Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT Work to Resume Says Ige!
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa
Oahu residents don't have to live with the "12-year construction nightmare" and/or the "blighted landscape", nor will their taxes be raised to pay for TMT. Why does their opinion matter?

If my memory is correct, construction of the TMT should be wrapped in 2024. This is nine years away, not 12 years.

Why will our taxes be raised because of the TMT? This is a privately funded telescope project.

"Blighted landscape." This is a load of bunk. Its my understanding this telescope will be viewable from small segment of the island due its placement on the mountain. Please read the contested case hearing officer's decision from mid-2013.

http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/occl/files/2013/0...cision.pdf
I love how people can pick and choose which modern technologies they want to 'see'.. As the septic in their backyard or the power lines/telephone/or road going to their driveway... Or the car sitting in said driveway... Or the satellite dish mounted on their roof...etc..etc..etc.. ..blah..blah rabble.rabble.

Work..Consume...Obey - There's your meaning of life....
Dory,

"I don't think the people of Hamakua see it that way."

How arrogant of you that you feel you can speak for all of the people of Hamakua. Unless you can show your claim is true, just apologize right now. Don't email your apology to people you've insulted like you've done in the past, apologize on punaweb. Show everyone you have the guts to do it.
I've watched the NASA videos on utube, and googled this thing to death. These people have no clue how to build a warp drive.

Information theory trumps physics. It is a software problem.

---------------------------

You can't fix Samsara.
If my memory is correct, construction of the TMT should be wrapped in 2024. This is nine years away, not 12 years.

Pahoa roundabout "should" take 9 months; it took over 2 months just to break ground.

12 years is a conservative estimate.
Its my understanding this telescope will be viewable from small segment of the island...

I don't think the people of Hamakua see it that way

I believe we have at least one member of Punaweb (AKpilot?) who lives on the Hamakua coast. Perhaps she could let us know, as a representative of "the people of Hamakua" how she imagines the TMT will affect her view of Mauna Kea?

Anyone else live up Hamakua way? What do you think?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
the Hawaiians are re-forming a government, a representative body, and once that is done it is very likely the focus of their attention will be to negotiate the return of land... If so all the telescopes, and whether or not they stay or get built at all, will be a matter for the Hawaiian people to decide.

The Hawaiian government may be a long time coming. The proposed vote currently on the table is not even close to being universally supported by the Hawaiian people. It may or may not take place. If it does take place it may be rescinded or replaced with a more democratic proposal that represents a greater number of Hawaiians.

The imminent uprising of the Hawaiian Nation as promised by the 200-300 protesters on Mauna Kea, and the 1000 marchers in Honolulu never materialized. The estimate of 10,000 people marching in Honolulu was a mythical number pulled out of thin air by the organizer of the protest himself, and then reported by the Star-Bulletin. Read the newspaper account. Look at the photos. A more reasonable estimate would be 1000 anti-TMT & 1000 anti-GMO protesters marching.

The reformed Hawaiian government could take decades to organize. Then decades more for the transfer of power and land to take place. As an example, Hong Kong began negotiations with mainland China for transfer of the territory in the mid 1970's. The legal transfer took place in 1997.

A great deal of astronomical discovery can take place in 20 years. Did we even know there were planets outside of our own solar system 20 years ago?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Thanks to Hurricane Iselle. I can now see Mauna Kea from my house. Telescopes and all. Love the view. Just wish Iselle had taken down more of the Albizia trees to give me an even better view.
" But that is far from being a super majority, and very skewed by the Caucasians, Japanese, and Filipino votes. Clearly a large percentage of the Hawaiian community are against it."

But of course, dakine's racist mindset rears it's ugly head yet again. As if anyone who supports the TMT project and does not have the prerequisite DNA included in their racial background has "skewed" the results of a statewide opinion survey with their vote in favor of TMT.
quote:
Originally posted by dakine

"Blighted landscape." This is a load of bunk. Its my understanding this telescope will be viewable from small segment of the island...

I don't think the people of Hamakua see it that way.

What about the people who view the sight of telescopes on the mountain with pride as one of the few great things accomplished in Hawaii?