Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neurosurgery on the Big Island?
I am pretty sure the answer on this is "no", but do any Punawebbers know of any neurosurgeons on the Big Island? If not, do you know of any who visit?

I am assuming that any neurosurgery that takes place in Hawaii, takes place on Oahu. And that when it is botched the patient is dispatched to Puna.

Do I have any part of that wrong?

Leon K. Liem
670 Ponahawai St. Suite 122
935-7890
(also speaks Dutch )

Good luck Kelena.
aloha,
pog
Wow. Okay. It DOES sound like their may be a neurosurgeon or two on island. The reason I ask is that I sustained a brain injury that could result in a cerebral hemorraghe. This could happen quite suddenly. I'm on the mainland. The operation is June 3rd. My neurosurgeon here strongly advises against returning to the Big Island because of the unavailability of neurosurgeons in the event of a medical emergency. But I want to come home.
I get your wanting to come home, and I imagine it would be difficult to stay there so long if there's not an explicit emergency. A June 3rd schedule suggests your condition is not critical.

HOWEVER...with no knowledge of Dr Liem, he may be excellent, I would definitely have that type of surgery done in a larger market, with better resources, than Hilo. As long as you're in an urban area of the mainland you are way better off than here.

Good Luck
It was described as not an emergency but urgent. The date was the earliest available and could get pushed up once my neurosurgeon gets back into town (at a conference). Kind of a little sword of Damocles hanging over me. I am having the surgery done in San Diego but want to come home before the surgery to get my affairs in order.

Oh, who am I kidding....my affairs are always very, very disorderly. But I would like to see Pele again, sit on my lanai, see my island ohana, hear the coquis, get stung on the arm by my own Areca Palms -- that sort of thing.

I'm sentimental that way.

"I am assuming that any neurosurgery that takes place in Hawaii, takes place on Oahu. And that when it is botched the patient is dispatched to Puna"
This is correct. Many end up as proponents of , opponents of , or sitting members of our HPP Board.
Your presence is missed on Kaloli Point. Wishing you the best.
Sharp or Scripps ?

Don't forget to ask them if you can have shave ice still.

aloha,
pog

P.S. They can prolly set up Leon as your check up guy too right?
Kelena, I do know that when the son of a friend here had a brain tumor, they had to fly him to L.A. for surgery. Whether this was bc there were no neurosurgeons available, or the family decided they didn't want to use the neurosurgeon(s) here, or it had to do with the kind of surgery needed, I don't know. The young man does still live on the island, though, but he is from a family that does not live far from one another -- they're all here as far as I know -- and of course I don't know what his L.A. surgeon told him, either.

I personally would not live here with that hanging over my head (or, rather, inside my head, as it were). I have lived in many places and have found them all equally beautiful in their own way. My health would not be worth risking for an ocean view. My 2-cents. I wish you the best of luck and of health.
Kelena, do you have a choice of neurosurgeon and facilities through your plan? Reason asking is check out schedule at other top med centers along the coast if still on the mainland all the way up to SF, have surgery, fly home and recoup. Just a thought.

Community begins with Aloha
Kelena, warm wishes to you. As I am awaiting for a MRI to see if new issues are an injury to a cranial nerve or mets of cancer to the brain, I somewhat "get it". I'm headed back to the mainland. I will follow up with my initial oncologist on May 21st. My length of stay will greatly depend upon finding of the MRI. Will keep you in thoughts and prayer. It is a hard decision to make. Our move here was to have an improved quality of life whether given three months, years, or decades. I would look into palliative care (I am) to help set up supportive services if you do come back to the island.

Best wishes
Best wishes