Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT Work to Resume Says Ige!
I am from Ohio and my dad collected dozens of arrowheads in the hills of the Ohio valley.This is what became of the indians in Ohio.

"There are no federally recognized Indian tribes in Ohio today.

Most Native Americans were forced to leave Ohio during the Indian Removals of the 1800's. These tribes are not extinct, but except for the descendants of Ohio Indians who escaped from Removal, they do not live in Ohio anymore. They were moved to Indian reservations in Oklahoma instead."
I was in Waimea last Thursday ...so many of the younger, more enthusiastic, people were driving around town with the Hawaiian flag attached to their trucks. I thought it was wonderful.

What I would find both wonderful and impressive is if I saw pickup trucks with Hawaiian flags flying in the wind, their beds filled with old tires, bottles, anything that allows water to collect and mosquitoes to breed. I'd think to myself, now there are some people who not only talk the talk about the aina, they walk the walk.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge
That law is rather limited in scope however, and doesn't seem like something that in and of itself defines an independent nation. It's a step in the right direction though.

As I noted in an earlier post, the road to independence can take a long time. How long has the Yaqui Tribe waited for this small change. 100 years? Or more?

Not to stray too far off topic, but tribal sovereignty used to be much more extensive but curtailed in 1978 in the Oliphant case. The Violence Against Women act was passed by Congress in 2013 to explicitly restore some limited power to prosecute non-members. The right of exclusion however dates much farther back and has been upheld as a core principle of sovereignty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliphant_v...dian_Tribe

As an aside, there have been Native Hawaiian groups arguing against Federal Recognition based in part on the ever changing definition and scope of sovereignty granted. Hopefully better and clearer agreements can be made IF a Hawaiian Government is formed and IF it chooses to work with the DOI.

As for Ige and TMT - work said to begin again this month with plenty of notice given.
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...rk-resumes
In it, on page 9, is a list of the major land owners who's land would be brought together to (initially) form the Hawaiian Nation. The list includes:
• Hawaiian Homes Lands

I'll be impressed if Hawaiian Homelands will give up control of the land they oversee. Right now they won't even give land to the Hawaiian people as their charter already directs them to do.

Let's hope construction of the TMT can proceed without incident this time.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
+1 HOTPE 10:16:36 Generally speaking, flag-waving is more of a negative than a positive in my opinion. It actually generates negative feelings for me. It is part of a loud outpouring of emotion that is not channeled in a useful way. Invasive species eradication and other wildlife/forestry causes would dovetail so nicely with the whole sacred aina idea but instead those waving the flags transport ants (and probably more) up to Mauna Kea because although they demand to run the show and in so many ways claim to have an innate affinity for the aina, when it comes to managing such mundane details as not tracking crap everywhere they are clueless.
Interesting.

You don't see a problem with this:

"The State of Hawai‘i shall acknowledge the jurisdiction of Ka Lahui Hawai‘i over its lands and natural
resources, including but not limited to
i. the total environment of the lands, air, water, coastal seas, submerged lands, #64258;ora and fauna, and other resources which we have traditionally owned or otherwise occupied or used, and
ii. surface and ground water, and energy resources"

And this:
"The power to exclude persons from National Territory"

Come on, everyone knows where this is heading.
--
Again, since you keep asking the same question of others:

What business is it of yours?
Let's see if dakine can top yesterday's definition-of-skewed non-answer.
“They first broke into our grandmother’s house with their shotgun pointed at her, and then it jammed,” he said. “And you think we are going to let you come in and fix your gun?"

Ridiculous and melodramatic, but exactly what I was expecting. Eventually the state and county are going to have to address some of the more overtly criminal aspects of this behavior.
For those who may not have seen this, the DLNR will be informing the TMT protesters when some limited TMT work will restart later this month.

"HILO — Thirty Meter Telescope opponents can expect to receive notice before contractors return to Mauna Kea later this month, according to a state Department of Land and Natural Resources spokesman."

http://westhawaiitoday.com/news/local-ne...rk-resumes

"Based on a verbal agreement with the Mauna Kea “protectors,” DLNR said it would tell them which day workers would return to the TMT site if they in return stopped camping on the mountain at night.

TMT opponent Lanakila Mangauil said the protesters expect the state to keep its part of the bargain.
"

I would add that let's hope the DLNR and the protesters keep their word.

Lets leave it to the experts and get these religious nuts off the Mountain.

http://www.techinsider.io/thirty-meter-t...ts-2015-10
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.