Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Relocating to Puna
Progress! We have called for inspection of the cesspool and house placement. Wish us luck!

Also, I have met a new fellow who is interested in some of the trade and barter and "jobs" some of us have been sharing.... to whit.... he has access to a large truck and loader. Since I can't get the excavator to do what he promised, there is hope for those of you who wanted soil thanks to our new friend Dave. He will first be loading up fill and rock that he needs... then he is willing to make some deliveries. He still wants the $80 delivery fee... I guess he has to pay a driver and the fuel and all... but there is hope for those of you who have already emailed me and asked for dirt delivery. I will get back to you in order.... just hope for no rain by Saturday.

All the equipment that had sunken in the mud is removed. Batt boards are up and we are spreading rock by wheelbrrow. We will be pouring piers hopefully by the weekend. Forms are being built now. Hubby has done more tile work and will be putting up shelving in the little cabin. A couple workers are scheduled to put up the water cachment, gutters and such on the cabin and the roof over the new bbq. Rain is causing building slowdowns but the garden is loving it! We ate our first cucumber from the garden yesterday. Strawberry flowers are popping out and a single strawberry showed up today. I got the taro in and it's happy as can be. It's amazing how much joy I get from growing things.

Keep your visits up and see what we are up to. As always, call if you want to bring your pick-up trucks to get soil. I can load into those little things no problem.

Hope this week finds you dry under your roof and collecting much needed water in your cachment!

Aloha, Pam

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Pam
What's your electricity situation? Are you on Helco?
What are you using to power cabin and construction?
If not Helco, what are plans for electricity for the house?
David

Ninole Resident
David,
We are on Helco. There are power lines up the entire frontage of our property. We have trenched for underground lines on the property. Additionally, our plan calls for a net metered solar system. Covering the bases!!!!

We are currently using a medium sized generator during construction but expect temporary power aid in shortly. The electrician was just out day before yesterday to view the site and the trench. We are using Hirayama Brothers. They have a fine reputation for honesty and quality work. Several of my neighboirs used them when building in the last couple yearsl

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
aloha pam,

i'm interested in learning about your solar set up if you don't mind sharing...who did you use, are there state credits, how much power will you generate, what is the initial cost to the project, are you setting up yourself or is your solar company doing all the work?

thanks again,

noel

hello pam and thanks for all your posting.they will realy come in handy when we get to opihikao this july .we plan on building a home and stat our hawaiian farming future.thanks to punafish (tim) he turned me on to this site.keep up the good work ALOHA IKA

Noel,
Solar is in limbo. I talked to Provision Technologies and although they seem to do good quality design, they don't install. They simply design you a system and sell yo the parts. I have also talked to Solarman, who does his own installatons, but he seems to have dropped the ball. I contacted one other company, who's name escapes me at the moment, but they have not gotten back to me. They have a fine reputation though so I will work on that again. Be happy to keep you posted on progress. As I wish a free standing panel array I am not concerned about it r/t timing on the house building. There's plenty of time.

Most current adventure involved the Excavator. Seems he dug the cesspool too shallow and didn't allow for a proper enough lip for the lid pour. He has been in negoitiations with the inspector. Since he has done such a poor job on most of this it doesn't surprise me, but has disappointed me greatly. My contractor, the excavator and the inspector will work it out.

In addition to the poor job on the cesspool, he did not level the site, which he was hired to do. The back corner remains 6 feet above the front corner, which gives me a MAJOR elevation of the front of the house. Big as it is, it is going to lose its' line with the landscape and look like the LAMONT MANSION with a looming skyline (although one story, the greatroom has 18 foot ceilings). Ambiance as planned is lost but I am trying to simply see another picture in my mind. Changing it now that the rock underlayment has been spread would cost thousands and thousands of dollars and is not worth it. Ahhhh, the joys of building.

Good news is that I seem to have found another carpenter's helper, and he is working out well. A couple of the guys laid out the grid for the piers this morning before the rain strarted pouring for the afternoon. I had baked a loaf of fresh bread and made a pot of chicien tortellini soup for the workers. Big hit as the rain hit and spoiled the day working for in the mud. The morning was so productive it did my heart good. Chris got the gutters finished, the porch extended and is ready to build the composting toilet room. Patrick got the frame done for the outdoor shower. We will stretch the plastic for the roof this weekend.

I will be making a trip to the mainland next week. It will be interesting to see what gets accomplished while I am gone. Hope it is miraculous and the deck is being built with piers poured and um... ..um... .. um... a whole week of dry weather!!

Wish us luck!
Pam

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Tom Carpenter installed my neighbor's solar system and he is very satisfied with it , Tom's number is 895-2154 cell. I haven't spoken with him myself.

Not having had a chance to shop solar on BI, I'm bringing a small system ( 4X123 watt panels) I put together here thru contact from Ebay. I will use this system on my shed. What might be of interest is the guy claims to ship panels etc to Hawaii. I did ask shipping cost as I'm loading it all on my container in July.

Glad to hear of your progress Pam, but I'd be very annoyed at the 6 ft variance. My guy isn't even done and was within 1 foot overall without taking a measurement (but I did)

Did you ever get a pic site up? Sure would be nice to see the progress.

David

Ninole Resident
thanks for the input pam on the solar....have fun in socal, will be in puna mid july to check on my project, hopefully will get to see your amazing projects finally!

noel

My So Cal trip has taken on new meaning. A very experienced and talented technical diver from San Diego, who happens to be a friend, died in a dicving accident 2 days ago. I am left devastated. This should NOT have happened. He was on a routine exploratin of a wreck with a student. The student was a very experienced diver doing some technical training. When they were separated, the student left the wreck and went topside too the waiting dive boat. My friend, Steve Donathan, was found abut 2 days later in the bowels of the ship. As yet there is no explanation. Why am I writing about this? Because I have been sharing my ups and downs for 6 months now and this is a major down. I fly into San Diego tomorrow and will attend his memorial at the shore near where we all learned to dive o Wednesday evening. Keep good thoughts for me. I will then be diving to commemorate.... etc. etc. etc....

Pam

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Pam,
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I am glad you will be there for the memorial and to say your goodby. Just be glad for him as he died doing something he loved. His spirit will be with all those that he met I'm sure.
Best wishes and I hope the rest of your trip is successful.