Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT Work to Resume Says Ige!
I may need to buy another freezer to continue to post on this thread lavalava. What I meant by it sounds good, is just that(sounds). Until this islands rural public schools and native hawaiians, have access to the same computers, opportunities, and quality teaching that OAHU's mixed Asains have, its not equal starting grounds for native keiki? Our public schools island test scores continue to be lower than Oahu's, why?
Because of permits and (proper?) process the construction of the TMT moves forward? JMO here, Priority should be to protect the maunakea from further human division and manmade environmental caused damage first then decommission and heal the abused aina, Then world science and religion construction or building of the new Temple's could begin, not vice a versa.
Hearing the unheard voices of maunakeas protectors is showing better manners than taking (IGE), listening and respecting would be greater signs of love, and Aloha.
"...TMT business manager David Goodman says 20 percent to 30 percent of the $1.4 billion will be spent in Hawaii, with most of that on Hawaii Island. In round numbers, that means about $300 million to $400 million spent in the state from groundbreaking in April 2014 to completion in 2022. That includes an estimated 300 temporary construction jobs on Hawaii Island..."

Id like to see these protesters do something real, for reality........ for the real Hawaiian Island chain, not put all this effort into pseudo mana and mythical aina BS...
ie try SAVING some endangered plants, they go extinct yearly here.. or at least try to learn about them .. the common 'local' I run into daily knows many of the non-native canoe plants ie Niu, Ulu, Kalo, Awa, etc. ...but are usually clueless on the endemic plants.. they know maybe 5-6 of the ca.1,000 native plants found here... Ohia, Koa, Sandalwood ('iliahi), Hala, Silversword, and maybe if lucky they know Naupaka...
if they are so into preserving their culture (now), go learn about Hawaii's natural history,.. heck the islands have been here for 30,000,000++ years (age of Kure), and these 2nd wave of Hawaiians we see today have been here for ONLY 800 years ...they killed off the 1st Hawaiians that made it here 1100 yrs before them, often called Menehune, but in reality were slaves and sacrificial victims to the 2nd wave, Menehune were called 'small in worth' not 'small in stature' (lost in translation by first haoles to write about them)... they were not small people or elves/brownies, they were 'worthless' and killed off...

so dont feel too sorry for these Hawaiians, they took land from others and killed them off, then 1778 came around and eventually they had done to them what they did to others.. w/o all the intentional masskillings... Haoles also taught them to be human.. not pick lice from each other hair (bond grooming) and eat it like monkeys, not encourage kids to have playsex or molest them (very common), not kill daughters/mothers/wives/sisters for eating a bananas, etc.... Haoles also wrote stuff down and saved their history.. they taught them to read and write, and by the late 19th Century, Hawaii was the most literate country in the World... go figure, damn haoles lol

end of rant...
aloha

ps want to learn about the real Hawaii, written about 200 years ago.. read this classic book .. a journal by a young man named Wm Ellis who walked around the Big Island and recorded the daily everyday lives of the common Hawaiian (this was in 1825, nearly 50 yrs after Cook, yet they still were savages in many ways...
https://books.google.com/books?id=dN8wuzrh6m8C&pg=PR1&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false
(its also at the Hilo library in the room with the older Hawaiians books)...
other good reads on the BI... look up John Young/Isaac Davis, The Shipmans, The Lymans, Dampier/Byron/HMS Blonde, David Malo, etc....

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
surprise...

http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/news/loca...not-enough

TMT opponents: Governor’s plan not enough

"By TOM CALLIS Hawaii Tribune-Herald

Native Hawaiian cultural practitioners challenging the Thirty Meter Telescope in court say they were left disappointed following Gov. David Ige’s remarks on management of Mauna Kea.

While Ige outlined steps Tuesday that he hopes will lead to better stewardship, including decommissioning of at least three telescopes before the TMT is built, Paul Neves and Kealoha Pisciotta told the Hawaii Tribune-Herald that the governor’s vision for the mountain still falls short since it won’t stop telescope construction. They said it also won’t resolve the conflict on Mauna Kea, where TMT opponents remain.

“Essentially, he said a lot; but he didn’t address anything relevant to what’s happening on the ground,” Pisciotta said.

“The thing that I think the governor is missing is the realization that astronomy is a privilege, not a right, and desecration is against the law in Hawaii,” she added."
...article continues @ link.

“The thing that I think the governor is missing is the realization that astronomy is a privilege, not a right, and desecration is against the law in Hawaii,” she added.

uhhhhh... where to even begin with this statement? this fanciful search for identity thing is reaching new preposterous heights.
quote:
Originally posted by bananahead
[br} aloha

bananahead, have some respect and please refrain from casually throwing that sacred word around. it is a disrespectful misappropriation of culture and simplifies a word that’s rich with meaning.
about $300 million to $400 million spent in the state (with most of that on Hawaii Island)

$300M / 8 years = $37.5M/year.

Until this islands rural public schools and native hawaiians, have access to the same computers, opportunities, and quality teaching

Universal broadband.

Neves said appeals of the $1.4 billion telescope project will continue until it is stopped.

NIMBY.
Neves said appeals of the $1.4 billion telescope project will continue until it is stopped.

I guess for Neves it's about the telescope.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Until this islands rural public schools and native hawaiians, have access to the same computers, opportunities, and quality teaching that OAHU's mixed Asains have, its not equal starting grounds for native keiki? Our public schools island test scores continue to be lower than Oahu's, why?

Ho Brah! You like Beeg City kine stuffs try hele on to tha Beeg City!

Seriously, it's like living in Bakersfield and complaining that Los Angeles has better schools or living up in Shasta County and whining that San Francisco schools have it better. Or living in Detroit and bitching about all the deserted neighborhoods.

Things are the way they are for a reason. You make your choices and you take your chances.

So much tilting at windmills around here, one might think that we are energy independent now!
like living in Bakersfield and complaining that Los Angeles has better schools

It's more like having dialup while complaining that Oahu has fiber.

Not that broadband is necessarily the universal answer, merely that it makes education more generally available.
PunaMauka, I was born and raised in Hawaii.. and really dont give a rats #$%^ about some of this sacred nonsense...
sacred Hawaiian words???.. you mean Haole-designed Hawaiian vocabulary put on paper etc. ca1820... are you talking about words with letters ie ABCs.. the stuff (reading and writing) Haoles taught eager Hawaiians post 1819...???
uh OK we use Hawaiian Petroglyphs from now to communicate via internet
ps try for not dump sacred rubbish in sacred jungle... my guess its not mainland haoles doing this to the sacred aina...
alohahahaha

We ARE ALOHA! lol

quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

like living in Bakersfield and complaining that Los Angeles has better schools

It's more like having dialup while complaining that Oahu has fiber.

Not that broadband is necessarily the universal answer, merely that it makes education more generally available.

When Puna gets to be a Million plus customers you will get your broadband my friend. T-1 lines for all! Until then you remain a bad investment for fiber expansion. Not even going to mention the lava aspect that gives accountants the willies.

Unless you mean to say that government should be in the business of supplying fiber like some god granted gift from on high. Personally I'd like to see county water delivered to all subs before they get the internets.

JMO