Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power,internet, and bringing a job with you
Jetpack and Cable Modem still work great in Leilani. I do my mainland job from there with minimal issues.
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present
just realized that his thread is one year old....

Since a year ago... road runner boosted it's speeds up to 300Megs down, and they put up a new cell tower in hawaiian beaches / shores so. 4G and 5 bars!

Life is good for internet services out here.
Seaview ... DSL

The DSL in Seaview is particularly broken: there just isn't enough backhaul for more than a few people to get any kind of performance -- Telcom's fiber stops in Leilani.
Verizon has an application in to put up a new tower in HPP, on Paradise at about 26th (?). No idea how long it will take.

Allen
Finally in HPP
Allen
Finally in HPP
Verizon Wireless 4G is a good option, if there isn't cable available. Verizon is building out more in HPP. I experienced dropped connectivity about once an hour with them, but I don't do conference calls that often now. My wife has better connectivity on her newer phone and the same service.

I expect there to be some additional options available within the next year, so I would keep checking back.
I have DSL in Orchidlands. Over the last 6 months they have added ports and covered a decent area. Mine has been totally reliable at 6.6 megs down and 1 up with no cap and has woked fine for Netflix and remote desktop. A neighbor has between 3 and 5 megs and is having some problem with consistancy. Next week I move to 30th inHPP and 100 meg down.
The Verizon tower in HPP would probably save us. @Gus why does Moving from OLE to 30th in HPP give you the big increase in speed?
Failed resorts have better infrastructure than failed developments (cable to every lot). There are some people doing fine with their online businesses and telecommuting. But it sounds like doing just fine can be very unpredictable. Some IT opening up, but a lot of speculative IT from 3 years ago has gone back to the mainland in the past year (possibly in the hundreds of people). The scenario described sounds like a very old equation, the equation for malihini meltdown. Everybody says "Jump!" but one person in the frenzied crowd will say "look down, the ride is exhilarating, until it ends". If you don't plan for Hawaii, Hawaii has plans for you.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

If you don't plan for Hawaii, Hawaii has plans for you.

I came here on vacation with no clue and never left. Pretty good plan!
Working on computer is essential for my ability to enjoy the Hawaiian lifestyle part-time. My work can be critically time-sensitive, and with Time Warner Oceanic internet service and a landline, no problems -- except if I were here full-time I would absolutely buy a nice big generator. If you want it to work, you can make it work.