Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT Work to Resume Says Ige!
http://bigislandnow.com/2015/07/08/feder...mauna-kea/
- Posted on July 8, 2015

Federal Suit Alleges Religious Limits on Mauna Kea

"On June 24, people in opposition of the Thirty Meter Telescope project atop Mauna Kea successfully kept TMT construction crews from reaching their work site. In a document, provided by Simkin, seeking to gain a Temporary Restraining Order against the state, the plaintiff states that the rocks placed on the Mauna Kea access road were placed there β€œto deescalate the increasing tension between the Protectors and the Department of Land and Natural Resources enforcement officers.”"

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFF ...right.
A lawsuit has been filed in Federal District Court alleging... agencies are restricting cultural and religious practices on the mountain.

Does anyone recall any large sacred gatherings on Mauna Kea before these protests? Wouldn't the plaintiffs need to show a prior history of large scale cultural and religious events on the mountain? Otherwise, don't the protestors look like they are making it up as they go along?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
That is not what the protesters who blocked the road to everyone told observatory staff who tried to get to the summit. Staff were told that the road would only be opened if they went back down and told TMT staff to give up building the TMT in a pretext of trying to turn the observatories against the TMT. Nothing to do with the DLNR and there are plenty of witnesses to this. Really getting fed up with the lies.
HOTPE - the only stuff I ever saw were large gatherings for solstices and equinoxes. (Don't know if those are the correct plural spellings!). These groups were even accommodated at Hale Pohaku (the astronomers' residence; not open to the public normally) before they headed up the mountain. Both colleagues and I have even helped administer emergency medical help to some who suffered the effects of altitude up there. Those are the only times I've witnessed any cultural or religious visits.
Arnotts tours and lodge is probably losing some revenue over these new laws or developments taking place a top maunakea. Is Arnotts the only summit tour offered from the hilo side, or are their others? The hotels on Kona side dominate the summit tours, and most of our local beaches or resourses too for that matter. Car rental companies like Budget must have been making a killing off of the summit tourism as well. If groups of 10 or more are NOT going to be allowed to visit the summit, would that include tourists visiting, or the work teams from the observatories as well? If those in charge have failed the mountain to this point, why keep them or trust them working on creating new rules or laws for the mountains future?
JMO, The side of the TMT project took 7 long years to get all their permits legally in place to begin construction( good job). TMT knew for at least that long (7 years)that they were eventually going to have to deal or see the local (protectors) over this issue. Time is needed by these protectors, in hopes to bring some of maunakea's original look or environment back. The Hawaiians may need time(7 years)to practice and promote their hopefully(UNDISTURBED)Hawaiian culture atop maunakea again. Maybe then the two sides could work together with common interests, priorities, respect, and Aloha.

Saddle road has changed more than its name in the past decade. While I am not sure who initially paid for the new road between our mountains( county tax payers,state, government, or summit touring rentals and resorts)? One million new tourists every year are expected to visit the maunakea summit area once the TMT project is complete. The Up keep or up grading costs to this saddle road and the Maunakea road over the years is going to be paid by who, (TMT, keck, resorts, car rentals)? Maybe its already factored into the added 18% resort tax fee, or the many kama'aina special rates?

P.S. I would like my own summit car rental business, or a summit tour business leaving from Puna? Arnotts or Budget could use the compitition on this side, especially with the extra cruise ships and air traffic coming into hilo these days. I am looking for investors immediately, maybe we can be in business before the road is reopened or unblocked? That is unless they do what is right, and put a very large KAPU sign for everyone at the top of maunakea?

So now a lawsuit-Simkin by the Temple of Lono. Here is an excerpt from their "kahuna" Nobriga.

For thousands of years, the Kahunas of Hawai'i have prayed for the success of the trust placed in the Hawaiian people to take care of (malama) the 'aina – the land, the sea, the air, and all the creatures therein. In these perilous times, the Kahuna rises each day to
greet the Sun with prayers for abundance and protection for the life of the land. The
concern runs deep.http://maoliworld.ning.com/group/huikaiula/forum/topics/temple-of-lono-document-frank

That sounds nice but I was surprised that these people have been here for thousands of years. I was of the impression that all the humans on these islands are haole, i.e. none are indiginous, all came here relatively recently from elsewhere.

All of the protestors seem to spout hyperbole and justify their actions based on this dictionary definition:

"A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object...
β€’ a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister. "

the only stuff I ever saw were large gatherings for solstices and equinoxes.

----------------

Most of those people that go up for those events are Native American and/or haole...
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...protesters

Can anyone explain how those arrested and charged with a crime can get out of a trial and conviction via some reigious ceremony?

If I steal a new truck from toyota tomorrow can I claim ho-oponopono in lieu of a trial? If I admit I was wrong and do some reigious ceremonies am I off the hook?

What happened to separation of church and state?

Whats wrong with Mitch Roth?
What happened to separation of church and state?

Roger Christie should ask for a new trial after the TMT protestors have finished setting prcedent.
If Hooponopono is generally used between family members, how will it apply between representatives of the state & arrested protestors? It seems this goes far beyond the dynamics involved in a family dispute. Not to mention that when problems arise between relatives, often it's undefined boundaries that are crossed. In this case, laws were broken.

Three defendants in the case filed a motion asking for hooponopono (ho-OH'-po-noh-po-noh) as an alternative to a trial. Hooponopono is traditionally used within families to work out differences, using prayer and discussion.

Hawaii County Prosecuting Attorney Mitch Roth said his office supports the motion. He met with a group of defendants Monday night to discuss how the unique process may be used in a criminal case that is rooted in protesters' belief that they are protecting Mauna Kea, a site they consider sacred, from desecration.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/07/hooponopono-alternative-hawaii-telescope-arrest_n_7749582.html?utm_hp_ref=hawaii&ir=Hawaii
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves