Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wonky flight prices; Hilo vs Kona
Flying back to Canada this week. Checked flights out of Hilo. Cheapest flight is $504. Same day, to the same destination is $214 out of Kona. What the heck? I realize there are emptier planes going back out of Kona because they're dropping off lots of tourists on that side but less than half the price from an airport that's just a short drive away?

Having said that, I wouldn't mind driving my car over to Kona side and leaving it parked in the dry rather than rusting out more in the jungle here til the next time I'm back. Anyone know an inexpensive place (not more than $20/mth) to leave a car on the dry side? It's not a nice car so security is not my major concern.

(Come to think of it, the way it's driving lately maybe I should just take off the plates, pull off the VIN and abandon it at KOA lol.)
I agree and I'm doing the same thing. I got 2 roundtrips from Kona to Portland Oregon for $800.00. Hilo to Portland was $1300. Kona has "10" non stop mainland "daily" flights covering cites to the west coast like Seattle, SanFran, Oakland, San Jose, LAX, San Diego and Phoenix which means lots of competition. Hilo has United to LAX
PunaLover,

Good question. I'm not sure what airport you are headed too in Canada, so I tried Vancouver and found a flight for $448 on skiplagged. Another possibility would be to ride share to Kona and leave your car at home in Hilo. Uber? Lift? Cab? Bus? Just a thought.

* ALOHA *

"I realize there are emptier planes going back out of Kona because they're dropping off lots of tourists on that side"

Kona side must be filling up with Canadians!
Kona side must be filling up with Canadians!

I believe once they disembark from the plane and drive oot of the airport, they prefer to be addressed as Konadians.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Konadians

Only if they stay on-island for more than 180 days/year.
I just take the Hele On bus across, then you have a choice of walking or taxi to the airport. I tend to walk, but it's not for everyone.

Kalakoa: technically, most Canadians can't stay for more than half a year at a time.

Just call me Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Some people claim to want to know more about Hawaii island, then put their blinders and ear plugs on, and go nanana, lalala, I can't hear you.

Kona airport runway is longer than Hilo, so it can take larger nonstop jets. Hilo can't. Larger jets mean more volume means economy of volume results in lower operating costs. Yes, same destination but what about the times? There are redeye direct flights from Kona that are considerably less.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Kona airport runway is longer than Hilo

By all of 1200 feet.

Yes, same destination but

"but" one of them has sunshine and beaches and nice hotels... the market has spoken.
Kona airport runway is longer than Hilo, so it can take larger nonstop jets. Hilo can't.

ITO is an international airport, built to not only handle the largest passenger planes, but giant military cargo planes as well. From the Wiki:

Hilo International Airport has two runways. Runway 8-26 is 9,800 ft × 150 ft (2,987 m × 46 m) and is used for nearly all air carrier operations. It is capable of accommodating overseas passenger service by aircraft as large as the Boeing 747 and is used occasionally by the Lockheed C-5 Galaxy, a military transport.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves