Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engineering malaria out of mosquitos
Might this be applied to Dengue Fever? Would the Puna crowd object?

Gene tech helping breed malaria-free mosquitoes

WASHINGTON - California researchers hatched some malaria-resistant mosquitoes and then gave evolution a shove - using a groundbreaking technology to ensure the insects pass on that protective gene as they reproduce, with implications far beyond the promise of fighting malaria.

The experiment reported Monday involves what's called a "gene drive," a technique that, if it pans out, promises to alter the genetics of populations of insects and certain plants and animals faster than Mother Nature could.

Normally, genes have a 50-50 chance of being inherited. University of California researchers created a strain of mosquitoes that could pass a specially engineered malaria-blocking gene to about 99 percent of their offspring.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gene-tech-he...osquitoes/
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Thanks Rob,

Bring 'em on ... Start testing right here @ my house ..

aloha,
pog
There is a company that has an effective approach to the Dengue problem.You can read about them here:

http://www.popsci.com/genetically-modifi...ighborhood

And the anti gmo side of the same story :

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articl...itoes.aspx

To answer your question Rob,yes the Puna Anti's will object loudly !
Rob: "Might this be applied to Dengue Fever? Would the Puna crowd object?"

Is there just one "Puna crowd" with a monolithic opinion? Or do we live in a diverse community with as many different opinions as we have people?

I think there are some people who would object, but I do not think they are the only voice of Puna. I for one think it would be a really good idea.
Can we just do away with mosquitos, period? If they do not have a crucial role in the grand ecological scheme, then give them all the kill gene. This is where we want our GMO's, not in food.
Obie,
Thanks for the informative anti-GMO skeeter link. According to Dr. Mercola I learned:

One of the first questions that comes to mind is, what happens if one of the GM mosquitoes bites you? Will their GM DNA be injected into your arm or leg?

The answer I'm sure, is yes. And it could have frightening implications.

As a young boy growing up in the Midwest, I was allowed to stay up Friday night to watch the Late Movie, always a low budget sci-fi flick or something similar like WASP WOMAN!, MOTHRA!, THE BLOB! etc.

So I know all too well that even if the GMO mosquitoes aren't subjected to dangerous nuclear radioactivity (GODZILLA!), Dr. Mercola has logically explained how we humans could still transform into hideous monsters should a GMO mosquito inject us with Genetically Modified DNA (in our arms or legs).

We'll pray we only had the dengue.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Night Stalker, Avengers .. Names for our "Hawaiian" mosquitoes of course : )

aloha,
pog
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

So I know all too well that even if the GMO mosquitoes aren't subjected to dangerous nuclear radioactivity (GODZILLA!)

Now you're just being silly. Everyone knows that:

Radioactivity + Insect Bite = SPIDERMAN

Based on my literature review (reading comic books as a child), we can deduce that a crime-fighting (albeit misunderstood) superhero will result, disabling villains by biting their ankles and sucking out their blood. His nemesis will be named... DOCTOR DEET.
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

Obie,
Thanks for the informative anti-GMO skeeter link. According to Dr. Mercola I learned:

One of the first questions that comes to mind is, what happens if one of the GM mosquitoes bites you? Will their GM DNA be injected into your arm or leg?

The answer I'm sure, is yes. And it could have frightening implications.

As a young boy growing up in the Midwest, I was allowed to stay up Friday night to watch the Late Movie, always a low budget sci-fi flick or something similar like WASP WOMAN!, MOTHRA!, THE BLOB! etc.

So I know all too well that even if the GMO mosquitoes aren't subjected to dangerous nuclear radioactivity (GODZILLA!), Dr. Mercola has logically explained how we humans could still transform into hideous monsters should a GMO mosquito inject us with Genetically Modified DNA (in our arms or legs).

We'll pray we only had the dengue.

Ch. 4 out of Terre Haute had Sammy Terry (ne'er do well son of the station owner) doing late Saturday night B horror and sci fi movies, I saw all those you listed, but The Fly was the one that scared the heck out of me. That last scene where the poor guy with the fly body and human head was stuck in a spider web and crying for help in his teeny tiny voice was just terrifying for a little kid whose baby sitter let him stay up late.
help meeeeeee

now can they de-croq the frogs?

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>