Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
recent arrival of giant snails to Orchidland
Poultry have been eating slugs ever since humans learned how to write and record it. It must be a very slow death. In fact so slow, that it kills them at about the same time they die of old age.

ETA: Smart ass comment.
thank you for your insightful comment terra , I would like to know which poultry book you read for that information everything i have read or researched over the years gives a different interpretation on the subject . good luck with your snail population.
Since I am a plant person, I have a problem with using table salt to kill snails, slugs, etc. It is toxic to plants, i.e. the Romans spreading salt over their enemies fields. More or less any chemical (salt) fertilizer will have the same effect and is not toxic to plants in reasonable amounts.

Allen
Finally in HPP
Allen
Finally in HPP
Allen,
I don't think anyone was suggesting spreading salt around to kill the snails. Rather, dump the snails into a container of salt or salt water.

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>
Actually, people did sometimes suggest sprinkling salt on snails and slugs in Organic Gardening, but I agree that was not the suggestion here. However, it is still easier to dispose of a container of fertilizer than one of table salt, although down the toilet is not that hard.

Allen
Finally in HPP
Allen
Finally in HPP
sprinkle your perimeter with Coffee grounds. and the leftovers from your morning coffee in a squirt gun. http://www.plantea.com/slug-baits-coffee.htm
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
We use bare copper wire to kill snails,slugs and frogs .
It kills them instantly and they never return,must be a coconut wireless amongst the snail / slug and frog population .
Works great .We wrap the bare copper wire around the base of tree's,fences,veggy tables in the green houses and away with these slimy critters.
The large Cane toads though do not seem affected what so ever .Maybe they do not exude the slime factor .

Mrs Mimosa
I'll add them to my list of 'starvation prevention cuisine' for such time as the grocery stores are all smoking ruins and the internet goes flat. It is coming.

---------------------------

You can't fix Samsara.
Because of the rat-lungworm problem I treat our lot for both rats and slugs/snails.
Keep in mind that slugs/snails are the vector that produces RLW in the stage that is infectious to people.

A couple of tamper resistant rat bait boxes with Bromathalin and Diphacinone based baits seemed to have removed the rats and mongooses. Nothing has been touching the baits and no other signs of either being around for a couple of months now.
Then, treating every couple of weeks with iron phosphate keeps the slugs/snails away. No more slime trails on the lanai and carport slabs or the sidewalks. It's almost like paradise again.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
Do you have a specific brand name of rat bait you prefer?