Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highway 130 shoulder inbound to Pahoa lane is open
People will expect to use a small hand held device to access all the world's knowledge and millions of cat pictures.

Well, it's something to do while sitting in traffic, right?
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa
HELCO gets paid every time they move the poles. Why would they cheat themselves out of the additional work?

Citation for this assertion? HELCO tried to get the County of Hawaii to share the cost of relocating five 69kV transmission poles for the Mamalahoa Highway bypass project. However, they cited a 1960s attorney generals opinion stating they don't have to do this.
millions of cat pictures

How about the real thing?

An app from the Keaau Humane Society could be designed with photos of the cats they have available for adoption. Scroll through the list while stuck in traffic between Milo Street and Keaau High school on your afternoon commute home, click "ADOPT" when you find one you like, and a helpful staff member will wait with your choice mauka side of Highway 130 immediately before the merge. Be ready with your passenger window rolled down, and enjoy your new cat on the drive home!
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Citation for this assertion?

HELCO doesn't do anything for free. Either they "absorb" the cost of infrastructure work (and pass it along to ratepayers) or they "charge" someone for it (public works, so passed along to the taxpayers).

In this case, they moved the poles enough for one more lane, so they'll have to move the poles again if the highway is ever widened, and charge accordingly. Ordinarily I would add "but that's Never Gonna Happen", except there's a long-range plan that suggests it might.

Some people have no choice when they get into traffic

In which case it's up to area employers to institute "flex-time" in order to better distribute the rush hour....
It wasn't HELCO's fault that the state didn't acquire enough extra right-of-way. HELCO simply did what they were told to do.
the county and utilities are at fault for not predicting the future

In this case, the documented long-range plans were published before HELCO moved the poles.

It wasn't HELCO's fault that the state didn't acquire enough extra right-of-way

Exactly: failure to plan means the work will be done multiple times.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

Exactly: failure to plan means the work will be done multiple times.

Relax...Relax everyone. It's ok, PahoaTed said he's got it! He's gonna pay for the entire bill apparently.

-------------------------
To email me click on Link http://is.gd/QMfVEX
Just curious.

Yesterday on my drive home the portable flashing sign near the merge said the shoulder lane would be open (Keaau to Shower Dr?) starting Feb 24th from 3-6 PM.
It looked like the highway crew still had to complete marking all of the lines for the driving lane, shoulder lane and turns before it could happen, so hopefully the weather allowed them to do that today.
Did anyone drive that section of Highway 130 this afternoon? Is it two full lanes to Shower Drive now? Any change in driving time?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The flashing sign now says it will open Wednesday the 25th but I doubt that will happen.
Thanks Obama Billy Russell!