Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT Work to Resume Says Ige!
quote:
Originally posted by dakine

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron S

I didn't expect this to happen. The Hawaii Supreme Court's decision to transfer the TMT CDUP appeal has expedited the final adjudication of this case. If the appeal had gone through the ICA, that decision would be likely appealed to the Hawaii Supreme Court anyway. In short, we're probably much closer to some kind of closure with this decision.

http://hpr2.org/post/tmt-case-taken-hawa...reme-court

I think this is great and find the absence of posts about it by the likes of PM2 and PaulW ext., i.e. the extremely vocal it'll never happen flag waving Americans who seem so insulated by even the mention of Hawaiian rights and the entire issue of reparations for the crimes of their forefathers, to be conspicuously missing. I mean gee, after all the time we have been told the Hawaiians are full of crap and have not a leg to stand on the Hawaii Supreme Court seems to think, right or wrong, they do, at least to the point of warranting a hearing of they complaint!

Amen!

I have to take issue with the whole "crimes of their forefathers" blame casting. Unless you are talking about descendants of the people who overthrew the Kingdom of Hawaii, and profit from that overthrow today, these were not the crimes of anyone's forefathers. You can't hold living people responsible for actions taken by long dead individuals they may share nothing with other than skin pigmentation. None of my ancestors lived in the United States before the American Civil War, the only thing I have in common with southern plantation owners is pale skin, is that enough to make me responsible for slavery in the United States?

Similarly, my ancestors were basically serfs living under the thumbs of large land owners in south central Europe when the overthrow happened here, they had more in common with the maka'ainana than the sugar plantation owners, so what exactly would be the crimes of my forefathers?

There is no question the overthrow casts a long shadow over Hawaii, but using phrases like "the crimes of their forefathers" to lay blame for actions taken over a century ago on those living today is not productive or likely to add to the discourse.
Maybe the Hawaii Supreme Court just wants all this crap to be over.
Promises made must be kept. Otherwise, we are back to mistrust.

"Back to" implies that trust was ever given.

I wonder if the anti-TMT groups can accept a decision that upholds the TMT's CDUP.

I find this ironic: as the anti-TMT factions insist that "their" mountain is sacred under pre-contact rules, how can they also condescend to the jurisdiction of a US court?

only option in this scenario is to petition the US Supreme Court

Unless the TMT becomes a matter of "international trade" governed by treaty (such as the TPP currently in secret negotiations), at which point merely "national" courts and laws are irrelevant.
oh you nutty dakine.

let's see, what do we have here...

"flag waving Americans"

so now anyone who isn't rallying behind the sovereign Kingdom of Puna 2015 fandango is "flag waving".

"Hawaiians are full of crap"

completely your own idiotic words. defining a group as distinct by DNA profile and then talking as if everyone is so homogenized as to have a single voice. nice.

"Hawaiian rights"

so much racial oppression in Hawaii 2015. how about everyone's rights as applicable under anti-discrimination laws.

and last but not least, "crimes of their forefathers"

rather theatrically grandiose expression there, but anyway... i mention working in the fields picking pineapple for Dole back in the day and -SHAZAM- now i am an heir. wahoo!

"You can't hold living people responsible for actions taken by long dead individuals they may share nothing with other than skin pigmentation."

It's still a matter of perspective;

We've clearly improved(race relations). So, when some white kid on Facebook starts asking why there isn't a White History Month, it's because, in his lifetime, he's seen that minorities and other marginalized groups have made greater gains relative to his own, without realizing they're still not on his level. He's only seen the part of the game in which these groups have scored the last five touchdowns, but is missing the fact that the score was 64-0 when that streak started.

thank you for that, Ambassador Snorkle, diplomatic representative of the fair skinned race.

mixed Japanese-Chinese-Filipino-English-Hawaiian-Norwegian-Portuguese-Samoan-Scottish-PuertoRican people of Hawaii and the world, stand up, unite. down with the oppressors.
"so insulated"? "they complaint"?

Proof that racists like dakine are stupid. Or drunk at 6am.

Please tell me more about the crimes of my forefathers, knowing nothing whatsoever about me or where I'm from.
these groups have scored the last five touchdowns, but is missing the fact that the score was 64-0 when that streak started.

So the score is now 64-35 (assuming extra points are made). One or two guys on the minority team decide to display a little bravado and tell the Caucasian Non-Descendants they, the minority team, are invoking "Home Field Advantage." They arbitrarily pick a time and claim that is when the game actually started (which coincides with the start of their scoring drive), and they win 35-0. So hit the showers.

Chaos breaks out on the field, even a majority of the minority players don't know what these "Home Field Advantage" guys are talking about. Some of the Caucasian Non-Descendents try to explain they had nothing to do with making the rules of this particular football game, they just showed up to play, but maybe it's not really fair to unilaterally change the rules half way through the game? But they're told part of "Home Field Advantage" is not to question the home field players, in fact it's considered kind of rude...
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
“It will afford me unfeigned satisfaction if my kingdom can add its quota toward the successful accomplishment of the most important astronomical observation of the present century and assist, however humbly, the enlightened nations of the earth in these costly enterprises…” ~ King Kal#257;kaua, September 1874

AS QUOTED IN THE PACIFIC COMMERCIAL ADVERTISER, UPON ARRIVAL OF A BRITISH EXPEDITION OF ASTRONOMERS TO HAWAII
FYI: (*Hawaii News Now)

Lisa Kubota

BREAKING: The Thirty Meter Telescope partners have decided to restart construction atop Mauna Kea on June 24. Work on the project stopped back in April after activists blocked crews heading up the mountain.
Statement from Henry Yang, Chair of the TMT International Observatory Board:...

"After more than two months of consultation, education, and dialogue with many stakeholders, we humbly announce that the TMT International Observatory Board has decided to move ahead to restart the construction of the Thirty Meter Telescope on the morning of Wednesday, June 24. Our period of inactivity has made us a better organization in the long run. We are now comfortable that we can be better stewards and better neighbors during our temporary and limited use of this precious land, which will allow us to explore the heavens and broaden the boundaries of science in the interest of humanity."

"We look forward to a positive relationship with all Hawaiians, while we understand that the majority of Hawaii's people are supporting the TMT project. We deeply respect and are mindful of those who have concerns, and yet, we hope they will permit us to proceed with this important task while reserving their right to peaceful protest."

"As done at any construction site, we plan to first investigate and assess any possible oil leakage and ensure we can provide proper maintenance of machines and equipment so they operate safely and correctly - in order to protect Maunakea and preserve the sensitive environment. We will then begin to repair and install fencing in the interest of public safety."

"As we proceed, TMT is open and willing to allow cultural practitioners in the area of the construction site to continue customary and traditional practices. Allowing this practice to continue to occur will require further dialogue and mutual agreement to work out the details in order to establish a cooperative and harmonious environment for all parties."

"In an effort to be sensitive to and observant of the Native Hawaiian host culture, we will deepen our knowledge of the cultural, ecological, and spiritual aspects of the mountain and continue to learn how to better respect and appreciate Maunakea's important cultural areas."

"On behalf of TMT, I want to express our sincere appreciation to the people in Hawaii for their understanding and support."

Watch Hawaii News Now at 9 and 10 for reaction to this latest development.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/29370...icials-say

ETA: New link to story