Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential restrictions to Mauna Kea access
"I am not Hawaiian, but I was born in Kealakekua and raised in Kailua-Kona."
Sounds very Hawaiian to me.
quote:
Originally posted by Kapoho Joe

What does any of that have to do with the TMT?

Most of the people protesting don't recognize the US as the lawful government of Hawaii. They believe we are being illegally occupied since there is no treaty of annexation.

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron S

I strongly believe there is silent majority who would be opposed to restoring the Hawaiian Kingdom. I am not Hawaiian, but I was born in Kealakekua and raised in Kailua-Kona. I'm strongly opposed to restoring the kingdom on the grounds that it wouldn't be in the best interests all of the residents of Hawaii.

There are two arguments against your statement. One being that we aren't sure what the outcome would be if the Hawaiian Kingdom was back in power. Second and probably the most important is that if it were found that the US had been occupying Hawaii and had no legal rights to the lands, then all of the Hawaiian nationals(whether Kanaka or people who can show that their family were Hawaii nationals) are the only ones who's best interest matter. It's like if you bought a house. It's a great house and the best you could ever get. You spend a lot on renovations and what not and make it your dream house. Well after a few years go by and you find out the house actually belongs to someone else. They were just were in a coma or something. You'd have to move and try to get your money back from the person who illegally sold you the house, not the people who actually owned the house. You also wouldn't be able to live in the house unless the person allowed you to.

But again, I'd like to stress this is all if it is found that the US is occupying Hawaii and has no legal right to it.

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron S

You can quote me on this. I will spend every waking moment of my life fighting against the restoration of the Hawaiian Kingdom - if it reached that point. It would be huge mistake on several levels and would benefit everyone that lives here. I'd rather be US citizen and have the rights afforded me instead of being a citizen of a kingdom that will likely restrict your rights.

Again, you're jumping to conclusions as to what rights you would be afforded under the Kingdoms laws. Also, it isn't like the US is the gold standard for human rights.

quote:
Originally posted by PunaMauka2

You need not be concerned, Aaron. dakine can vent his kngdom hot air all he likes on the internet.

Before even engaging in a ludicrous debate, can anyone describe a legal avenue whereby a U.S. state can revert to a kingdom.

The US itself wouldn't be "reverting" to a Kingdom. It would be a deoccupation.
Friendly Questions for you Kaimana please.

Do you think this ( Hawaiian Kingdom ) will happen ever ?

Is it really so bad here right now ?

thanks.
aloha,
pog
"...it would be a deoccupation"

Kaimana,

Describe the legal avenue for this to actually occur (in whichever Newspeak terms you want to call it by). How do you envision it becomming reality, beyond just saying so on Punaweb world court.
you find out the house actually belongs to someone else. They were just were in a coma or something... You also wouldn't be able to live in the house unless the person allowed you to.

If the person was in a coma since 1893*, and didn't pay taxes on the house since then, they would lose all claim to the property. You can call the Hawaii County Real Estate Tax Office for details.

* even since 1993
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
POG- Probably not. US is too invested for them to let it go. Also it's not bad, but it's not right either.

PunaMauka2- It would look similar to when Germany had to deoccupy all the territory they were occupying.
Kaimana, seriously. That was at the end of a world war with the defeat of a fascist dictator named Hitler. The power and authority to defeat and enforce the deoccupation of territory invaded by Nazi armies came with the cost of million of lives. Where do you see the power and authority originating from to mandate and enforce a reinstated Kingdom in place of the U.S. state of Hawaii?

That fantastical analogy of yours aside, you continue to sidestep my fundamental question to you. By what legal avenue do you realistically see this reinstated kingdom taking the place of the State of Hawaii. Let's keep it real now shall we.
PM2 @ 12:37:00
Thanks for the persistence in trying to get an answer.
We may never get one.

http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/news/loca...ency-rules

These are the first arrests made under the emergency rule signed by Gov. David Ige that prohibits certain camping gear and prohibits being within a mile of Mauna Kea Access Road during late-night hours.

Additional law enforcement efforts can continue at anytime while the rule is in effect, DLNR added.

The arrests came on the same day that 20 people were arrested on Maui for attempting to slow the construction of the Haleakala Telescope.

PM2, I never thought of the tax situation. Very interesting.

Pam in CA
Pam in CA