Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Relocating to Puna
Wow, it's officially June. We are excavating and have to remove nearly 10 feet of soil from one side of the site. Friends from the less soil-rich areas are coming by with pick-up trucks and we are loading soil into the beds for them. It's fun to share.

The permit process is indeed frustrating. The building department said the permit would be out around Wednesday the 25th. It is still not out. My drafter phoned the department for me and was told the reviewer "took the week off so things are getting behind." My plans are on her desk awaiting her return. We have requested another person complete the review. We'll see how it goes...

Nate from So Cal, who has 6 very wild acres in Orchidland with an awesome cave, has been by and we are working together on a few small projects for him. His cave is actually an entry to one of the most famous lava tubes on the big island. Wish I could spell the name... starts with a K (but then doesn't nearly everything??) and runs from the volcano right down to the sea. It's about30 feet high. Amazing. Delightful young man, he is discovering the torturous work of digging in a lava-laden site.

Back to the Lamont Ranch....Hubby is here and having a pretty good time. He puttered around working on my fun (but old) jeep, scraping and painting and cleaning and such. Today I think he has planned some weed whacking if it's not raining and the great fete of setting out our mailbox. Of course, we don't actually get mail delivery... way too civilized an idea for this remote area... but a friend custom made a mailboz with a lovely seahorse and we're putting it up. At least it will make it even easier for people to identify our entry gate Smile.

The cabin continues to come along. We wanted to put in three sets of bunks but it just isn't going to happen. The ceilig in the downstairs is so low it looks like the Geico commercial, so it will sleep four instead of six downstairs. We are still considering putting in a couple of drop down bunks on chains. We'll see.... Chris is doing a fabulous job on things awaiting the start of framing the house.

We bbq out at the ranch for dinner most nights. It's good social time. Keeps us all on the same page and gives good cameraderie. Besides the food is wonderful.

Nancy F and her family came out and enjoyed a BBQ with us, along with new neighbors that are helping design and build the composting toilet system for the cabin and a seprate greenhouse style shower-house. I am providing them soil and mowing services, respectively. It's all a trade system and it's just great. I LOVE HAWAII!!

That's about it for nowl Have a great adventure either over here or in your dreams. Again, thanks for both your interest and continued support. Pam

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
EDDIE BAUER SANDALS? Must be from Seattle!I bet you belonged to REI coop and were a regular t starbicks? Did you also shop at PCC food coop natural foods? Bet you own a Jansport backpack and drive a large suv am I right on any of this this? Just curious thats all

Frank you are sooooo wrong. I am not from Seattle, don't even drink coffee so don't do Starbucks, shop at a regular grocery store and don't own a backpack. I drive a 4 wheel drive Jeep Wrangler, not a giant SUV. NOW, PLEASE STOP MAKING THESE ENTRIES ON MY ADVENTURE LOG. YOU HAVE A TON OF YOUR OWN TOPICS TO WRITE IN.

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Pam

Many of us really enjoy your detail accounting of your adventure and look forward to the updates and appropriate responses.
You are right to want to keep it on topic.
Thanks for the pics. Cabin is looking great.
David

Ninole Resident
Thanks Dave and everyone who has written here or emailed me. This string is intended to share the adventure and the fun as well as how-to information. Anyone can author their own topic. I don't see where interfering serves any purpose. So, on with the story...

Today hubby put up a new mailbox.. not that we actually have mail delivery... but a friend made it, it's cool with a nice large seahorse, so it's up! As soon as the county sees fit to get us our permit and give us an actual address I guess we'll add that too.

Lots of little things are happening. Hubby built a new garden box; I just have to decide whether to fill it with strawberries or an herb garden. Excavation continues slowly because of rain. The Composting toilet addition to the cabinet is under way. The garden is sprouting up FAST now with lots of evening showers and hot daytime sun.

I have made some new friends over the soil offer which has been great fun (I posted an offer for some of the soil we are excavating if people want to come get it). I even got to hook up an internet friend from California with a local friend here to buy palm trees, then get mulch and soil so he could bust through sa bunch of rock and plant the trees on his Orchidland place. It is great fun to share this adventure with those of like spirit.

Gathering the Ohia's for the cabin addition, we broke through an area we hadn't explored yet and found a lovely new and undisturbed pasture. It was just like the first time I saw our property.... my heart filled with Awe as I noticed many little details.. the sun, the shade, the sprouting of fiddleheads, the pathway that is likely a pig trail, the orchids in a shady spot. The whole experience filled me with excitement and awe. Hawaii is so beautiful, and our little corner Puna seems to be the most beautiful of all to me. I am soooo lucky to be here.

Off for a good nights sleep now. Tomorrow we mix cement, set posts and build an elevated floor. Never a dull moment.

Aloha and Mahalo.

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Pam
I think most of us on the forum really enjoy your adventures in this new home and look foeward to your updates. Those that dont can just skip the topic when its updated. I look forward to seeing your place sometime when we get up that way.
Have you been keeping a photo record of the progress?
Now that Frank has his own topic on living here maybe he can quit with the sarcastic comments on yours.
After reading his first post I can see why he has such a bitter attitude. By the way isnt he the one from Seattle?
Keep up the good work and do keep us all posted on the progress. Alot of us are interested.
Larry

Hi Pam,
Deborah and I had a great time when we visited you last month. Lots to think about and some great ideas. Almost too much to remember! I wrote down a lot of stuff in my Hawaii File at home.
If you want an address for your property call the County at this number: 961-8469. They are a part of the County Planning Dept that issues addresses. We called and got an address in 5 minutes. All on the phone!
If you do have a big Get Together this January let me know (david@kukuna.net). Deborah was really excited to hear that might happen. And it would be great to see the progress on the Lamont Ranch.
Deborah and I really enjoy reading about your adventures. And so do a whole lot of other folks out there. Don’t stop!!!

David and Deborah D

Frank: In Kindergarten, most of us learned to keep our art on our own canvas.

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Visited Pam at the ranch a couple of weeks ago. It was great to finally see the fruit of her labors and the peek at the vision for the ranch. The area is wonderful - lots of ferns, fruit trees, pastures, etc... We got a tour in the little red jeep and saw the progress being made on the cottage and the pad for the main house. They are very nicely integrated into the property.

It's going to be a great place to party! In fact, there was a nice gathering there when we dropped in. If we were not already headed to another party, we would have stayed.

Pam, keep up the great work. Thanks for your hospitality and generosity. We'll let you know when we come across materials that you may be able to use for the cottage. We'll also take you up on your offer for a hapuu.

Mahalo,
Noel and Stephanie

Noel
Thanks Noell, Larry and everyone. It's fun to share the adventure with those who enjoy it. Nate SC and Tom Bebe have been by this week too. Lots of impromptu BBQ's and such. Dirt still available for my friends. Just contact me.

Excavation is slowed down by this week's rain but at least we finally have the building permit. It is all wonderfully exciting.

The garden has doubled in growth in the last week with the great evening rains and morning sun. Fruit trees are happy. Progress is continuing on the cabin with the small water tank elevated above what will be the composting toilets in a couple weeks. If anyone is interested we have come across information on this subject that makes it VERY doable for everyone off grid and in the wilds who doesn't want an outhouse or pit toilet.

Hubby is puttering with a few things. I am starting a new herb garden in a raised bed he is putting up and another for strawberry's.

So, if anyone is bored, come on over... if I don't put you to work, chances are I will feed you. One way or another you can see what is happening and share some of the fun.

Aloha and Mahalo,

Pam

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Hiiiiiiii Pammmmmmm!!!!!
got back last night and I wanted to let you know it was so cool meeting you. I was there for the mounting of the "Sea Horse" and I would have shed a tear if I didn't see Bob's "plumber crack" when he was installing it(just kidding). The jeep tour of the place was awesome. My head was bouncing like a Low-Rider in a Snoop Dog Video. You are so humble. I need to tell these people. Pam hooked me up with palm trees, soil, mulch, tools, scrap wood,she delivered stuff to "Hale Mo'Olani" and fed me righteous a dinner. (have they eat'n the pie?)inside joke. I even spent a night at her cabin chatting with the "crew".
For anyone to talk smack about Pam is a person who has never met her. She's not a hater,,,not a judger....she's just cool....(I still think that Green Day CD was yours...lol)> Share with us and continue to share your life here.
Thank you so much Pam for all your help on "Hale Mo'Olani" and I owe you huge.
Nate
P.S. "The seat has a hinge on it for a reason"...lol