Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Can Puna grow, find ways to cater to tourism?
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

quote:
Originally posted by rainyjim

Just to nitpick..

Every time I go to Kaleo's I can't help but notice the tourists are seated to the left of the door and the "locals" are in the bar side. Take from that what you will but Aloha is not what comes to mind first.

That said I enjoy their tremendously overpriced food especially the pork wontons and filet! Also love the live music when it happens. Nice that we have such a spot in Pahoa. Also very akamai that they have a parking attendant to help people find a spot to park.

Also... Unless something is done about the SUP / commercial kitchen process I doubt puna will be seeing any development anytime soon! Gotta pick your battles and it's hard to look past all the rentals who are clearly already operating under the radar and skipping out on the transient accommodations tax already.

You are mistaken about the seating. I go to Kaleo's at least 3-5x per week, sometimes lunch, sometimes dinner. There is no seating preferences for local vs tourist. The parking attendant is not there to help you park, rather he is there to keep others from parking in their lot and walking to other places down the street.

When Kaleo's was getting tour busses they were always seated on the left, because they brought in 15 or more people at a time. I think locals know to ask for the dining room seating and are willing to wait to be seated for those seats. I know we are, I don't like the atmosphere on the left and always request that seating when I make a reservation.
A parking lot in Pahoa is badly needed. There are plenty of available empty store fronts in Pahoa. We have a well-deserved reputation as a good restaurant town. Without parkin I would be unlikely to open anyplace in historic Puna. Catering to upscale tourists can be encouraged. Maui did it. Upcountry Maui has restaurants and art galleries. No McDonalds or Burger Kings. Makawao or even Laguna Beach come to mind as places that have retained their character despite growth. Puna is very big. We can accommodate growth without selling our souls. Give our keiki hope.
Pahoa should consider making Main St a one way road with angled parking. Traffic could loop around via post office Rd (also one way).
Pahoa should consider making Main St a one way road...

Ah, if only Pahoa were a real town.

A parking lot in Pahoa is badly needed.

I seem to recall a plan to turn the current unpaved Pahoa Farmers' Market into a paved parking lot (with a Farmers' Market on it) to the tune of $2.1M.
Someone suggested closing off both ends of old town Pahoa making it wheelchair accessible, creating a no car zone.
closing off both ends of old town Pahoa ... creating a no car zone.

It hasn't rained for awhile, but it will again someday
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
When logged in one may edit one's own posts by clicking on the icon with the pencil.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
[/quote]

I'm always logged in and in the past do remember seeing that icon.
Did not see anything except the two that are always there.
Thanks....

Don't be an sesquipedalian, Eschew Obfuscation.....

Sometimes, when I see the neighborhood children make small discoveries of their own, I wish I were a child.
With apologies to Dr. Seuss

Sometimes, when I see the neighborhood children make small discoveries of their own, I wish I were a child.

The above follow-up did not show that icon either, sorry, only the profile and quote icons. [?][?][?]

Hey imwithstoopid, I think we've seen others report the problem you're talking about and a computer reboot... or at least a quit and relaunch of your browser.. was the fix.. If I remember right. Good Luck.
imwithstoopid-
You can also check on the top right of the page to see if you're logged in. Sometimes, if your browser saves your login and password, that information will appear on your screen, but you may need to press LOGIN again.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves