Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT Work to Resume Says Ige!
ps try for not dump sacred rubbish in sacred jungle... my guess its not mainland haoles doing this to the sacred aina...

Ding. We have a winner. You got that right.
"uh OK we use Hawaiian Petroglyphs from now to communicate via internet"

lol bananahead

i was being facetious. was thinking of a couple over-the-top quotes from yesterday's article about the blasphemous new movie titled "Aloha".

[i]HONOLULU — Some Native Hawaiians disapprove of the name of a movie filmed and set in Hawaii, saying that titling it “Aloha” is a disrespectful misappropriation of culture and simplifies a word that’s rich with meaning.

“They’re taking our sacred word … and they’re going to make a lot of money off of it.”
FYI: The litigants (last ones), Kumu Hula Paul Kevin Kealiikea o Mano Neves and Kealoha Pisciotta, "Mauna Kea Hui", respond to Gov. Ige's press conference: (*Snipped - More at link)

http://protectmaunakea.blogspot.com/2015...s.html?m=1

We just wanted to share some of our thoughts (see our comments below in bolded and in italics) on the Governor’s recent speech regarding Mauna Kea. We continue our Pule for Aloha and for Mauna Kea, and we are reminded of the wishes of our Kupuna—enough is enough—A’ole TMT!

Remarks of Governor David Ige as prepared

THE MAUNA KEA STORY, MAY 26, 2015

(*Note: There are several groups that are speaking out, the above is the only group left in the Appeals Court.)

Protests continue at this hour, from the Capital to the various areas around Hawai'i. TMT is making the effort to move forward, respectfully, and that is an honorable intent. The problem seems to lie within the State of Hawai'i, which includes the UH.

In sharing information, without opinion nor comment to the "snark" that continues, it is my hope that we all look at both sides. (Sans the BS remarks) SMH.

The confrontation that looms is quite real. Making light of this extremely serious situation proves lack of basic understanding and respect for each other.

Ho'oponopono should be the word of the day. TMT is attempting this very basic Hawaiian exercise. Admirable indeed.

Promises made, Mr. Ige, must be kept. Tall order.

JMO.

enough is enough—A’ole TMT!
enough is enough -- A'ole TMT

How about all the haoles leave, and take their money and their paved roads and their Walmart and everything else that desecrates the sacred island.

Yes, seriously. Let's just give the Big Island back. Would that satisfy the natives? If not, why not?
Gypsy has a good point. In most of the US rural school produce poorer results than urban one and especially suburban ones. The reason is fairly obvious. With their better tax base urban school spend more per student, and suburban ones have high income parents who are often willing to vote for higher taxes for better schools. But, Hawaii is the only state with a state wide board of education and all funding is from the state, not the locality. So, why are our schools not producing the results that other areas produce? Are better teachers more willing to work in Honolulu and less willing to work on the Big Island? Do results simply mirror the educational level of parents and the schools either cannot or do not do enough to ameliorate the differences? These are questions more people should be asking and demanding that schools find the answers and improve their education of our keki.

The TMT should be a great educational opportunity for Big Island schools. Are our schools good enough to take full advantage?

Aloha,
Rob L
Aloha,
Rob L
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

enough is enough -- A'ole TMT

How about all the haoles leave, and take their money and their paved roads and their Walmart and everything else that desecrates the sacred island.

Yes, seriously. Let's just give the Big Island back. Would that satisfy the natives? If not, why not?

Unrealistic scenario, kalakoa. Feeds into the frenzy (as we use our computers, phones, etc.). The issue here is Mauna Kea and the stewardship as it continues to be developed on "Conservation Land", with promises, promises, promises, and more promises, that have not been kept. Will the "new" promises be kept? We shall see. Your question is the extreme, as most posts these days are with this damn subject. (Sorry, with respect)

Dakine has a sentiment most "natives" do today. I happen to agree. Enough is enough. Ige walked right into a hornet's nest. This is not a "what if" situation AT ALL.

With due respect, kalakoa, the question is erroneous as it is not an option.

We are on the brink of "KU'E", for those who understand.

Remaining concerned at this hour.

JMO.

Then, OHA responds:

FYI: (*Snipped - More at link)

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/29174...a-kea-plan

A day after Governor David Ige announced the state has failed to protect Mauna Kea, but the Thirty Meter Telescope has the right to proceed
with construction -- the Office of Hawaiian Affairs has responded to his plan for improved stewardship of the mountain.

It's a complicated history for OHA's Board of Trustees, who voted in support of the Thirty Meter Telescope in 2009. Then in May, they
rescinded that approval, but stopped short of opposing TMT.

OHA trustees say the Governor's plan reflects the basic position of the Office of Hawaiian Affairs -- which is that the focus moving forward
needs to not just be TMT, but the management of all of Mauna Kea.

OHA trustee Rowena Akana says Governor Ige's proposal affords an opportunity for a complete revision of the way Mauna Kea is safe-guarded.

"While the mountain holds many different things and feelings for different people, but for me the bottom line -- is if you cannot take
care of the land then you should not be in charge of it. You should not be able to manage it," said Akana.

Governor David Ige says that's exactly why he has asked the University of Hawaii to voluntarily return over 10,000 acres of Mauna Kea
land that is not needed for astronomy and start a new review of the consequences of development.

"We're asking the university to re-file the application for the lease extension and as part of that -- it does require a full environmental
impact statement, which has to include a cultural impact statement as well. So we do hope there is an opportunity for many to weigh in and provide additional comments on management of Mauna Kea," said Ige.

OHA trustee Peter Apo says the Governor's plan may finally secure a long-standing wish to return it to its natural state.

"If we can keep our eye on the future and think of it as a long-term project to finally clear the mountain of all commercial activity.
I think that is a very achievable goal and something worth pursuing," said Apo.

Hawaii News Now political analyst Colin Moore says while he understands folks who have been protesting TMT development are likely disappointed, he believes they lost this battle but ultimately won the greater war in their fight to protect Mauna Kea and sacred spaces.

"This really is a victory for this style of civil disobedience. People really can change the outcome of things," said Moore, an assitant
professor of Political Science at the University of Hawai'i at Manoa. "It caused the scientific, the astronomical community to take a lot of soul searching about their own impact on the mountain and I think it caused people who aren't Native Hawaiian to think really seriously about this issue. No matter what happens there's going to be a lot more support for stewardship of Mauna Kea."

TMT officials have not rolled out a timeframe for construction, but say they will continue their ongoing dialogue with all stakeholders.

Aloha Aina advocates who stand in protection of Mauna Kea say they will not give up.

SMFH. JMO.
Let me see if i got this ok.

1) More handouts
2) More restrictions to us of the lesser races
3) It doesn't solve the problems and the "protestors" will keep doing what they are doing (lawsuits and protests)

Wonderful...

I didn't witness the following, so it's second-hand information. Please bear that in mind. Apparently, this morning, there were some protestors at the CSO office parking lot in Hilo. The police were called and dispersed them, but there were reports of a drone being used to peer into office windows and photos of people's cars being taken. If true, the latter is a little disturbing.