Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Relocating to Puna
Since plenty of you seem to be reading this, it's a good place to post a want list....

We are collecting recycled items for building the little cabin. Have gotten some GREAT stuff.... but still looking for a few supplies.

Could use tile for countertops (broken okay; we're artistic), stone of any kind, windows, a sliding door, generic building materials, free standing wood stove, paint, drywall... misc building materials.

Can pick up at your convenience.
Mahalo for all your support on all levels. Love sharing the adventure!

May you live in interesting times.
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
I just bought two lots in Puna Palisades and I'm making notes and drawings for my house. I am interested in recomendations for builders. Also, do I need an architect, or is a draftsman/woman sufficent? Are garages really necessary, does the salt air really rot out cars without one. I figure I'll buy a used jeep and not care what it looks like, but I would prefer it held together.

Also, pslamont, just intrigued because my sur name is La Mont.

Rob

Robert C. La Mont
Aloha,
Rob L
Rob, A draftsperson is very sufficient. They doo all the hands on work and consult with you, then once finalized the plan goes to an archetect for final approval. Building plans here have to be stampd by a licensed archetect who agrees to supervise and be responsible for the project. You also have to have engineers for sepcit/cesspool and for your water cachment. Seprately, you will need a Hawaii licensed plumber and electrician to pull seprate permits for their work. Everyone gets a piece here!

I don't know where Puna Paradise is; do you have a street name? Are you here on the Big Island, or will you be soon? Would love to share with you whatever I can.

YOu will find Bill Foster is my builder of choice. Yes, he is my cousin. His father was one of the most skilled finish carpenters and designers I have ever known, and he taught his son well. The web page is http://www.qualityhomesinhawaii.com/aboutbill.html
His work is HIGH END.

If you are considering building more along the economy line and want to go "owner builder" (do you understand what that is? - you can't do this if you use a bank loan to build your home) then I know a guy who can help you for a lot less money. His work is very good quality but he is not a licensed contractor. You will hear pro's and con's about taking this route and I am not making a recommendation one way or another. I can only say that if I weren't required to have a contractor I would feel comfortable working with this other guy.

Enough said. Please feel free to be in contact directly. Lots of web friends have stopped by to see the property project I am working on and share their experiences and questions. I am always happy to help if I can.

Pam
pslamont@yahoolcom

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Puna Palisades is near Kehena Beach, south of Phahoa. Thanks for the website on the builder, I'll check it out. Right now, I'm working in Asia. So I'll need a good draftsman and builder who can work throgh e-mail and occational visits.

Robert C. La Mont
Aloha,
Rob L
To Robert C La Mont: I recommend Janel at Honsador Lumber. She is an independent and doesn't actually work for them but her office is in the Hilo Honsador building. She communicates well, her prices are very reasonable, she works well with builders and I happen to know that Bill Foster has a working relatiobship with her and the Architect and Engineers she uses so it all works together well. She has been right on time for me, achieving everything promised in a very timely fashion. She will tell you she is email phobic but her secretary keeps on top of things.

To everyone Else: What's Happening--->

We have been working on the garden. It somehow has shrunken from the original size down to 40 x 25 feet. I think everyone is tired. However, the soil is turned and rototilled three times, having dug in several truckloads of mulch, about 500 lbs of cured manure, lime to sweeten the soil and generic fertilizer. We set the corner and gate posts today... no small task! Alex is great with cement and I am becoming a star on the tractor hauling logs, water, cement, dirt, rocks and everything else. At the end of the day we planted a couple of hibiscus in bloom at the walking entrance just to do something pretty! It is all becoming visual and is very satisfying. I hope to be putting up Fencing by Thursday and seedlings over the weekend. Tomorrow we pull more grass bits out of the ground... we have already pulled tractor buckets full but it just keeps on surfacing... and put in the rows/furrows and weed mat.

In the middle of all this I have had a cold with fever for about 5 days now, so I retreat to the shower and bed twice a day, then get back to working. Tylenol is my best friend. You starve a cold and feed a fever rigth? Hope so; been eating like a pig! Seriously, for those of you expecting me to come by for some reason or other, I am delayed another few days. Sorry... doing the best I can.

Also, things with the lender, builder, county planning/permits and subcontractors are all coming together. The adventure is feeling like a great success. Thank you for all your support and enthusiasm. Smile

Pam

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Easter Sunday.... Wow... October to March ... it's been a thrilling roller coaster ride for sure.

I spent the morning rototilling ONE MORE TIME. After getting the fencing up we decided to put a cement threshold where the gate will go. Stomping on half the garden putting up the fence it was a good idea to loosen it up one more time. Gave me a good chance to check consistency too. After two hours I had it done AND the rows marked in with string but alas.... no one working on a Sunday but me and as it started to rain I realized I would never get those rows in without making a mess. I retreated to the workshop to put mesh over the gate, which must be hung to keep the pigs out before I get these transplants in the ground. With rain not letting up I decided to have my own lazy day, hit the store and made a nice big pot of vegetable beef soup. After relaxing and watching a movie I shared the soup with some friends and all seems good with the world. Just wait till I can make that soup with veggies from my own garden!

It has been raining pretty well for two days now and the fruit trees are just loving it. It's been a good excuse for me not to work too much, especially with Alex away for 4 days at a family gathering.

Maybe if the sun is out tomorrow I will get that gate done... and maybe not. I think I am turning HAWAIIAN, which is a good thing.. because there is always another day. It's not that I am not working, I just have so many projects going now with sprouting more seeds (flowers, letuce, onion, gourds, peppers, peas....), finishing the playhouse walls, curtains and flooring, the garden.... it's never ending. I love it but it's never ending.

Off to bed for me. I hope to hear from more of you soon. come visit anytime especially if you have been by before as you can really see the progress.

Smile Pam

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Sounds like a wonderful day Pam. We hit another milestone ourselves - got our first 20 ft container packed. It's off to the rail site on Tuesday and will be in Hilo Apr 22. I'll have to adjust my trip as I wasn't arriving until Apr 26. What makes this one so significant is it contains my brand new tractor (Kioti CK30HST) and all its goodies plus all the various building supplies we've pickup up these last 2 years. We bought this container, so after delivery it won't have to be immediately unloaded, just secured until later. Now I have to contact my house designer and tell him to incorporate the container into the plan for the tractor/utility shed.
Somehow, just knowing all that stuff is on its way, just makes this whole dream so much more real. The only downside, I sure have some aching muscles.....
Another day closer.... SmileSmileSmile
David

Ninole Resident
Oh, my goodness, WHAT A WNDERFUL DAY!! It is pouring rain these last few days but we have pressed on. The garden has been the focus. The fence is up. The groud is prepped. Rain. Raiin. Rain. What the heck - we decided to just go for it, so this morning I got Alex started digging rows of 8 inch trenches between 26 inch rows. I headed to Hilo landfill for a truckload of mulch. When I got back, 10 of the 16 rows were done with rain pouring. Alex shifted to working on installing the gate while I hauled mulch and corn plants, and then pea plants and my bamboo trellis... You all would have gotten a good laugh. In the middle of the mud, in my nice new boots and jeans, the rain began coming down in buckets, my boots created suction and stuck firm as I tried to move and BOOM.. down I went. As Alex pointed out, "you are mud up to your okole". You would have laughed at little Alex trying to wedge me out of the mud. NO WAY. I am a whole lotta woman and he ain't a whole lotta man. I finally gave up, rolled onto my belly and muscled up out of it. He fllowed me as I slogged out of the garden, got to the workshop/tent area, peeled off what I could and maintain a modicum of modesty, sat down in a chair and just laughed. Mud everywhere, I had at least washed off my head, hands and feet. "You don't seem mad; in fact you seem happy" said Alex. He was right. I was much more impressed with my success at getting 60 corn plants and 10 peas and three nice big pepper plants in the ground than I was with the tumble into mud I had taken. About the only thing I feel bad about is that I killed a lot of his nice rows but I figure we'll repair it when things aren't so wet.

Not a hero by any means, I helped Alex put mesh over the gate to keep the pigs out of the garden and left him to finish cleaning up and putting away tools, as well as unload the rest of the mulch from the pick-up truck.

Now that I am home, have had a hot shower, vacuumed up the mud I tracked in accidentally and am stretched out I am reminded that the Tylenol is only a room away and may well be my best friend for the night.

On this grand adventure, success and failures combine to make the memories. Painting this picture for you, I hope you all enjoy the humor of my misadventures as well as the accomplishments.

I continue too sprout seeds in the tabletop greenhouse and expect to be transplanting once or twice a week. This gives me a great thrill and I hope many of you will respond not only here online but by contacting me and/or stopping by to see it all. It is so fun to share.

I am going to spend the rest of the evening watching my bruises become evident and planning on what mischief I can get into tomorrow!

Aloha.

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Oh Pam...you are great....I love reading about your adventures in your piece of paradise...now if we can just get our house sold here in Oklahoma, we will be coming for our own adventure!

Hi Pam,

I have to tell you I have had the same thing ALMOST happen to me in our garden last year! When I got stuck I was close the the edge and was able to extract myself without too much damage, but it was a close thing!
My wife and I will come for a visit around the third week of May. We can hardly wait!

David D