. The problem with the Puna coastline is there are no protected bays. Even something like dredging out Kapoho Bay than putting in a jetty across the entrance, would be washed out with a tsunami or earthquake, which is what ended Honolulu Landing, Nanawale Bay sunk with an earthquake. It would be quite a technological feat, plus very expensive, to essentially invent a harbor system, that could withstand earthquakes, tsunamis and hurricanes. The Puna coastline is beautiful but it has been a disaster magnet for centuries.
quote:
Honolulu means protected bay and only two other places in the state (on other islands) bear the name (there is one on Maui). Prior to 1924 this was a shipping embarking location with small boats loading ships anchored further out. However, in 1924 great earthquakes resultant from the Kilauea explosion caused the shoreline to subside and the bay disappeared.

"Mahalo nui Pele, 'ae noho ia moku 'aina" - kakahiaka oli
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Thanks Obie for sharing, great idea and location. Now i kick myself for not buying some of those 5 acre farm lots back in the early 90's, they were asking about 25,000 for them. At that time though I couldn't foresee so many tourists for the rental or B&B ideas on farm land. Wow what a great deal in today's time, what are the going or gouging tourist rates these days for say a place like your friends?
Dakine, your idea is really a good one also. Those types of jobs or careers can be found in almost every city most tourists are trying to get away from. Look around you, rainbows, mountains, oceans, wildlife, nature, sunshine. These are things or part of this world most want to feel or see at times in their life. Hawaii will always be a future tourist destination because of aviation and these other qualities.
Those jobs you mention are often held by smart educated people like you stated, won't provide to many local jobs at all. Then the people who usually work those kind of jobs are smart with their money, like frivolous with it. Most of their money would be tied up in stocks, bonds, wall street future money. See when tourist vacation they come with intentions to have fun, see and do things, and spend some of that hard earned money. Puna has become a destination for many due to tourists needs of adventure or RR today. Now may be Puna's time to capitalize and provide a safe and entertaining vacation or stay for these visitors. We could use the added revenue now during this very costly slow disaster on our community.
Dakine I do agree with you about not wanting to raise my keiki to be house cleaners, or valet parking attendees. Yet those jobs when worked hard are still very rewarding in many more ways than no job or needing and collecting handouts like Ebt. Not very long ago on these islands the good working jobs were found on the ranches, farms, and fields. So I would consider catering to tourism as an upgrade for many reasons, beats working the cane fields, or coal mines. Jmo, We here in Puna have the work force, education, and now the tourists, all we need now is the state of Hawaii to invest in these parts to keep tourists here longer and willing to spend more.
The last estimate was around 1.3 million tourists per year for this island. That adds an artificial population increase of over 3000 per day, added to the 185,000 kamaaina. It seems like there is plenty of tourist traffic and you have to remember, most tourists are trying to cram in every tourist trap they have read about on internet forums, ie, they don't spend a lot of time in one place. It's all about the marketing, promote week long unwind vacations versus Hawaii 5-0 Honolulu 24-hr party experience. Seems like enough tourist traffic as it is, but it's going to keep growing. There are a lot of vacated houses that are basically vacation rentals now, so that is happening just due to the always changing conditions around here. With Section 8 allowed for south Puna Monday, and the only available affordable rentals are in south Puna, plus a 6000 waiting list, will give you the congestion that you are looking for.

"Mahalo nui Pele, 'ae noho ia moku 'aina" - kakahiaka oli
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Out of that 3000 per day, the vast majority are in Kona and the resorts north of there. I'd be surprised if there were even 250 tourists on any given day in Puna (not counting the parts of the National Park that lie in Puna). There are a number of vacation rentals available, but it's a buyer's market - most are empty a good chunk of the time.
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present
"I had hoped that the new (intended) park in Pahoa would include a couple acres for a professional campground. Back packer tourists from Europe, Japan and elsewhere would be a boon to Pahoa. A campground walking distance from stores and restaurants would be full."

my favorite suggestion of the lot here. free from blatant angles or bias and, best of all, makes perfect sense and is entirely realistic.
We have over 250 tourists in our neighborhood in Kapoho every day !!
Shed inhibitions.

15% estimate of tourists world wide prefer a warm naturist area.

4 million in UK alone.

Former Puna Beach Resident
Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing
People in the UK will say anything if they think it'll mean visiting a warmer climate...