Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT Work to Resume Says Ige!
Why did they bring rocks from Kona? Plenty of rocks already there.

Almost as many rocks on the mountain as there are stars in the sky.
A telescope won't help you answer questions about the rocks though.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
IMHO the only construction workers that should be heading up to the summit at this time are those that would be deconstructing a decommissioned telescope before the TMT is built on a new pad with more road building.

I'm pro science, pro TMT actually. My uncle was VP of Lockheed's Space Division which built the Hubble Telescope and he was involved with the Apollo and Shuttle space programs. My grandfather pioneered the Skunk Works 70 years ago at Lockheed and was responsible for the SR-71 and U2 as Chief Inspector.

However, IMHO Mauna Kea should be limited to just a few and only the best, most advanced telescopes in the world with a maximum lease to operate for 25 years. Mauna Kea has always been a sacred connection to the universe, but it should not be covered like this...

https://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/maps/summit_map.shtml

I believe there needs to be respect for the Hawaiian culture and history, there is no evidence of that on Mauna Kea today. My first visit to the summit years ago I was surprised by how much the astronomical community has had their way with development all these years and I had an overwhelming feeling of disrespect for the Hawaiian culture up there. My wife did too. I wonder how many visitors feel the same way when they first visit? It must really be difficult for the Hawaiian people to go up there. There's nothing to honor this beautiful native culture and history of our beautiful island on Mauna Kea.

There are many places on earth people consider sacred. For me in my life it is Yosemite. For others it is the Grand Canyon or Waimea Canyon or Mauna Kea. If people did not consider such places sacred they would be ruined and not preserved for future generations.

The only other construction I would support is to build a Mauna Kea Hawaiian Cultural Center across the road from the visitors center and up hill a bit, but not at the summit, to honor the culture and history of the Hawaiian people on Mauna Kea. Crowdfunding sites could raise enough money to build it with world support and hundreds of volunteers, if not thousands, would want to help build it. The Merrie Monarch Festival could have an opening ceremony there at sunrise on Wednesday of Merrie Monarch week.

This is a tough situation for Gov. Ige, a compromise is needed rather than sending in the National Guard. To build TMT we need to fast track decommissioning and deconstruct some of those twentieth century telescopes as soon as possible and return the land to its orginal state.

Hopefully it will remain peaceful up there. I feel for the astonomers such as Tom caught in the middle who are just doing what they love, their passion, at the best place in the world to do astronomy. However, most of the astonomers now work remotely from Hilo and Waimea, not up on the summit. And they are working for all of mankind, for Hawaiians too.
sorry SBH, but the politically correct, culture on a pedestal, over-the-top demanding of reverence thing is getting so completely worn out already. i mean i love laulau and all, but starting to feel like being force fed by the sacred dozen at a cultural training camp.
IMHO the only construction workers... would be deconstructing a decommissioned telescope before the TMT is built on a new pad with more road building.

And therein lies the problem.
You would accept a solution as long as it doesn't allow one additional telescope to be placed on the summit. Others, like the protestors, don't want to see even one telescope on the mountain.

It's easier to find an exo-planet light years away orbiting comfortably in the Goldilocks Zone, than to find a Goldilocks Zone in Hawaii where both TMT supporters and protestors can exist together, and everything is j.u.s.t right.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Would you build a company in a place where people don't seem to want jobs?

Look no further than the protestors in front of Walgreen's with their banner about "area standard wages" -- they seem perfectly happy to be unemployed sign-wavers.

quote:
It's easier to find an exo-planet light years away orbiting comfortably in the Goldilocks Zone

Steal another earth; imperialist dreams, fun game but it is the stuff that makes Hollywood rich and you poor. The days of stealing paradise are over, pretty much. The future is what we can make not what we can take, brighter and more fantastic than anything you can possibly imagine.

Driving this message home is something that might be accomplished by this controversy.
***Still can't figure out how to spell 'car' correctly***
Hmmm, I've always wondered about those sign wavers... I still remember that place when the bookstore was there. I always went there to check out the new books and mags + get some coffee. Was a long time ago.....

Anyway, the sign wavers have been there for what? 10 years now? I think they must get paid part time (union pay out - dues) to stand out there in front of the union banner? Then I would assume the state would (unimployment) benifits would kick in to make up the rest? Plus, I'm sure they would qualify for food stamps and what not.

I'm thinking if this was on the mainland a lot more jobs and better oppurtunites to be had ... but what kinda oppurtunities are there really here? Not much, so, sign waving sounds like a pretty good gig. Not only that.......But, siriously, I'd rather be outside part time than a slave working inside fulltime.

I just find it interesting to see how long these people will hold out. I've noticed however that the croud has thinned out a lot since it first started. Probably people going back to the mainland, or just giving up. But, gotta hand it to them for the dedication. Only in hawaii (big island), under these unique situations do you see this. Plenty of walgreens on the mainland and I've not seen anyone standing around outside, even on Oahu no one outside. I wonder if they will make a record of some sort, for the longest ongoing union debate?
Goldilocks Zone... Steal another earth

I think the excitement behind the discovery of an exo-planet is the prospect of life elsewhere in the universe. It's not to steal a planet and create a second earth, as we have no way of even getting there.

Except of course if we travel in a CGI infused Hollywood blockbuster starring Bruce Willis and maybe Emily Blunt as the feisty yet steadfast ensign who always has the captain's back. And ALWAYS follows the Prime Directive which clearly states:

No Star Fleet personnel may interfere with the healthy development of alien life and culture.

It's the future, we're a wiser civilization and yeah, I'll pay a few bucks for that.
It is so sad to see how many people are being totally misinformed. Hawai'i is throwing a tremendous opportunity away. I wish there were a mountain high enough where I am. Here, we would kiss the ground to have so much investment in our community, plus the proximity to one of the most wonderful places for science in the world. Plus I think we would not stand in the way of seven years' worth of negotiation. That would have been plenty of time for protests, and making them in a timely manner, instead of making it look like final agreements with us could never be trusted.

From here it looks like there is not the political will to do the right thing, which would be to inform the people what is really going on, and also to honor the results of so much negotiation. A tragedy.

Pam in CA
Pam in CA
Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't it be hard to work with a telescope remotely if the telescope were not there?

Doesn't anyone care about the exciting astronomy being done up there? The ancients would have been thrilled.

Pam in CA
Pam in CA