Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT Work to Resume Says Ige!
Mahalo for the tip on viewing, Mr. Tom!

Seriously, this hearing is brutal. Do NOT dance with the Supreme Court Justices. They do not play games.

The UH lawyer is like [:0] when questioned by Justice McKenna.

Then, Justice Nakiyama is grilling him and he's like this: [:0] again.

Then, the other Justice (missed his name, but between 49:00-1:15:00 which include all three of them grilling him), he's like this: [B)]

I feel bad for him, he's so flustered, and apologizing too much. TMT may end up having to sue the State of Hawai'i for this entire debacle.

No matter the decision by the Supreme Court, the protectors will not "stand down". Half the courtroom was filled with "Hawaiian Nationals", who were there just to support the few who filed the case in the "fake State of Hawai'i" (Their opinion).

The UH/State took a slight beating today, and the lawyers were all questioned thoroughly. This is moving forward, thankfully, and I believe, this group of Justices are VERY well versed, and can make a sound ruling.

Man alive, they are brutal in questioning, and interrupt the lawyers at will (thankfully).

JMO.

Maybe this should be on a separate thread, but the best way I can describe my reaction to your post, Punatic007, is cautious skepticism. I find it hard to believe any professional astronomers would say that the TMT will be obsolete if and when it's built. It's certainly not my opinion and have never heard another professional astronomer I know make such a claim. Perhaps you're just using the wrong word? There is certainly some competitiveness when it comes to building the first very large optical telescope, but it doesn't mean the second one to be built will be obsolete. In the end, the science they generate is of most interest to astronomers.

Couple more points - I agree the Europeans have their act together when it comes to this stuff although I don't know if ultimately it'll work out best. Europe has the centralized ESO whereas the US has a much looser astronomical organization. Asian astronomical communities are more interested in trying to emulate ESO rather than the US model, but whether that's the way to go, I can't say.

As for Sofia, a bunch of my friends and colleagues certainly moved away to work there. It can do some things ground-based observatories have trouble doing, but it is rather specialized and is not capable of carrying out most of the observations the MK observatories do. Having said that, I strongly considered working there as they do the science I'm interested in, but living in Palmdale gave me second thoughts!
Palmdale is horrible[Sad]

Pam in CA
Pam in CA
"I feel bad for him, he's so flustered, and apologizing too much. TMT may end up having to sue the State of Hawai'i for this entire debacle."

I think it's time for me to dig out my Boston Legal DVDs. It's been a while since I watched that superb show. Pam will know what I mean!
I jokingly mentioned to a colleague half a world away that the Volcano Goddess will protect us from Ignacio and he replied
"Let's see if she still protects after (the military was it?) the satelite project is finished on the holy Vulcano grounds."
Oh boy.
this group of Justices are VERY well versed, and can make a sound ruling

Which the protestors will refuse to accept, because they believe the court has no juridisiction over them. (Unless the ruling is against TMT, in which case the protestors will be proud to participate.)
Civil Beat appears to give them good coverage...

Subscribe now for just $4.99/month!
I jokingly mentioned to a colleague half a world away that the Volcano Goddess will protect us from Ignacio and he replied,"Let's see if she still protects after (the military was it?) the satelite project is finished on the holy Vulcano grounds."
Oh boy.

lol Sounds like that colleague watched a certain romantic comedy recently.
quote:
Originally posted by dakine
At the very least DLNR has mud on their face, and the TMT is a long way from a done deal. Even if the justices decide in the TMT's favor I think the way the issue has been received clearly upholds the issues raised by the Hawaiians as valid concerns.

They may be valid concerns, but if the HawSCT upholds the lower Court's ruling the project will move forward regardless. There is only two ways this project won't move forward A) If the Court invalidates the TMT's CDUP, or B) refers it back to the BLNR for further consideration.

I hope for everyone's sake they do not decide to refer this back to the BLNR. It will continue this divisive atmosphere where nobody wins. The whole community will be held hostage by this circus once again. The end game will probably be same if it goes this route. Then what will the opponents do then? File another lawsuit??
Mauna Kea: “Did you look hard enough to see if there was impacts?” she asked skeptically. The observatories have a history of accidentally spilling sewage

Waikiki: Miles of beaches are still closed Monday night after about half a million gallons of raw sewage overflowed on Atkinson Drive and then poured into the Waikiki side of Magic Island.

Isn't Waikiki where many of the ali'i lived? Isn't it historically (and somewhat questionably) known as The Gathering Place? Where is the outrage? 500,000 gallons of raw sewage in a matter of hours. How much sewage have the observatories spilled in 30 years?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves